jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 3:09 pm #21

I don't mean to make such light of it. But I fundamentally agree with Tav.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 12th, 2018, 3:24 pm #22

jon-nyc wrote:I don't mean to make such light of it. But I fundamentally agree with Tav.
I realize a teacher is not obligated to be the kid's psychiatrist, but there may be issues other than academic fit. Sometimes teachers have to be more than just teachers if they have troubled students. Maybe spend a few minutes -- not more -- figuring out what might be keeping him from his best performance. A willing ear.

It would be a crime if he were turned away from a profession, a calling even, because of one exam or in this kid's case more, if there was something else going on that was fixable.

Jolly said it: Each case is individual. The world will be harsh enough; this kid may need something extra.

OTOH, it may be too late. His die may be cast, or he may be a bum. I dig that.

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 5:22 pm #23

You aren't helping him by improving his grade.

How is his other work? Does he seem earnest? Is he slow?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 5:23 pm #24

Talked to the guy today. I told him that he's not going to get more points. He wanted to tell me a long story about how hard his life was, and all the ways in which this is terrible for him. I had to get somewhat rude to get him to leave my office.

I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to escalate this to the university president, or sue us.
Bösendorfer is the mullet of the piano world

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

July 12th, 2018, 5:55 pm #25

Sounds very much like you did the right thing Klaus.

It's not ok to try to eek by in life. The stakes get higher and higher. If something is important - you don't aim for the bare minimum to get it to work out. Bills, mortgage, kids, health, etc. - you gotta give yourself some space if it's important.

Better to learn that sooner than later.

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 7:05 pm #26

If he didn't pass, he didn't pass. You did the correct thing.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

brenda
HOLY CARP!!!
brenda
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 7:53 pm #27

Klaus wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to escalate this to the university president, or sue us.
Oh ya, that's lotsa fun! :lol2:

Let's hope it doesn't go that far, but if it does, you'll do well in making your case.
?Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.?
~A.A. Milne

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

July 12th, 2018, 8:28 pm #28

You gave the issue much thought, and did what you felt was right. Now is as good a time as any for him to learn that you don't slide on the important stuff. Either he learns this lesson or he doesn't.

Like Brenda said, it's a difficult situation. And like you said, he was making his problem your problem.

It's too bad he didn't get that if he'd put half the energy into prepping for the exam as he did in running around trying to do the repairs, he'd have been much better off.