QuirtEvans
HOLY CARP!!!
QuirtEvans
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 8:52 am #21

wrote: I just read one prediction that the whole city will be under water for weeks, with oil and sewer........
It all depends on whether the levee system holds. There's lots of speculation about what might happen, including that the levees to Lake Ponchartrain might get breached, with water flowing from that direction too. 80% of New Orleans is below sea level, so it's like a big punch bowl, if water starts flowing in it just fills up.

Some of the old "worst-case" scenarios for New Orleans also had coffins floating in the streets, because many of the cemeteries in New Orleans would be totally flooded.

I heard this morning that the Superdome ... supposedly the "safest" place, the refuge of last resort for people who couldn't evacuate ... could wind up under 20 feet of water.

It would be unwise to underestimate what large groups of ill-informed people acting together can achieve. -- John D'Oh, January 14, 2010.

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 2:15 pm #22

Our hearts and prayers are with those of you in the path of the storm.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

CHAS
Middle Aged Carp
CHAS
Middle Aged Carp

August 29th, 2005, 3:00 pm #23

One or more holes have opened up in the roof of the Superdome.
"You want to be Nice, or you want to be Effective? Make the law or be subject to it?"-Roy Cohn

The 89th Key
HOLY CARP!!!
The 89th Key
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 9:12 pm #24

Jolly...let us know your status!

Anyone else live within the "danger zone"?

Dewey
HOLY CARP!!!
Dewey
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 9:16 pm #25

I know that Jolly is more interior than New Orleans, but still undoubtedly in the danger zone. Hope to hear from both him and WynnBear asap...

:prayer:

"By nature, i prefer brevity." - John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, p. 685.

"Never waste your time trying to explain yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you." - Anonymous

"Oh sure, every once in a while a turd floated by, but other than that it was just fine." - Joe A., 2011

I'll answer your other comments later, but my primary priority for the rest of the evening is to get drunk." - Klaus, 12/31/14

justme
HOLY CARP!!!
justme
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 9:24 pm #26

poor, poor Mississippi. It worries me that we haven't heard much out of Biloxi. Gosh, I hate these kind of disasters.

I do hope people are willing to give as much (if not more) in donations as they did for the tsunami victims.
"Men sway more towards hussies." G-D3

KlavierBauer
HOLY CARP!!!
KlavierBauer
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 9:37 pm #27

Biloxi is now supposed to get hit harder than New Orleans.

Jolly and Wynnbear, I hope that you both, and your families and loved ones are OK.
"I realize you want him to touch you all over and give you babies, but his handling of the PR side really did screw the pooch." - Ivory Thumper
"He said sleepily: "Don't worry mom, my dick is like hot logs in the morning." - Apple

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

August 29th, 2005, 10:10 pm #28

justme wrote: poor, poor Mississippi. It worries me that we haven't heard much out of Biloxi. Gosh, I hate these kind of disasters.

I do hope people are willing to give as much (if not more) in donations as they did for the tsunami victims.
Of course not. It's americans. Who gives a damn about americans less than other americans?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

MrsKB
Middle Aged Carp
MrsKB
Middle Aged Carp

August 29th, 2005, 10:16 pm #29

All you affected....you're in my thoughts and prayers! be safe!
Winning is a habit. Watch your thoughts, they become your beliefs. Watch your beliefs, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your habits. Watch your habits, they become your character. ~Vince Lombardi