Po Folks

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

July 10th, 2018, 10:36 pm #1

The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

July 10th, 2018, 10:44 pm #2

They didn't state a net worth. So he has a few accounts that don't have much in them, that means nothing unless they're saying that's all he has, other than his house. Which I very much doubt.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

July 10th, 2018, 10:56 pm #3

Horace wrote:They didn't state a net worth.
http://time.com/money/5334403/supreme-c ... net-worth/
wrote:Disclosure forms obtained by OpenSecrets indicate that Kavanaugh appears to be low on assets and investments despite taking on a variety of positions before President Donald Trump picked him to fill Anthony Kennedy’s soon-to-be vacant seat.

In his most recent filing, Kavanaugh reported working as a lecturer at Harvard Law School, a director at the Washington Jesuit Academy, an adviser at the American Law Institute and a basketball coach at the Blessed Sacrament School. In addition to his regular pay as a judge, he said he brought in about $27,500 in non-investment income, received no reportable gifts and had one loan that he recently paid off in full.

The 53-year-old added that he had up to $65,000 in assets, a designation that doesn’t necessarily include items like mortgages or cars.

Kavanaugh lives with his wife, Ashley, and two daughters, Margaret and Liza, in Maryland. Property records show their home is valued at about $1 million.

Other details about his lifestyle are scarce, but there are a few factors that could explain why Kavanaugh doesn’t have a lot in savings. For one, his house was pricey — it was purchased for $1.2 million, is two stories and has a finished basement. His kids also appear to attend the nearby Blessed Sacrament School, where tuition for Catholic students is about $10,000 a year.

However, Kavanaugh may soon be getting a raise. As an appeals court judge for the District of Columbia Circuit, he currently earns a $220,600 salary. If he joins the bench at the Supreme Court, he’ll enjoy a pay bump: Associate justices take home $255,300 a year, according to the U.S. Courts website.

However, it might take a while for Kavanaugh’s bank account to catch up to those of his fellow SCOTUS justices.

They’re a wealthy bunch. According to the Center for Public Integrity, Stephen Breyer has the highest net worth on the bench with a minimum $6.15 million. Kennedy, the justice Kavanaugh is aiming to replace, was actually at the bottom of the rankings with an estimated $580,000 net worth.

Being on the nation’s highest court comes with perks, as well. Because they’re in such high demand, Supreme Court justices often travel all over the world for free. For example, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor flew to Italy in 2014 for a New York University event. Last year, Samuel Alito went to Spain, France, Germany and China to appear at conferences and give lectures.

That’s one thing Kavanaugh can talk about with his potential new coworkers. Like them, he’s also taken a number of trips on other people’s dimes. Documents show Kavanaugh was reimbursed for travel to Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Indiana, Texas and New York for various teaching and speaking opportunities last year.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 10th, 2018, 11:09 pm #4

wrote:At least six — and perhaps as many as all eight — U.S. Supreme Court justices are worth at least $1 million, according to the Center for Public Integrity. Not Kavanaugh, who was nominated by President Donald Trump Monday night to the Supreme Court.
I guess that will help in constructing a supreme court that looks more like America.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 10th, 2018, 11:10 pm #5

Seriously though it's hard to imagine how anyone could be a Harvard or Yale law grad and not be worth $1mm (besides house) by 50-something. Even working for the government.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

July 10th, 2018, 11:11 pm #6

jon-nyc wrote:Seriously though it's hard to imagine how anyone could be a Harvard or Yale law grad and not be worth $1mm (besides house) by 50-something. Even working for the government.
That's what I was thinking.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Piano*Dad
Bull-Carp

July 11th, 2018, 3:19 pm #7

If he has not fully revealed his holdings on a federal disclosure form, that will come back to bite him in the @ss very shortly.

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

July 11th, 2018, 3:25 pm #8

Piano*Dad wrote:If he has not fully revealed his holdings on a federal disclosure form, that will come back to bite him in the @ss very shortly.
Like the way Maxine Waters explained how she was able to become so rich on a congressman's salary, or how the Clintons went from being broke when he left office to over 300 million today?
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

July 11th, 2018, 4:34 pm #9

Piano*Dad wrote:If he has not fully revealed his holdings on a federal disclosure form, that will come back to bite him in the @ss very shortly.
Keep dreaming....
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

July 11th, 2018, 4:40 pm #10

Wow. A lot of us are better off than Kennedy. Although I suspct he has a nice pension.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

July 11th, 2018, 4:49 pm #11

Yes, pensions are a game changer when considering one's need to save.

With the saving rate of Americans, I've long thought that the primary difference between elderly haves and have nots in the future will be the size of the pension.

Pension size. There's pills for that.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

July 11th, 2018, 5:28 pm #12

This is shocking. That Trump is just plain evil nominating someone like this.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

July 11th, 2018, 5:32 pm #13

Copper wrote:
This is shocking. That Trump is just plain evil nominating someone like this.

Tell us something PD doesn't already know...

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 6:12 pm #14

It gets a little better:
wrote: Shah added that Kavanaugh has a government retirement account worth nearly half a million dollars that also was not required to be disclosed.

“At this time the Kavanaughs have no debt beyond their home mortgage,” Shah said.

He said that Kavanaugh has assets of nearly $1 million between the equity in his home and his retirement account.

Given he spent all but a few years in the public sector, and his wife hasn't always worked and doesn't make all that much now, I'll file this under 'move along, nothing to see here'.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 6:50 pm #15

jon-nyc wrote:It gets a little better:
wrote: Shah added that Kavanaugh has a government retirement account worth nearly half a million dollars that also was not required to be disclosed.

“At this time the Kavanaughs have no debt beyond their home mortgage,” Shah said.

He said that Kavanaugh has assets of nearly $1 million between the equity in his home and his retirement account.

Given he spent all but a few years in the public sector, and his wife hasn't always worked and doesn't make all that much now, I'll file this under 'move along, nothing to see here'.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html
Jon, most public retirement accounts are worth more than that.

Big whoop.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 6:53 pm #16

THat's beside the point. He went from being a 2 or 3 sigma outlier to being a little below average.

Nothing to see here.

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 6:58 pm #17

Wow... he bought a bunch of season tickets for himself and his friends, his friends reimbursed him for their tickets, and he paid off the credit card...

Yep, he's not fit to be a Justice.....

Next thing you know we'll find out that he (gasp...) ate HOT DOGS at the games!!!

Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 7:08 pm #18

jon-nyc wrote:THat's beside the point. He went from being a 2 or 3 sigma outlier to being a little below average.

Nothing to see here.
It doesn't matter, but what is the usual net worth of a Yale lawyer at his stage of life?

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 7:10 pm #19

Larry wrote:Wow... he bought a bunch of season tickets for himself and his friends, his friends reimbursed him for their tickets, and he paid off the credit card...

Yep, he's not fit to be a Justice.....

Next thing you know we'll find out that he (gasp...) ate HOT DOGS at the games!!!
Oh hell to the no!

If he drank a beer with his hot dog, it's the apocalypse! Bodies rising from the ground! Dog and cats fornicating in the streets! Somebody found a conservative Dimocrat!

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

July 12th, 2018, 7:11 pm #20

I don't know. Usually much more. But usually they don't spend almost all of their career in the public sector with an on-again off-again employed spouse who's earnings are not in the same league as YLS lawyers.

But given that describes him, plus a brood of kids in private school, there's no more need to look for an explanation.