TNCR move to Tapatalk

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 10:11 am #1

Apparently there's a preview of what the forum will look like soon.

index.php?

Do we need a plan about what to do if they screw the forum up?

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 10:22 am #2

Oh noes, the new editor for posts will be WYSIWIG. I hate it already.

I'm very unimpressed with the features the new forum is going to have. Very primitive compared to modern forum software like Discourse or myBB and the like. From what I can see, the only new "feature" is support for tables.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 10:36 am #3

I don't see any charm but I suppose we will get used to it.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 9th, 2018, 10:51 am #4

We'll need to get Sue to decorate the place.

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

July 9th, 2018, 10:56 am #5

I made a comment on the new site and it didn’t “take” here. Will miss the brutalist design of this site. No more seeing the forest for the trees.

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 10:57 am #6

I note that there is a "Donate" button for TNCR. Hmm...

I suppose it is in fact a "Donate" button for Tapatalk.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 9th, 2018, 11:12 am #7

Davis wrote:Will miss the brutalist design of this site. No more seeing the forest for the trees.
Wut? :shrug:

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 11:24 am #8

It's a more modern design, but as far as I can see it is function following form. There may be efficiencies in the background but I don't see them.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 11:26 am #9

Ah, here's the rub, up at the top of the screen....
wrote:When you visit our site, preselected companies may use cookies or other certain information on your device to serve relevant ads and for analytics purposes. Learn more

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

July 9th, 2018, 11:31 am #10

Mikhailoh wrote:Ah, here's the rub, up at the top of the screen....
wrote:When you visit our site, preselected companies may use cookies or other certain information on your device to serve relevant ads and for analytics purposes. Learn more
Those analytics on all your posts could probably be used to clone you. :lol2:

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 11:39 am #11

Davis wrote:
Mikhailoh wrote:Ah, here's the rub, up at the top of the screen....
Those analytics on all your posts could probably be used to clone you. :lol2:
They're probably a subsidiary of Delos, Inc.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 11:52 am #12

I'm not sure they aren't already doing this but I had not seen it.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
John Galt
Fulla-Carp

July 9th, 2018, 11:56 am #13

Isn't Zetaboards already doing the same thing?
wrote: Third Party Advertising:

ZetaBoards uses third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our web site. These third party advertising companies may collect and use information about your visits to ZetaBoards as well as other web sites. If you would like more information please visit the following link: [ Google ]

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

Note: By signing up with ZetaBoards, you agree to the terms of the following advertisers listed above in addition to the terms of ZetaBoards' privacy policy.
PSA: The ignore function works on the new platform.

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 12:27 pm #14

It’s a trade off. WTF choose to pay for forum hosting service and get no advertising (and no tracking by/for advertiser). TNCR choose to use “free” forum hosting but have to put up with advertising and tracking by/for advertisers.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 1:03 pm #15

Axtremus wrote:It’s a trade off. WTF choose to pay for forum hosting service and get no advertising (and no tracking by/for advertiser). TNCR choose to use “free” forum hosting but have to put up with advertising and tracking by/for advertisers.
We've all made the comment about the ads appearing on the board being different, for different members. So I think we've been tracked for years.

I guess you get used to what you get used to...The other two fora I hit on occasion use ProBoards...Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

One question, though...Are the web and Tap-a-talk versions similar in appearance?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 1:21 pm #16

Jolly wrote:We've all made the comment about the ads appearing on the board being different, for different members. So I think we've been tracked for years.
The different ads don't necessarily mean we are being tracked; the ad could just depend on the region you are in.

However, both Zetaboards and Tapatalk do some kind of tracking. The main difference is that Tapatalk does much _more_ tracking.

For the Zetaboards version of TNCR, my adblocker shows 1 blocked ad request and my tracking blocker shows 5 blocked tracking requests.

For the Tapatalk version of TNCR, my adblocker shows 2 blocked ad request and my tracking blocker shows 16 blocked tracking requests.

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 1:31 pm #17

It costs 9 dollars a year to remove the ads from zetaboards. Only the administrator of the board can access the pay panel, and for some reason we've chosen to not ask the administrator of this one who hasn't been here in probably a decade to hand over the reins to someone who actually participates so the administrator controls can be accessed.

Hell, I'll pay the 9 bucks if someone will get jgoo to give the forum to Jon.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 1:43 pm #18

We sure don't have arguments about moderation anymore. I'll chip in a buck.

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 2:49 pm #19

I use the AdBlock add-on for Chrome, it blocks them.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

July 9th, 2018, 2:57 pm #20

Klaus wrote:Oh noes, the new editor for posts will be WYSIWIG. I hate it already.
While in edit mode on a post click the ... at the top-right to toggle WYSIWYG mode

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy