Nike makes huge in-kind contribution to Trump 2020 campaign

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 3rd, 2018, 9:24 pm #1

Colin Kaepernick Named Face of Nike's 30th Anniversary of 'Just Do It' Campaign

Nike selected former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick as the face of its "Just Do It" campaign, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary.

Darren Rovell of ESPN reported the choice of Kaepernick, who started the movement to kneel during the United States national anthem to protest racial injustice in August 2016.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," he told Steve Wyche of NFL Media about the decision two years ago. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Kaepernick opted out of his contract with the Niners in March 2017 and hasn't been able to find a new team since. An April visit with the Seattle Seahawks was postponed after he did not assure the franchise he'd stand for the anthem if signed, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

September 3rd, 2018, 9:57 pm #2

Idiot
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 12:48 am #3

Folk hero.

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 1:13 am #4

For himself and the other 3 guys who still kneel
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

September 4th, 2018, 1:15 am #5

The collective management of Nike or Kap?
Copper wrote:Idiot

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 1:24 am #6

Both for different reasons.

Are you going to keep putting the new comments on top?

It seems that the rest of the posters read from top to bottom.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 1:50 am #7

The Twitterverse erupts:

A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 1:56 am #8

I'm partial to the airline companies doing press releases about not flying deportees, as some sort of apotheosis of cynical money grabs masquerading as humble sacrifice, but Nike's attempt is good, too.

They really couldn't have done better.

I do enjoy watching stupidity fold in on itself to push society in a good direction.  And I really do hope Trump is elected again in 2020.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 2:15 am #9

How do you get more Trump? Reckon Nike sat around for days pondering that question?

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk

The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

September 4th, 2018, 2:20 am #10

Yeah
Copper wrote:Both for different reasons.

Are you going to keep putting the new comments on top?

It seems that the rest of the posters read from top to bottom.

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

September 4th, 2018, 3:16 am #11

i think the rewards for Nike will outweigh any risks.  It’s a great strategic move not that I am a Colin fan at all.  Let’s see if this helps the NFL however.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 3:21 am #12

It could easily help both Nike and Trump. It's not as if their target demographics overlap much.  Nike is pop culture and Trump appears to magically be a "populist" trend which pop culture abhors.  Weird.  
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 8:12 am #13

Yeah, they know their demographic.    I was in a mall in Yonkers a couple of weeks ago.   Every other store was athletic footwear.   I would be very interested in seeing per-capital athletic footwear expenditure by race/ethnicity as well as by age. 
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 11:10 am #14

jon-nyc wrote:Yeah, they know their demographic.    I was in a mall in Yonkers a couple of weeks ago.   Every other store was athletic footwear.   I would be very interested in seeing per-capital athletic footwear expenditure by race/ethnicity as well as by age. 
Exactly.

I was reading the comments on the Times-Picayune website. As most know, New Orleans has a very high percentage of black citizens. The many comments on the news article were very-pro Nike and Kaepernick.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk

The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 4th, 2018, 12:30 pm #15

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-backlash

From the article:  "The fallout was no surprise but Nike may be betting that the upside of a Kaepernick endorsement is worth angering conservative Americans and supporters of President Donald Trump."
Last edited by Catseye3 on September 4th, 2018, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 4th, 2018, 12:57 pm #16

When the taking-the-knee thing started with Kaepernick, I didn’t see what  all the furor was about.  I didn’t post because I feared my small nonexistent knowledge of football was causing me to not get that maybe the game itself was being affected.  Which of course would be a hanging offense. 

Better to stay out of this one, I thought.  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your keyboard and remove all doubt, as Twain might have said.

But that doesn’t seem to be happening.   So I’m still of the same mind.  Here were men who were making a peaceful protest to register unhappiness about  police brutality.  Thereafter they went to the field and played their hearts out, like always.  No harm.  Whether you agreed their feelings were right or wrong, they had the right to express them.  America, and all that.  

I don’t mean, god wot, to start up the brangle all over again.  I did not follow the story at the time, so maybe I don't know the whole.  If I’m not getting it, I mean no offense to anyone here.  But I’m danged if I ever saw this whole thing as all that reprehensible.  

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 2:25 pm #17

Catseye3 wrote:  they had the right to express them.  America, and all that.  

And the boss has the right to fire him.

And everyone else has the right to condemn the expression.

America, and all that.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

September 4th, 2018, 5:04 pm #18

It sure has taken on a life of its own.

What I took at the time to be a cheap, childish virtue signal from an inconsequential man with no special insights into anything and certainly no special hardships in his life, has turned into something bigger because both sides are enjoying the fight.   The knee during the anthem of football games was just a really good trolling of american culture.  The real loser in the whole thing is the NFL.

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

September 4th, 2018, 5:18 pm #19

It really is one of the most ridiculously blown out of proportion controversies around right now.  

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 4th, 2018, 5:23 pm #20

xenon wrote: It really is one of the most ridiculously blown out of proportion controversies around right now.  
Just this morning I read it described as a "poor little sock protest".