Has anyone ever rented a carpet cleaner?

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 7:42 pm #1

You know, Rug Doctor or one of those things you rent at Home Depot.

How was your experience?
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 7:47 pm #2

No, but I've had services come out, pick up the rug, and return it clean in a few days. Generally it has been great.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 7:50 pm #3

I've done it. They work pretty well.

A few years ago, I just went out and bought a homeowner's model.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Mark
HOLY CARP!!!
Mark
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 8:13 pm #4

Yes, they work good. I find it's always better to have a professional carpet cleaner do it.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 9:11 pm #5

This is pretty close to the one I own, it works great.

BISSELL ProHeat 2X Advanced Full-Size Carpet Cleaner - $179 at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BISSELL-ProH ... 3=&veh=sem

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Rainman
Fulla-Carp
Rainman
Fulla-Carp

May 15th, 2018, 9:51 pm #6

Copper wrote:This is pretty close to the one I own, it works great.

BISSELL ProHeat 2X Advanced Full-Size Carpet Cleaner - $179 at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BISSELL-ProH ... 3=&veh=sem
We've got three Bissell carpet shampoo machines.
One is a "Big Green" that was one of their earlier models. The next is also large, and does a really good job. The third is small, a bit larger than a toaster. It's great for car interiors, or when something spills and you need to suck it up easily, without getting the large contraption out.

My wife is a bit fanatic (can you tell?) when it comes to shampooing the carpet.
I'm so lucky I now have a bad back. Gets me out of all kinds of projects I detest anyway.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 9:56 pm #7

Rainman wrote:I'm so lucky I now have a bad back. Gets me out of all kinds of projects I detest anyway.
:clap:

Thinking about renting one. Now that the dog is gone, I'd like to get those rugs cleaned, well.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Steve Miller
Bull-Carp

May 15th, 2018, 10:24 pm #8

The problem with the rental machines is that most of them don't scrub. All they do is steam and extract. Scrubbing does a better job.

For the price of a few rentals you can buy a factory reconditioned home machine that works very well. I use Hoovers but they all look to work about the same way.

Keys to getting a good job with either type of machine is to pre-treat spots using a pre-treating product (there are special ones for dog stains), rinse until the rinse water comes up clear (soap left in the rug makes it look dingy very quickly) and to get the carpet as dry as possible.
Wag more
Bark less

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 10:26 pm #9

Steve Miller wrote:The problem with the rental machines is that most of them don't scrub. All they do is steam and extract. Scrubbing does a better job.

For the price of a few rentals you can buy a factory reconditioned home machine that works very well. I use Hoovers but they all look to work about the same way.

Keys to getting a good job with either type of machine is to pre-treat spots using a pre-treating product (there are special ones for dog stains), rinse until the rinse water comes up clear (soap left in the rug makes it look dingy very quickly) and to get the carpet as dry as possible.
Thanks for your thoughts, Steve. Do you have a model you'd recommend?

ETA: And a place to get one?

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 10:34 pm #10

Why not hire a company? Buying too fancy a new car?

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 10:38 pm #11

Mikhailoh wrote:Why not hire a company?
It's a bunch of area rugs - a total of 5-6. Probably cheaper to do it myself.
wrote:Buying too fancy a new car?
Blow me.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

May 15th, 2018, 10:53 pm #12

You won't have dog hair just on the rugs. You'll have it on the floors and drapes and bookshelves and everywhere. It's awful to think about, but you could consider having a company take the rugs away and clean them in their shop, and y'all use the time they're away to scrub and polish all the rest.

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

May 15th, 2018, 10:59 pm #13

George K wrote:
Mikhailoh wrote:Why not hire a company?
It's a bunch of area rugs - a total of 5-6. Probably cheaper to do it myself.
At least get a quote. Half the cost is picking it up and delivering. We get multiple rug discounts.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Steve Miller
Bull-Carp

May 15th, 2018, 11:17 pm #14

I like simple ones like this:

At Home Depot

The one we have at home is fancier and I don't care for it. "Automatic cleaning technology" means it dispenses detergent when you push it and extracts when you pull it. I'd rather go over a section twice to get it good and dry but you end up just dispensing more detergent when you push it again. The "heated drying" thing doesn't seem to do much.

The other thing the house machine has is "auto-mix". It works OK once I figured out that it is calibrated for Hoover detergent and nothing else. Hoover detergent works very, very well but it's $$$. It's twice as concentrated as Rug Doctor detergent/Home Depot detergent but even at that for large jobs I don't use it. It's not a big deal - you can always just pour the detergent in with the wash water like you do with the cheaper machines.

Edit: I see Hoover has a special "pet" detergent. If you are only doing a few area rugs I would spring for it. You can probably use it straight out of the bottle as a pre-treater.

Hoover Pet Detergent

Wag more
Bark less