JON'S SECRET HIDEOUT KEEP OUT

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

April 26th, 2018, 6:38 pm #1

Haha f­uck you it was a trap. Gotcha!
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

April 27th, 2018, 11:02 pm #2

Let's talk about Sam Harris' podcast here.

I've been going through the backlog recently. I suppose this really is the cutting edge of thought. It's a great pleasure to be exposed to it.

The Omer Aziz episode was an awesome trainwreck! I especially enjoyed that one.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

April 29th, 2018, 8:46 pm #3

You know, I could only listen to about 10m of it. I didn't even get to the train wreck part, I think.

I've liked the episodes with each of the Weinstein brothers. I even liked the Jordan Peterson episodes.

Have you heard the episode where he lays out his views on guns? Something in there for everyone to hate. But I thought he made perfect sense.

I was never a huge fan of the Lawrence Krause episodes. I'm not losing sleep over the fact that he blew himself up. Or maybe other people blew him up. And Matt Dilahunty just seems out of place on a stage with Harris, and of course Dawkins.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 3rd, 2018, 12:55 am #4

This most recent one (about Christianity) is actually quite interesting.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

May 3rd, 2018, 2:20 pm #5

I agree about Dillahunty. It's clear that he's a talk radio show host, for better or worse. Certainly worse when on stage with those other folk.

I enjoyed the most recent one too. It's a rare opportunity to listen to someone that educated about a religion, but without a religious bias toward or against it.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

May 4th, 2018, 4:42 pm #6

Why are there so many dead hookers in here?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 4th, 2018, 8:26 pm #7

The live ones got away.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

May 7th, 2018, 12:53 am #8

I finally got around to listening to the Scott Adams episode. Adams came off much better than I expected from all the negative references Harris has made to the episode since it aired.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

May 7th, 2018, 9:37 pm #9

I listened to the Timothy Snyder episode. That was a quaint bit of TDS hysteria. I'm glad people aren't having to endure those sorts of emotions anymore. At least, I don't think they are.

Funny thing is, I've always considered Harris measured in his attitude towards Trump, even with an ability to tell others on the left to calm down a bit. Going back through the podcast history, it's clear he didn't start out that way.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 8th, 2018, 7:20 pm #10

Horace wrote:I finally got around to listening to the Scott Adams episode. Adams came off much better than I expected from all the negative references Harris has made to the episode since it aired.
Yeah, I don't think the episode was a train wreck. I remember thinking Adams was a bit weaselly, though. Harris (in general) illustrates his points with analogies quite bit. Adams would often deflect, pretending that analogies were a per se problem, and not address the original point. But then he'd constantly bring up his own recurring analogy about two movies on one screen. When I listened I was shocked Harris never called him out on it. He also resorted more than once to the '5D chess' defense about everything he couldn't defend in any straightforward way. Conveniently unfalsifiable. At least Harris did call him out on that.

I also think he was a little disingenuous in his claim to not be a true Trump fan, rather just appreciative of the 'persuasion'. THat's really obviously false.

Ok, done bitching. I appreciated his insight into 'emotional truths' contained in many of Trump's untruths. Overall I thought he did as good a job as one can do in defending the idea of Trump without relying purely on resentment and nihilism.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 8th, 2018, 7:23 pm #11

Horace wrote:I listened to the Timothy Snyder episode. That was a quaint bit of TDS hysteria. I'm glad people aren't having to endure those sorts of emotions anymore. At least, I don't think they are.

Funny thing is, I've always considered Harris measured in his attitude towards Trump, even with an ability to tell others on the left to calm down a bit. Going back through the podcast history, it's clear he didn't start out that way.
Don't feel like looking it up but I assume that is the guy that wrote some book about road to tyranny? Yeah I thought that was over the top, not sure I even finished the episode.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

May 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm #12

jon-nyc wrote:Overall I thought he did as good a job as one can do in defending the idea of Trump without relying purely on resentment and nihilism.
That's a tell. You say he did something as well as possible.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 8th, 2018, 11:01 pm #13

As well as I've heard anyway. How about you?

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

May 9th, 2018, 3:28 am #14

Nihilism as it applies to what sorts of politicians we have is the best I've heard. But your criteria excludes that. What can one say? Trump is transparently very human.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 16th, 2018, 2:57 pm #15

Still working through the backlist. I just listened to the Ayyan Hirsi Ali episode. Good episode, but depressing.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

May 16th, 2018, 9:46 pm #16

The Gary Taubes episode is fantastic.

I haven't listened to the Ayyan Hirsi Ali ep yet but I'll get to it.

I did listen to the other ex-muslim, Sarah Haider, but she was humorless and uninteresting. I couldn't make it through that one.

The Max Tegmark episodes are great. I got his book Our Mathematical Universe. Pretty neat stuff, but I need to listen again to try to understand it more.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 17th, 2018, 1:19 am #17

Did you get his book after hearing him on the podcast?

I want to get that book too.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

May 18th, 2018, 1:09 am #18

Yes, I had never heard of him until the podcast.

I listened to the Joshua Oppenheimer one, and watched the first of his documentaries, The Act of Killing. Chilling and brilliant.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 26th, 2018, 1:43 am #19

Do you support him? It gets you access to his AMAs.

The latest (#12):
wrote:Questions answered in this AMA:

What are examples of intellectually honest and fair criticisms of your views?

What is the most consequential false belief you’ve ever held, and how did you shake it?

What is the distinction between merely consuming the ideas of others and thinking things through on one’s own?

What problems do you see with capitalism?

What are your views on psychoanalysis?

What do you think about the claim that “everyone engages in tribalism”?

I’m a heart surgeon and an atheist. My patients often ask me to pray with them. How should I respond?

What is your opinion of Alan Watts?

Which cognitive biases affect you the most?

What is the most low-brow thing you do on a regular basis?

Jordan Peterson has claimed that the New Atheists haven’t grappled with Jung, Dostoyevsky, and Nietzsche. How do you respond?

What is your view of the “Intellectual Dark Web,” and are you happy to be part of it?

What social justice activism do you support?

Do you believe that you are overly sensitive to criticism?

If free will can be an illusion, why can’t consciousness be one too?

What do you think about the (eastern) concept of enlightenment?

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

May 26th, 2018, 3:14 am #20

I come hear when I have trouble sleeping. It helps.