Nick Cage, Spendy Man!

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Joined: 9:44 PM - Dec 27, 2016

11:08 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #1

https://financebuzz.com/finance-nicolas ... ying-spree

You have to admit, he bought some neat stuff.
Quote
Like

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 8:24 PM - Aug 04, 2005

11:24 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #2

OK. I stopped reading at this part:
wrote:Two albino king cobras

Allegedly Cage used the cobras for protection. Some others say he used it for sexual activities.
"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08


A guide to GKSR: Click


Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.
Quote
Like

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 1:24 AM - Apr 27, 2005

11:28 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #3

Not sure how you can buy someone's tombstone.

Still, I am sure he saw these things as investments to one degree or another. Collectibles can be a dicey thing, and large real estate takes a fair amount of expense to maintain value. And that doesn't even start to address the yachts.

Boat - a hole in the water into which one pours money.
Quote
Like

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 3:47 PM - Apr 19, 2005

11:50 AM - Jul 11, 2018 #4

If Cage doesn't have papers, he should have.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Quote
Like

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 11:45 AM - May 21, 2006

12:01 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #5

George K wrote:OK. I stopped reading at this part:
wrote:Two albino king cobras

Allegedly Cage used the cobras for protection. Some others say he used it for sexual activities.
Saw that too. Why did you stop there? My interest peaked at that point!
Quote
Like

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 5:23 PM - Sep 22, 2005

12:10 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #6

wrote:Don't be materialistic: It's tempting to "keep up with the Joneses" with expensive cars, fancy fashion and larger homes. But getting caught up with the finer things in life can be devastating if your bank account can't support it. Compulsive buying is an addiction.
I know this is a common problem, but to me this reads like, “don’t punch that officer in the face after he issues you a speeding ticket. It’ll feel good at first, but believe it or not, you’ll find yourself in even more trouble afterwards.”

Fucking really? Should one also not eat yellow snow or sit in the black dirt?

I really would like an answer to why so many people don’t know that buying **** doesn’t make their lives any better. Short-sightedness?
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Quote
Like

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Joined: 9:44 PM - Dec 27, 2016

12:13 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #7

:shrug: I know if I had a toy like that yacht, I'd feel better.
Quote
Like

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 11:45 AM - May 21, 2006

12:15 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #8

Aqua Letifer wrote:I really would like an answer to why so many people don’t know that buying **** doesn’t make their lives any better. Short-sightedness?
I propose that somebody gives Aqua $100,000,000 such that he can experience himself how difficult that is. That will teach him a lesson.
Quote
Like

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 5:23 PM - Sep 22, 2005

12:30 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #9

Catseye3 wrote: :shrug: I know if I had a toy like that yacht, I'd feel better.
No you wouldn’t, if you kept it longer than a month without selling you’d go broke or nearly so keeping it afloat. And where are you going to keep it? How are you going to pay for that? How often would you be able to travel to that place and how much would that cost?
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Quote
Like

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Joined: 9:44 PM - Dec 27, 2016

12:51 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #10

It was a lighthearted comment, Aqua.

But on further thought, I don't believe it is a universal truth that buying stuff doesn't make peoples' lives better. It depends on the person, on the intensity of the desire, on how thoroughly (and wisely) the purchase is contemplated beforehand, the advantages ownership of the thing would bring to the person, and so on.
Quote
Like

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 5:23 PM - Sep 22, 2005

1:08 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #11

Catseye3 wrote:It was a lighthearted comment, Aqua.

But on further thought, I don't believe it is a universal truth that buying stuff doesn't make peoples' lives better. It depends on the person, on the intensity of the desire, on how thoroughly (and wisely) the purchase is contemplated beforehand, the advantages ownership of the thing would bring to the person, and so on.
That's not what I meant. I'm not advocating a Franciscan lifestyle, I literally meant the action of buying things doesn't make anyone's life any better.

And how tempting is it really to "keep up with the Joneses"? Whenever I hear someone bragging about the newness of their phone I immediately write them off as being stupid.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Quote
Like

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 1:24 AM - Apr 27, 2005

1:19 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #12

Aqua Letifer wrote:
Catseye3 wrote: :shrug: I know if I had a toy like that yacht, I'd feel better.
No you wouldn’t, if you kept it longer than a month without selling you’d go broke or nearly so keeping it afloat. And where are you going to keep it? How are you going to pay for that? How often would you be able to travel to that place and how much would that cost?
Quote
Like

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 11:45 AM - May 21, 2006

1:19 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #13

Aqua Letifer wrote:That's not what I meant. I'm not advocating a Franciscan lifestyle, I literally meant the action of buying things doesn't make anyone's life any better.
That's BS.

There's a large spectrum of needs.

If you are starving, then buying a meal will make your life better.

If you already have 12 yachts, then buying yacht number 13 will probably not make your life much better.

These are the extremes, but the practically relevant cases are all in between those extremes.

Last year I've spent a lot of money on a grand piano. Do I "need" such an expensive piano (or any piano)? Of course not. But I enjoy it almost every day.

There is something like a "law of diminishing returns" for wealth. But it is nonsense to say, without qualification, that wealth and quality of life are unrelated.
Quote
Like

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 5:23 PM - Sep 22, 2005

1:29 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #14

Klaus wrote:
Aqua Letifer wrote:That's not what I meant. I'm not advocating a Franciscan lifestyle, I literally meant the action of buying things doesn't make anyone's life any better.
That's BS.

There's a large spectrum of needs.

If you are starving, then buying a meal will make your life better.

If you already have 12 yachts, then buying yacht number 13 will probably not make your life much better.

These are the extremes, but the practically relevant cases are all in between those extremes.

Last year I've spent a lot of money on a grand piano. Do I "need" such an expensive piano (or any piano)? Of course not. But I enjoy it almost every day.

There is something like a "law of diminishing returns" for wealth. But it is nonsense to say, without qualification, that wealth and quality of life are unrelated.
You’re not paying attention to the distinction I’m drawing, Klaus. I’m not talking about ownership, I’m talking about the act of buying something.

As for ownership, the list of things you can buy to “make your life better” isn’t that large, even when you count the ancillary stuff like pianos and guitars and the like. (I mention the latter because that’s what I’m currently saving for.) Yeah, it’s a law of diminishing returns, but it’s a steep curve.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Quote
Like

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 5:23 PM - Sep 22, 2005

1:29 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #15

Mikhailoh wrote:
Aqua Letifer wrote:
Catseye3 wrote: :shrug: I know if I had a toy like that yacht, I'd feel better.
No you wouldn’t, if you kept it longer than a month without selling you’d go broke or nearly so keeping it afloat. And where are you going to keep it? How are you going to pay for that? How often would you be able to travel to that place and how much would that cost?
:lol: exactly
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Quote
Like

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 11:45 AM - May 21, 2006

1:52 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #16

Aqua Letifer wrote:You’re not paying attention to the distinction I’m drawing, Klaus. I’m not talking about ownership, I’m talking about the act of buying something.
What's the difference? Unless you are stealing, you need to buy to own.
Quote
Like

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 5:23 PM - Sep 22, 2005

2:01 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #17

Buying a piano because you play piano is very different from buying frivolous **** because you feel good about purchasing something, or picking up a new phone just to tell everyone that you own it.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Quote
Like

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 8:54 AM - Apr 22, 2005

3:18 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #18

Klaus wrote:
Aqua Letifer wrote:You’re not paying attention to the distinction I’m drawing, Klaus. I’m not talking about ownership, I’m talking about the act of buying something.
What's the difference? Unless you are stealing, you need to buy to own.
Oh come on, Klaus.. You're not *that* shallow that you don't understand what Aqua is talking about.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Quote
Like

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Joined: 11:45 AM - May 21, 2006

3:36 PM - Jul 11, 2018 #19

Larry wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Aqua Letifer wrote:You’re not paying attention to the distinction I’m drawing, Klaus. I’m not talking about ownership, I’m talking about the act of buying something.
What's the difference? Unless you are stealing, you need to buy to own.
Oh come on, Klaus.. You're not *that* shallow that you don't understand what Aqua is talking about.
I am a brain-dead ... something (I'm not a liberal but luckily the property of being brain-dead is not restricted to that group).
Quote
Like