Tariffs tax burden higher than ACA

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

9:17 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #1

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... care-taxes

What's the game board here? This'll hinder investment in China, but supply chains can be inflexible in the short term.

How long can/should Americans pay higher taxes - and to what end?

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

9:29 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #2

Survival.

Wealth transfer can't continue forever.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

9:39 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #3

Not to mention that ACA has been largely gutted.  

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

9:47 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #4

The ACA is just an arbitrary benchmark chosen by this author.

The real point is that this has started to hit the pocket book of Americans. Is it working, will it work? Do we have the resolve to wait for supply chains to shift? (I.e. will people start buying goods that aren't made in China? Is there an alternative? Will the iPhone shift production to another country?)

Our trade deficit keeps growing (which makes sense given a growing economy) do you expect to see this trend reverse? (Since this is the metric that the President has chosen to focus on)

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

10:02 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #5

As somebody who bought a dishwasher this week and was acutely aware of parts availability due to a Kenmore (Daewoo) refrigerator, I wanted that sucker made or assembled in the USA.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

10:48 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #6

No, it's not arbitrary at all. It was chosen to stir **** up as usual. 

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

10:56 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #7

xenon wrote: Is it working, will it work? 
The question is somewhat defective because we don’t agree on what it means for it to ‘work’.   
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

12:03 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #8

Mikhailoh wrote:No, it's not arbitrary at all. It was chosen to stir **** up as usual. 
Sure - but to be fair this is an article from the Examiner and the guy writing it is hardly a Democrat (I think - could be wrong)

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

12:08 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #9

I'm not protectionist to a fault, but I've never been a free trader...Not unless the market between countries is totally impartial and fair. Also, you have to factor in the strategic concerns, such as industries we simply must have...Things like steel, energy, technology.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

12:14 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #10

If we dont have them we guarantee the next war goes nuclear in a big hurry.