Trump again legislates against children and families

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

1:11 AM - Jul 10, 2018 #1

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/w ... ution.html

Trump hates babies and families way more than the average person hates babies and families.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

2:07 AM - Jul 10, 2018 #2

Why on God's green earth should any poor person need infant formula?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

7:00 AM - Jul 10, 2018 #3

Jolly wrote:Why on God's green earth should any poor person need infant formula?
Scenarios are very easy to think up.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

11:03 AM - Jul 10, 2018 #4

E.g., the poor mother died, the poor baby needs formula.
E.g., the poor mother cannot lactate due to health issues, the poor baby needs formula.
E.g., the poor baby was born with lactose intolerance, the poor baby needs formula.

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

11:04 AM - Jul 10, 2018 #5

Horace wrote:Trump hates babies and families way more than the average person hates babies and families.
Why does Trump hates babies and families way more than the average person hates babies and families?

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

11:05 AM - Jul 10, 2018 #6

I wonder if the most obvious thing is going to occur to somebody.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

11:45 AM - Jul 10, 2018 #7

Aqua Letifer wrote:I wonder if the most obvious thing is going to occur to somebody.
You mean about the money angle?

Nah.

BTW, gentlemen, I was being mucho sarcastic about the poor people.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

2:05 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #8

Jolly wrote:
Aqua Letifer wrote:I wonder if the most obvious thing is going to occur to somebody.

Nah.

I think maybe people have given up on interpreting sarcasm and just take everything at face value now.

It's just crazy enough to work.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

9:00 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #9

Jolly wrote:

Nah.

No, I mean why you'd need formula.

ivorythumper
HOLY CARP!!!
ivorythumper
HOLY CARP!!!

9:43 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #10

I am posting this without comment, other than I trust the source who posted it.

For those concerned about the Trump admin voting against breastfeeding at the World Health Assembly. The issue boile down to an attempt by some nations to denigrate women who for whatever reason cannot or choose not to breastfeed.

Also, the claims that the US threatened Ecuador are "completely false", according to a high ranking HHS official who is known to me.

Here is the complete statement:

-----------------------

“Recent reporting attempts to portray the U.S. position at the recent World Health Assembly as ‘anti-breastfeeding’ are patently false. The United States has a long history of supporting mothers and breastfeeding around the world and is the largest bilateral donor of such foreign assistance programs. The issues being debated, were not about whether one supports breastfeeding. The United States was fighting to protect women’s abilities to make the best choices for the nutrition of their babies. Many women are not able to breastfeed for a variety of reasons, these women should not be stigmatized; they should be equally supported with information and access to alternatives for the health of themselves and their babies.” -Caitlin Oakley, HHS National Spokesperson

On background, attributable to HHS spox:

• HHS was the lead agency in negotiations on this resolution, and at no time were any such threats regarding trade sanctions in any conversation related to the negotiation of this resolution.
• Improving nutrition among mothers, infants and young children is an important public health priority for the United States government. The resolution as originally drafted placed unnecessary hurdles for mothers seeking to provide nutrition to their children. We recognize not all women are able to breastfeed for a variety of reasons. These women should have the choice and access to alternatives for the health of their babies, and not be stigmatized for the ways in which they are able to do so.

• Improving maternal, infant and young child nutrition is a priority shared among member nations of the WHA, and the U.S. appreciates the dedication and commitment of our fellow nations working on these issues.

• The U.S. shares a common objective with other countries to promote breastfeeding as well as adequate and timely complementary feeding. We also believe in ensuring breast-milk substitutes are properly used, when necessary, on the basis of adequate information and through appropriate marketing and distribution.

• The resolution as originally drafted would have run counter to that common objective – which is why the U.S. worked collaboratively with our public health colleagues from other nations to come to an agreement on this important public health issue during the most recent WHA.

• We understand and respect that countries can and should consider a range of factors when determining whether and how best to address food promotion in their national contexts, including national policies, impact assessments, priorities, and nutrition and feeding recommendations. For example, in the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration regulates health claims in advertisements to ensure they are truthful and not misleading.

• The resolution as originally drafted would have promoted undue impediments to the ability of nations to make such determinations.

• Through USAID, the U.S. has been helping countries to promote, protect and support breastfeeding as a way to reduce infant mortality and malnutrition for more than 45 years.

• As a result of these efforts and in partnership with others, exclusive breastfeeding rates have doubled across 20 of our priority nutrition countries between 1990 and 2014.

• The U.S. remains committed to working with fellow WHA members, with the WHO Secretariat, and with all stakeholders, including the private sector, to improve infant, child, and maternal health and nutrition through cost-effective and evidence-based measures tailored to national context.

And the statement (“draft” when I got it…but it’s the facts nonetheless) from the U.S. Embassy in Ecuador:

FYSA Ecuador embassy draft statement:

The accusations of threats to influence Ecuador’s decision regarding the resolution on breastfeeding at the World Health Assembly are completely false. We will continue to work with Ecuador for mutual benefit in the areas of security, trade, and prosperity.
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

10:00 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #11

Would you quit screwing up the TDS folks?...

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

10:16 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #12

Shocking. Just when I thought stories about how Trump hates babies and families were my portal to Truth.

I mean it just makes so much sense. A politician I hate? Who hates babies and families? I mean could that possibly be a coincidence? I SENSED his hatred of babies and families all along! And that's why I've never cared for him!

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

10:46 PM - Jul 10, 2018 #13

Am I wrong to consider it pretty screwed up that the NYT is publishing stories assassinating the character of the administration, which don't even pass a sniff test?

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

2:23 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #14

That’s comforting. I’m sure if this was actually the result of lobbying by formula manufacturers the HHS spokeswoman would have said so.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

2:41 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #15

It doesn't matter if it's partially to do with lobbying from private industry. What matters is the degree of special pleading which allows this to be blamed on Trump.

It's a real convenient argument to make since proving that it's special pleading would entail researching the history of these global baby formula politics - to whatever extent that research would even be possible.

But of course the primary convenience of the argument is that it is so easily framed as yet more evidence that Trump hates babies and families (particularly mothers). That's why it reeks so badly, and that's why it's awesome click bait for our hallowed NYT.

Fake news.

ivorythumper
HOLY CARP!!!
ivorythumper
HOLY CARP!!!

9:59 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #16

The dogma lives loudly within me.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

10:06 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #17

jon-nyc wrote:That’s comforting. I’m sure if this was actually the result of lobbying by formula manufacturers the HHS spokeswoman would have said so.
Pharmaceutical industry, lad.

Horace point still holds, though...

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

11:26 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #18

So does mine.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

1:54 AM - Jul 12, 2018 #19

jon-nyc wrote:So does mine.
Partially.

But 1)This wasn't quite how the paper portrayed it, and 2)Anybody would have to be head-banging stupid to think that pharma didn't have some input into this since after WW2.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

3:35 AM - Jul 12, 2018 #20

jon's point holds

...my point's balls.