Manafort rolls

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 5:01 pm #1

:popcorn:
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 5:09 pm #2

For what?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 5:14 pm #3

He's just trying to survive by making up stuff to please Meuller. But the wheels are already coming off Mueller's part of the big cover-up as the collusion between hillary, the justice department, and the FBI unravels.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 5:34 pm #4

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... al/570331/

"The president’s former campaign chairman has agreed to cooperate with Special Counsel Robert Mueller in the investigation of a potential conspiracy between the Trump campaign and Moscow, prosecutors said in court on Friday, and has already proffered information to the Justice Department. Manafort also pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy and one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice, avoiding the spectacle of a second trial in Washington, D.C."
------------

Carrie Johnson, NPR reporter who covers the Justice Dept, tweeted: "Plea agreement requires Manafort to cooperate 'in any and all matter to which the government deems the cooperation relevant' including full and complete testimony to the grand jury in D.C."

But then, at some point (time chronology unclear), she tweets, "Paul Manafort's plea agreement with the special counsel does not include matters involving the Trump campaign, according to a person familiar with the case."

It's not clear from my reading -- maybe to y'all who are familiar with the Twitter format it would be -- which of these tweets supersedes the other.  If the uppermost tweet in a thread is the most recent in the timeline, then the topmost of these two tweets came after the second one.  If you see what I mean.
Anyway, here it is:  https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie?ref_ ... r%5Eauthor

ETA:  From ABCNews:  "In court Friday morning, prosecutors revealed that Manafort had completed a successful meeting with investigators in which he offered them information they considered valuable. They did not specify what information he agreed to share, but made clear the cooperation would be “broad” and would include participation in “interviews, briefings, producing documents, [and] testifying in other matters.”

"The agreement marked a significant shift for the Mueller investigation – providing them cooperation from someone who participated in the now-infamous Trump Tower meeting, in which a Russian lawyer came to New York during the campaign promising “dirt” on Trump’s Democratic opponent. As the campaign chairman, Manafort was also privy to the inner workings of the Trump campaign for critical months in 2016.

"Prosecutors did not spell out what sentence reductions Manafort could expect in return for his assistance with the probe into possible Russian meddling in the 2016 elections."

No mention of any exclusion of testimony having to do with the campaign.  So  :shrug:  

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 7:03 pm #5

The Atlantic says one thing, NPR another.

Gimme another bucket.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 7:19 pm #6

Goddamit, Jon! What's taking so long with the bucket???

http://dailycaller.com/2018/09/14/manaf ... e-podesta/
Two lobbying firms, including one owned by Democratic superlobbyist Tony Podesta, knowingly worked with Paul Manafort at the direction of the Ukrainian government, according to an indictment released Friday by the special counsel’s office.

The indictment, which was released ahead of an expected plea deal for Manafort, the former chairman of President Donald Trump’s presidential campaign, says that as a part of his “lobbying scheme,” Manafort solicited two lobbying firms in February 2012 to lobby on behalf of then-Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych.

“Various employees of Companies A and B understood that they were receiving direction from MANAFORT and President Yanukovych, not the Centre, which was not even operational when Companies A and B began lobbying for Ukraine,” reads the indictment. The Centre is a reference to the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine, a Brussels-based non-profit that the government says was used to support Yanukovych.

Company A has been identified as Mercury Public Affairs, a lobbying shop operated by former Minnesota Republican Rep. Vin Weber. Company B has been identified as Podesta Group, the firm that Tony Podesta founded with his brother, John, the chairman of Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 7:28 pm #7

Lock up Posesta along with him!

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 7:52 pm #8

Some more background on George's story:  https://www.vox.com/2018/7/31/17637426/ ... greg-craig

And some more details on what he gets in return for squealing  testifying, from Roll Call:  "As part of the agreement announced Friday, prosecutors will toss the 10 leftover charges from the Eastern Virginia trial after the jury there was hung on them. His prison time will be capped at 10 years, and he will be allowed to serve time from the charges in D.C. and the charges in Virginia concurrently.

"But that’s conditional on Manafort’s “successful cooperation,” per the deal."

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:22 pm #9

Larry wrote: He's just trying to survive by making up stuff to please Meuller. But the wheels are already coming off Mueller's part of the big cover-up as the collusion between hillary, the justice department, and the FBI unravels.
At the very least, Trump's paying the price for surrounding himself with low integrity liars - aka the best people.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 11:27 pm #10

Jon...c'mon. Where's the bowl?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigat ... er-n896396
Former lobbyist Tony Podesta, Mercury Public Affairs partner and former Minnesota Republican Rep. Vin Weber and former Obama White House Counsel Greg Craig are all under federal investigation by prosecutors for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, multiple sources with knowledge of the matter told NBC News on Tuesday.

Those sources say this months-long investigation in New York follows a referral from the special counsel’s office.
Oops...that was in Cat's story from Vox.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 11:30 pm #11

Right here:

:popcorn:

Don’t worry, I’ll make more.  

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:32 pm #12

xenon wrote:
Larry wrote: He's just trying to survive by making up stuff to please Meuller. But the wheels are already coming off Mueller's part of the big cover-up as the collusion between hillary, the justice department, and the FBI unravels.
At the very least, Trump's paying the price for surrounding himself with low integrity liars - aka the best people.
Xenon if you don’t believe a **** ton of people aren’t thinking thank god they didn’t catch me you have a lot to learn.   I’m keeping my eye on the ball however.  If there is Russian collusion Trump should swing from the trees for Treason.   Manafort has always been greedier than most of his lot and deserves calling out.  The George kid thing is a joke.    Russian collusion,  let’s see.  Ought to be overwhelming evidence at this point.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 11:33 pm #13

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:45 pm #14

Davis wrote:
xenon wrote:
Xenon if you don’t believe a **** ton of people aren’t thinking thank god they didn’t catch me you have a lot to learn.   I’m keeping my eye on the ball however.  If there is Russian collusion Trump should swing from the trees for Treason.   Manafort has always been greedier than most of his lot and deserves calling out.  The George kid thing is a joke.    Russian collusion,  let’s see.  Ought to be overwhelming evidence at this point.
I wish this whole Mueller thing would end ASAP. It takes valuable oxygen from national discussions that are actually pressing (healthcare, automation, increasing competitiveness of the world, international security, etc.)

That said - if you're investigating something and you see a crook what's the right thing to do? I guess hand it off to some other regular law enforcement entity outside of the special counsel's office.  The problem is, we don't know what these guys are giving up in their plea deal (do we?) - is it related to the main investigation (does anyone actually know? Are there disclosures?)

On the flipside - if the chief said from the beginning - "I didn't do anything wrong - so I welcome Mr. Mueller's investigation" - this thing has no legs. Why get up in arms? Let Mueller investigate.  I think the Manafort forfeiture pays for the investigation as well (not that the money should necessarily being going to an investigation - it was the government's money to begin with, but I digress)

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:48 pm #15

And if Mueller finds no Russian Collusion?  What say you, or do you want it both ways?

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:50 pm #16

I don't want anything - I don't care about Mueller

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:56 pm #17

You may get your wish, Xenon.  Manafort will certainly be asked about the Trump Tower meeting.  Will he lie or tell the truth?  We don't know what Mueller knows about that meeting; if it's anything at all, Manafort will tell the truth if he doesn't want to queer his plea deal.  

I wonder, has there been anything anywhere about whether Mueller is likely to aim his sights on Bannon?  

xenon
Senior Carp
xenon
Senior Carp

September 15th, 2018, 12:07 am #18

To clarify - 

First - I don't even know what the goal post is here anymore.  

If Russia offers to help and and American accepts or entertains it, is that bad?

If Russia offers to help and an American accepts and offers reciprocation (e.g., repeal Magnitsky Act), is that bad?

Does the help have to be the deciding factor in the election (I think this is a red herring - too many factors to prove anything is the deciding factor).

So - those waters are clear as mud to begin with and people will continue to dirty them to help their own political side.

Second - if Mueller finds nothing - Fantastic!!! At least our President isn't a Russian tool - I think he's a horrible enough person as it is. 

It's a shame that all this attention was paid to him, but again that's our fault for wanting a scandal as an audience and also Trump's fault for feeding this story.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 15th, 2018, 12:19 am #19

When you say "if Russia offers to help", what do you mean?  Help with what?  

Otherwise, I'm not really clear what you're referring to.  

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 15th, 2018, 12:26 am #20

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18