Peru Trip Report Part I - Lima

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

June 14th, 2018, 4:30 pm #1

We're heading to Brazil in a couple of weeks and I realized I'm a couple of vacations behind on my trip reports.

So here was Peru in December. We were gone for about 2 weeks, we were mostly in Lima but also spent a few days in Arequipa.

First Lima. I never splurge for first class on international flights but the pricing on this one was odd. First class tickets were cheaper than normal and domestic were much more expensive than normal. So the difference seemed justified.

So here's the boy checking out his digs. I warned him not to get used to it.

A couple of street scenes form Lima:

There was a presidential impeachment trial going on at the time, so we passed some peaceful demonstrations:

In the less posh parts of Lima these three-wheeled taxis are really common. They basically seem like motorcycles with a case around them. I understand they're made locally:

Here are a few of the coast. In the southern part of Lima where we stayed (Miraflores) the coast is very rugged.

It's not very good for swimming but surfing is very popular. The water is quite cold in December.

The boy at a clifftop park:

All of us:

As you may have noticed from previous trip reports, I'm always fascinated by the local graffiti:

Just a lovely wall to a museum.

There was a park right near our apartment called 'Parque Kennedy', named after JFK. The boy played with locals every day:

At night dozens of cats would come occupy the park. They seemed clean and well cared for.

It was Christmastime so there was a nativity scene. Look where the cat put himself:

More to come.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

June 14th, 2018, 4:45 pm #2

Some ruins. These were inside Lima city limits. In fact they sort of built the zoo around them:

One day we rented a car and drove a couple hours south of the city, heading to a beach town. There were some well known ruins on the way:

These were right near some slums. One wonders how different the ruins looked when they were occupied.

The beach town we were trying to go to was cut off due to some road work. So we ended up going to a nearby fishing village and having lunch. The boy went in the water, his first time in the South Pacific.

On the way to the village we had to drive through some slums. The roads were dirt and in bad shape, so we went really slow. The boy got a good look at people and their homes. It was a little upsetting to him to see people living this way.

I didn't take any pictures of the slums we drove through, it seemed like it would have been rude.

On Christmas day we took a boat tour that went out to the Palomino islands, about 90 minutes off the coast. One of these islands has literally thousands of wild sea lions on it. The highlight of the tour is that you can don a wetsuit and get in the water near the island. The young sea lions will come up to you out of curiosity. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Here's the boat we took:

On our way out:

Finally, the sea lions:

You really have to see it to believe it. Very noisy. And the smell was awful as you approached the island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAJnQPwtiM

Some of you may remember I posted a picture of the boy petting a dolphin off the coast of Colombia on Thanksgiving day. Well my plan was to top that or match it at least by having him swim with wild sea lions on Christmas. Alas, he wasn't feeling well. I'm the only one who got in the water. As you can see in the video, the water wasn't particularly calm. So you really had to stay away from the island. (they don't let you get on it anyway)

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Rainman
Fulla-Carp
Rainman
Fulla-Carp

June 14th, 2018, 5:02 pm #3

Thanks for sharing, Jon!
It must help a lot that you are fluent in the language. Glad your son saw the slums. Even if shocking, it was undoubtedly an eye-opener as to the plight of many if not most of the world.

Did not like the sea lion island. Creepy. And swimming with them? No thanks, I'd rather fly, and I hate flying!

I always look forward to your pictures, especially when you describe the scene.

Thanks! :thumb:

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

June 14th, 2018, 5:10 pm #4

What Rainman said.

Also, what were the ruins before they became ruins, do you know?

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

June 14th, 2018, 6:34 pm #5

Fantastic!
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

June 14th, 2018, 7:09 pm #6

Yes, the lions are creepy.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

June 15th, 2018, 3:39 am #7

Neat pics, thanks for posting them.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Mark
HOLY CARP!!!
Mark
HOLY CARP!!!

June 15th, 2018, 7:24 am #8

:cool:
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

June 15th, 2018, 10:09 am #9

Nice vacation, Jon!

Love the graffiti!

The “three wheeled taxi,” it reminded me of the “tuk-tuks” in Thailand. Has been a long time since I visited Thailand, so not sure if it’s geographic variation or matter of older model vs. newer model ... the tuk-tuks I rode in Thailand were more “open air.”

Say, how did you like the presidential impeachment trial?