Food, not money.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

1:32 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #1

The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
John Galt
Fulla-Carp

1:43 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #2

PSA: The ignore function works on the new platform.

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

1:47 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #3

And I've been asking for years why not single-payer food if we need single-payer healthcare?

I wasn't really serious.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

1:49 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #4

So ... will they invite Michelle Obama to curate the food baskets? :blink:

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

2:04 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #5

So they are bitching about the free food they are getting?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

2:06 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #6

Luke's Dad wrote:So they are bitching about the free food they are getting?
That's pretty cheesy of them, isn't it?
"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

A guide to GKSR: Click

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

2:08 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #7

It makes perfect sense. The government can buy Cheerios in bulk for a lot less money than 50 million families buying it individually.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
HOLY CARP!!!

2:11 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #8

Luke's Dad wrote:It makes perfect sense. The government can buy Cheerios in bulk for a lot less money than 50 million families buying it individually.
Good point; the government can buy healthcare in bulk for a lot less money than 126 million households buying it individually too!

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

2:13 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #9

I haven't heard much about it, but I think we'll find out that the democrats want the beggars to be choosers.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

2:14 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #10

Axtremus wrote:
Luke's Dad wrote:It makes perfect sense. The government can buy Cheerios in bulk for a lot less money than 50 million families buying it individually.
Good point; the government can buy healthcare in bulk for a lot less money than 126 million households buying it individually too!
No they can't, to both.

Maybe they can buy it, but they can't deliver it in a way that it can be used for a lot less.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

3:05 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #11

Back to the future.

It take some of the fraud out of the system and it provides better food than Cheetos and moon pies.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

3:10 AM - Feb 13, 2018 #12

Copper wrote:
Axtremus wrote:
No they can't, to both.

Maybe they can buy it, but they can't deliver it in a way that it can be used for a lot less.
Very true. Hospitals and I think doctors make more profit on commercial insurance.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
John Galt
Fulla-Carp

2:00 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #13

wrote:“What we do is propose that for folks who are on food stamps, part — not all, part — of their benefits come in the actual sort of, and I don't want to steal somebody's copyright, but a Blue Apron-type program where you actually receive the food instead of receive the cash,” Mulvaney said. “It lowers the cost to us because we can buy [at wholesale prices] whereas they have to buy it at retail. It also makes sure they're getting nutritious food. So we're pretty excited about that.”

1) Federal government inserting itself into peoples' eating habits, trying to force them to eat healthy.

2) Federal government getting involved in food distribution logistics. We know they're really good at that already; just see how well it worked in Puerto Rico.

This sounds like a "big government telling American's what to do" program invented by Democrats....Hard to believe we're not hearing cries of derision from the TNCR peanut gallery....

PSA: The ignore function works on the new platform.

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

2:19 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #14

John Galt wrote:
wrote:“What we do is propose that for folks who are on food stamps, part — not all, part — of their benefits come in the actual sort of, and I don't want to steal somebody's copyright, but a Blue Apron-type program where you actually receive the food instead of receive the cash,” Mulvaney said. “It lowers the cost to us because we can buy [at wholesale prices] whereas they have to buy it at retail. It also makes sure they're getting nutritious food. So we're pretty excited about that.”

1) Federal government inserting itself into peoples' eating habits, trying to force them to eat healthy.

2) Federal government getting involved in food distribution logistics. We know they're really good at that already; just see how well it worked in Puerto Rico.

This sounds like a "big government telling American's what to do" program invented by Democrats....Hard to believe we're not hearing cries of derision from the TNCR peanut gallery....

It's my money. i don't like it spent foolishly.

I know how the scams are done with convenience stores to get booze and cigarettes paid for with food stamp cards. I know how groceries are sold - 50-75 cents on the dollar - by food stamp recipients. I know what kind of food I see in grocery store carts...Typically, a lot of junk food and a lot of pre-prepared stuff.

I know that many people who receive food stamps also receive Medicaid. While nobody lives forever, bad food choices help bring on a lot of maintenance diseases such heart disease and diabetes.

Lastly, I submit much of the distribution problem in Puerto Rico was a direct result of local incompetence and graft. You didn't see those problems in Houston or Florida, did you? The Feds can only do so much in a major disaster and then the locals have to carry the ball.

Now, instead of throwing rocks, tell me how you would fix the problem.

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

3:43 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #15

John Galt wrote: Federal government inserting itself into peoples' eating habits, trying to force them to eat healthy.
Why in the world would the federal government want people to eat healthy?

Especially people who don't pay taxes?

It only increases the maintenance cost.

taiwan_girl
Fulla-Carp

3:44 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #16

wrote:2) Federal government getting involved in food distribution logistics. We know they're really good at that already; just see how well it worked in Puerto Rico.
I think that this would be the biggest reason why something like this would not work in the US. The size of trying to do this would end up costing (probably) more than any saving from buying large amounts. A program like this would be a disaster in the US. Do you have people come to a wearhouse to pick up their food? DO you deliver it to them? Do you set up a extra government department in charge of buying the food, shipping the food, putting the food in packages, shipping the food?

I have been in countries with something like this works, but the situation is very different and there are not an alternative like in the US.
wrote:I know how the scams are done with convenience stores to get booze and cigarettes paid for with food stamp cards. I know how groceries are sold - 50-75 cents on the dollar - by food stamp recipients. I know what kind of food I see in grocery store carts...Typically, a lot of junk food and a lot of pre-prepared stuff.
I don't think this program would stop the above at all. If people are going to cheat the system, they will find a way.

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

3:44 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #17

Jolly wrote:It's my money. i don't like it spent foolishly.
Says the guy who wants a lavish military parade.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

3:47 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #18

taiwan_girl wrote:I don't think this program would stop the above at all. If people are going to cheat the system, they will find a way.
That’s exactly right. That incidents happen is no argument against these programs; nothing is perfect. It’s about cost-benefit and how effective they are overall.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!
Luke's Dad
HOLY CARP!!!

4:01 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #19

Nah, they could subcontract out to Amazon, and with the volume discounts they could get, it would easily get them the savinfs we are speaking about.

Copper
HOLY CARP!!!
Copper
HOLY CARP!!!

4:14 PM - Feb 13, 2018 #20

The government isn't going to supply prime rib.

We're talking about Cheerios, Tostitos and Mac Cheese.

Those things are getting distributed pretty efficiently right now.