Smoooth

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

August 10th, 2010, 9:33 pm #1

The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 10th, 2010, 9:41 pm #2

A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

August 10th, 2010, 10:20 pm #3

Sexist media, sexist audience, sexist spin, sexist bullsh!t. A girl can dodge or catch the ball herself. If one is too prissy to do either and then complain, find another one.

Improviso
HOLY CARP!!!
Improviso
HOLY CARP!!!

August 10th, 2010, 11:40 pm #4

He is Soooooo not getting lucky, tonight or any other for a while... :lol:
Identifying narcissists isn't difficult. Just look for the person who is constantly fishing for compliments
and admiration while breaking down over even the slightest bit of criticism.

We have the freedom to choose our actions, but we do not get to choose our consequences.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 12:38 am #5

Axtremus wrote:Sexist media, sexist audience, sexist spin, sexist bullsh!t. A girl can dodge or catch the ball herself. If one is too prissy to do either and then complain, find another one.
Do you hold the door for your spouse? Help with coat?

If so, how come? S/he's capable of opening a door and putting on a coat without you, no?
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 1:16 am #6

Axtremus wrote:Sexist media, sexist audience, sexist spin, sexist bullsh!t. A girl can dodge or catch the ball herself. If one is too prissy to do either and then complain, find another one.
Ever shag a well hit fly ball, sport?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 1:27 am #7

George K wrote:

If so, how come? S/he's capable of opening a door and putting on a coat without you, no?
[derail]Personally, I love the concept of the double doors.

By default, I'll hold the door open for anybody, doesn't matter if it's guy/girl/tranny/whatever. The first time. And I'm not looking for a verbal acknowledgment or a shower of praise, but I would like at least some confirmation that you appreciate me holding the door open for you. Heck we don't even have to make eye contact; a quick head nod is more than sufficient.

But you look like you expected it or don't appreciate someone doing you a slight favor (this happens much more often than not from "ladies", if you can believe it), I will use that second set of doors to go out of my way to slam it on your ass. Period. [/derail]

Anyways, George and Jolly get it.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 10:11 am #8

Jolly wrote:Ever shag a well hit fly ball, sport?
Bad visual.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 10:48 am #9

Improviso wrote:He is Soooooo not getting lucky, tonight or any other for a while... :lol:
He's toast. :lol2:

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 11:45 am #10

George K wrote:

I make the decision on whether to help some one with putting on a coat or holding the door without considering his/her gender.

E.g., Whether to get the door for some one: Is that some one holding lots of stuff (e.g. grocery), pushing a baby stroller, tending to a child or three, appearing too weak/frail at the moment (e.g., a child who is too young, a senior who is too old, an infirm with cast(s) on one or more extremities), pregnant, handicapped, etc.?

That's how I decide whether I want to bother with getting the door for some one, male, female, transgender, whatever.

JBryan
HOLY CARP!!!
JBryan
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 11:50 am #11

How do you decide whether to jump out of the way of a fly ball so your girlfriend can get hit?
"Any man who would make an X rated movie should be forced to take his daughter to see it". - John Wayne

There is a line we cross when we go from "I will believe it when I see it" to "I will see it when I believe it".

Henry II: I marvel at you after all these years. Still like a democratic drawbridge: going down for everybody.

Eleanor: At my age there's not much traffic anymore.

From The Lion in Winter.

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 12:13 pm #12

The decision matrix would generally be the same for any friend, girl, boy, or transgender. This matrix would generally include an estimate on whether the person sitting next to me have the ability to catch/dodge the flyball himself/herself. But if we're talking specifically about a "girlfriend," as in an "adult female significant other in my age range," then you should assume that said person would generally has the ability to dodge/catch the ball herself (see previously post about finding another girlfriend if the previous one is too prissy to catch/dodge a ball), unless she's bogged down by other things (e.g., still recovering from motion impairing injuries, pregnant, holding food/beer, holding a baby/child).

JBryan
HOLY CARP!!!
JBryan
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 12:36 pm #13

Good look running through a "decision matrix" in the time you would have to decide. You would probably just end up taking the hit while you were frozen in your moment of indecision which is all good anyway.
"Any man who would make an X rated movie should be forced to take his daughter to see it". - John Wayne

There is a line we cross when we go from "I will believe it when I see it" to "I will see it when I believe it".

Henry II: I marvel at you after all these years. Still like a democratic drawbridge: going down for everybody.

Eleanor: At my age there's not much traffic anymore.

From The Lion in Winter.

Phlebas
Bull-Carp
Phlebas
Bull-Carp

August 11th, 2010, 12:43 pm #14

Axtremus wrote:The decision matrix would generally be the same for any friend, girl, boy, or transgender. This matrix would generally include an estimate on whether the person sitting next to me have the ability to catch/dodge the flyball himself/herself. But if we're talking specifically about a "girlfriend," as in an "adult female significant other in my age range," then you should assume that said person would generally has the ability to dodge/catch the ball herself (see previously post about finding another girlfriend if the previous one is too prissy to catch/dodge a ball), unless she's bogged down by other things (e.g., still recovering from motion impairing injuries, pregnant, holding food/beer, holding a baby/child).
"Decision matrix"??

It's reflex, and instinct to protect someone you care about. There was no time to apply a decision matrix. Maybe he doesn't care about her. She'll figure that out. Women have instincts too.
Random FML: Today, I was fired by my boss in front of my coworkers. It would have been nice if I could have left the building before they started celebrating. FML

The founding of the bulk of the world's nation states post 1914 is based on self-defined nationalisms. The bulk of those national movements involve territory that was ethnically mixed. The foundation of many of those nation states involved population movements in the aftermath. When the only one that is repeatedly held up as unjust and unjustifiable is the Zionist project, the term anti-semitism may very well be appropriate. - P*D

blondie
Bull-Carp
blondie
Bull-Carp

August 11th, 2010, 2:04 pm #15

Why didn't she catch it or bail?

Sheesh ..

I'll say no more.

Phlebas
Bull-Carp
Phlebas
Bull-Carp

August 11th, 2010, 2:26 pm #16

blondie wrote:Why didn't she catch it or bail?

Sheesh ..

I'll say no more.
Deer in the headlights?
Couldn't see where the ball was - if she moved (bailed) would it have hit her?
Expected the guy to help her out?
Didn't think it would hit her?

Jolly's right. If you've never had a hard hit line drive, or fly ball come your way, it's hard to react. When the ball - which is like a rock - comes off the bat it changes direction, breaks, and doesn't end up where you might think it would, if you're not used to it.
The biggest mistakes i made learning how to play outfield as a kid was getting under the fly ball so it didn't go over your head. Line drives i was fine with.
Random FML: Today, I was fired by my boss in front of my coworkers. It would have been nice if I could have left the building before they started celebrating. FML

The founding of the bulk of the world's nation states post 1914 is based on self-defined nationalisms. The bulk of those national movements involve territory that was ethnically mixed. The foundation of many of those nation states involved population movements in the aftermath. When the only one that is repeatedly held up as unjust and unjustifiable is the Zionist project, the term anti-semitism may very well be appropriate. - P*D

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 2:39 pm #17

JBryan wrote:Good look running through a "decision matrix" in the time you would have to decide.
Phlebas wrote:"Decision matrix"??

It's reflex, and instinct to protect someone you care about. There was no time to apply a decision matrix.
"Reflex" and "instinct" are but specific forms of "decision matrix." "Split second judgment/decision" is still a "judgement/decision."

"Protect someone you care about" is a gender neutral sentiment; good for you.

Yet a decision to not shield a loved one from a fly ball do not necessary indicate lack of care or lack of love.

A frail 70 year old grandfather takes a strong 20 year old grandson to a ballgame, sitting side-by-side, and sees a flyball coming towards the grandson. Would you expect the frail 70 year old grandfather to shield the grandson from the flyball? If the grandfather fails to do so, does it mean the grandfather does not care about his grandson?

Somewhere in the decision matrix is a consideration given to "whether the other person needs my protection." In most such circumstances, most grandfathers would rightly let their grandsons take care of themselves, and there wouldn't be a peep out of most people for such a split-second decision made by the grandfathers, least of all any accusation of the grandfather not caring for the grandson.

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 2:45 pm #18

Wuss. :tongue:
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 2:55 pm #19

Axtremus wrote:
JBryan wrote:Good look running through a "decision matrix" in the time you would have to decide.
Phlebas wrote:"Decision matrix"??

It's reflex, and instinct to protect someone you care about. There was no time to apply a decision matrix.
"Reflex" and "instinct" are but specific forms of "decision matrix." "Split second judgment/decision" is still a "judgement/decision."

"Protect someone you care about" is a gender neutral sentiment; good for you.

Yet a decision to not shield a loved one from a fly ball do not necessary indicate lack of care or lack of love.

A frail 70 year old grandfather takes a strong 20 year old grandson to a ballgame, sitting side-by-side, and sees a flyball coming towards the grandson. Would you expect the frail 70 year old grandfather to shield the grandson from the flyball? If the grandfather fails to do so, does it mean the grandfather does not care about his grandson?

Somewhere in the decision matrix is a consideration given to "whether the other person needs my protection." In most such circumstances, most grandfathers would rightly let their grandsons take care of themselves, and there wouldn't be a peep out of most people for such a split-second decision made by the grandfathers, least of all any accusation of the grandfather not caring for the grandson.
I certainly hope that you don't just frivolously define the dependent and independent variables in your decision matrix prior to running it. No, I think to be perfectly clear in your reasoning you should draw a flow chart and possibly write an executable to make sure your logic is sound before actually deciding whether or not to catch the ball yourself.

I've heard that Captain Sullenberger wrote a Stella program before deciding to land his plane in the Hudson.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

August 11th, 2010, 3:09 pm #20

OK, it's time to let up on Ax. Tough crowd today. :lol2: