Katrina

Phlebas
Bull-Carp
Phlebas
Bull-Carp

August 28th, 2005, 1:33 pm #1

It looks a lot like New Orleans is going to take a huge hit, and it's now a cat. 5 storm. Lots of rain, wind, and flooding throughout MS, and LA.

Jolly is the only one I know at TNCR from that area. Hope you and your family stay safe, and get to high ground.
Random FML: Today, I was fired by my boss in front of my coworkers. It would have been nice if I could have left the building before they started celebrating. FML

The founding of the bulk of the world's nation states post 1914 is based on self-defined nationalisms. The bulk of those national movements involve territory that was ethnically mixed. The foundation of many of those nation states involved population movements in the aftermath. When the only one that is repeatedly held up as unjust and unjustifiable is the Zionist project, the term anti-semitism may very well be appropriate. - P*D

plays88keys
Pisa-Carp

August 28th, 2005, 1:38 pm #2

Fingers crossed for Jolly's safety.

WynnBear lives in New Orleans. I hope both he and his mom will be out of harm's way.

Hurricanes are nasty.
You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy.

justme
HOLY CARP!!!
justme
HOLY CARP!!!

August 28th, 2005, 2:20 pm #3

Yes. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Jolly and WynneBear. Stay safe.
"Men sway more towards hussies." G-D3

Phlebas
Bull-Carp
Phlebas
Bull-Carp

August 28th, 2005, 3:14 pm #4

I have a bad feeling about this. From my far away perspective it seems despite the mayor's "This is not a drill" speech, and the fact that they just changed the evacuation to mandatory, many people plan on staying in New Orleans.
Random FML: Today, I was fired by my boss in front of my coworkers. It would have been nice if I could have left the building before they started celebrating. FML

The founding of the bulk of the world's nation states post 1914 is based on self-defined nationalisms. The bulk of those national movements involve territory that was ethnically mixed. The foundation of many of those nation states involved population movements in the aftermath. When the only one that is repeatedly held up as unjust and unjustifiable is the Zionist project, the term anti-semitism may very well be appropriate. - P*D

kluurs
Fulla-Carp
kluurs
Fulla-Carp

August 28th, 2005, 3:54 pm #5

I'm one of those people who likes to ignore warnings - but I think this is one time to pay attention. Do take care. Thoughts and prayers are with you both.

K

katie
Fulla-Carp
katie
Fulla-Carp

August 28th, 2005, 3:59 pm #6

I'm going to say a little prayer for Jolly and Wynn Bear from up here. I hope y'all are safe (and anyone else there too). Do take care :)

LadyElton
Fulla-Carp
LadyElton
Fulla-Carp

August 28th, 2005, 4:17 pm #7

Be safe and listen to the authorities. My prayers are with Jolly, Wynnebear and everyone else in this monster's path.
Hilary aka LadyElton

jodi
Fulla-Carp
jodi
Fulla-Carp

August 28th, 2005, 8:47 pm #8

I've been watching the weather channel. Wow. How frightening. Take care of yourselves, Jolly and Wynnbear (and any of the rest of you that happen to be in that area).

Jodi
:) Jodi
my artlog ~ todayatmydesk.weebly.com

kenny
HOLY CARP!!!
kenny
HOLY CARP!!!

August 28th, 2005, 9:27 pm #9

Very sacry.
Leave your stuff behind and get away from the coast, and to high ground NOW.

kenny
HOLY CARP!!!
kenny
HOLY CARP!!!

August 28th, 2005, 10:03 pm #10

WOW
From Drudge:

Urgent Weather Message from NWS New Orleans
WWUS74 KLIX 281550NPWLIXURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005
DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED
HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED.
CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE. HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT. AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...
AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK. POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...
BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEWCROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEARHURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE..
.ARECERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTUREOUTSIDE!LAZ038-040-050-056>070-282100-ASSUMPTION-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

phykell
Senior Carp
phykell
Senior Carp

August 28th, 2005, 10:26 pm #11

This sounds terrible. I can't imagine the sort of damage this is going to cause but having just watched a report on CNN, it could be a real disaster. I just hope everyone gets out in time.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated. - Ghandhi

Evil cannot be conquered in the world. It can only be resisted within oneself.

Remember, bones heal and chicks dig scars

QuirtEvans
HOLY CARP!!!
QuirtEvans
HOLY CARP!!!

August 28th, 2005, 10:46 pm #12

Emeril's Restaurant is whistling past the graveyard.

The news just played the message currently on Emeril's message machine. It says they'll be closed, due to Katrina, on Sunday, and for lunch Monday. "Conditions permitting", they'll be open for dinner at 6PM Monday.

Taking bets on whether Emeril's will be open any day this week ... they say that if the levee system collapses it may take 10-14 days for the waters to recede from New Orleans.
It would be unwise to underestimate what large groups of ill-informed people acting together can achieve. -- John D'Oh, January 14, 2010.

LadyElton
Fulla-Carp
LadyElton
Fulla-Carp

August 29th, 2005, 12:01 am #13

QuirtEvans wrote: Emeril's Restaurant is whistling past the graveyard.

The news just played the message currently on Emeril's message machine. It says they'll be closed, due to Katrina, on Sunday, and for lunch Monday. "Conditions permitting", they'll be open for dinner at 6PM Monday.

Taking bets on whether Emeril's will be open any day this week ... they say that if the levee system collapses it may take 10-14 days for the waters to recede from New Orleans.
I don't think Emeril's will be open tomorrow night. Especially after Katrina hits New Orleans with a huge BAM! :whome: Sorry, couldn't resist.
Hilary aka LadyElton

Jack Frost
Bull-Carp

August 29th, 2005, 12:19 am #14

Jolly, Wynn Bear...I hope you are in Georgia by now. And I hope the forecasters are overdoing it.

jf

wrote:Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.

apple
HOLY CARP!!!
apple
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 12:33 am #15

here's to you jolly - wynnbear
it behooves me to behold

ivorythumper
HOLY CARP!!!
ivorythumper
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 12:36 am #16

LadyElton wrote:
I don't think Emeril's will be open tomorrow night. Especially after Katrina hits New Orleans with a huge BAM!
:D

I shouldn't laugh at that one, but couldn't resist.

I do hope all are OK -- I have a project in Pensacola and they are preparing for the worst. My friends there barely recovered from Ivan when they got hit by Dennis, now this... :hair:

I'll take the Arizona heat anyday!
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Jack Frost
Bull-Carp

August 29th, 2005, 12:54 am #17

I just read one prediction that the whole city will be under water for weeks, with oil and sewer........

jf

wrote:Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.

jgoo
Fulla-Carp
jgoo
Fulla-Carp

August 29th, 2005, 2:46 am #18

I hope you all living in the way of this storm are doing okay! Take care and let us know how you're doing as soon as you can!

Cathys
Senior Carp
Cathys
Senior Carp

August 29th, 2005, 4:15 am #19

Jolly and WynnBear,
I'm keeping you all in my thoughts. It sounds like it will be one heck of a blustery day. Hope you all stay safe and further inland. They're talking about Camille in the same breath as this one.

Cathy

Friday
Fulla-Carp
Friday
Fulla-Carp

August 29th, 2005, 8:22 am #20

Katrina is supposed to hit New Orleans and that's where WynnBear is. But Jolly isn't in New Orleans. Hopefully he's out of the danger zone, although I have been wondering why he hasn't been posting...

Be safe everyone.