George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 11:19 am #1

Sorta related to Jolly's thread.

When it's time for the pet to go, don't desert them:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/p ... 31961.html
A "broken-hearted" vet has revealed how frightened pets search for their owners who have chosen to leave the room when they are put down.
In a viral social media post, the anonymous vet wrote that animals“don’t understand why you left them” in their dying moments.

“I beg you DO NOT LEAVE THEM,” the message shared by Hillcrest Veterinary Clinic in South Africa  read.

“DO not make them transition from life to death in a room full of strangers in a place they don’t like.

“The thing you people need to know that most of you don’t is that THEY SEARCH FOR YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE THEM BEHIND!!!!”

“They search every face in the room for their loved person. They don’t understand why you left them when they are sick, scared, old, or dying from cancer and they need your comfort.”

The vet added that owners should not be a “coward” and to do the right thing by comforting their pets.

The post signed off with, “From a tired broken-hearted vet” and has been shared over 87,000 times.

One man, named Randy Mason, was one of more than 4,000 commenters to share his own distressing experience at the vets.

He wrote: “Had to let my beautiful 20 year old Siamese go. I insisted on holding my baby as he crossed...I kept telling him I loved him and he knew I was with him.

“I wanted him to see me and know that I'd always be with him...he gave me so much over the years and I still miss him every day...”

“So glad you posted this. I’ve heard people say “it was too hard for me to stay.” REALLY ? Too “hard” for you?

“That time isn’t about YOU. It’s about THEIR last minutes on this earth.

“I dont care how much It hurts you. Do the right thing for THEM. All they gave you was unconditional love,” she added.

Another user, named Jenna Jackson, commended the veterinary clinic for sharing the message.
Last edited by George K on September 14th, 2018, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:29 am #2

Amen.  Probably there's some anthropomorphizing there, but we have no way of knowing what animals know or how they experience their reality.  That experience of Randy Mason's duplicated mine exactly.  It nearly killed me, but like he said, it was vital that my little one knew I was there while she went to sleep.  

And not that it mattered in the slightest, but the clinic waived the fee, which supports that my vets felt the same way as the vet in the post.  

George K
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 11:36 am #3

I've had occasion to have 3 dogs die.

The first one, I euthanized myself. We did it in the family room, with all of us there.

The other two were in the care of a vet - again, I was there for both of those.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 11:42 am #4

Every time.  I could not imagine deserting them like that because it was hard for me.   When we had to say goodbye to Mojo all three of us were there. 

Larry
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 12:03 pm #5

Every pet I've ever had died in my arms, being petted as they fell asleep. It's hard, but it's not you that needs comforting, it's the animal. My 24 year old cat that refuses to die is bound to do so in the near future.. her favorite thing is for me to cradle her in my arms on her back, with me standing in front of a window so she can look out the window upside down while I rub her head and talk softly to her. She will lay like that until she falls asleep. When her time comes, I hope she passes on in that same way, peacefully falling asleep thinking it's just like usual.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 1:06 pm #6

So you guys are saying it's not OK to drive 50 miles and abandon your dying pet in the middle of nowhere?  :hair:

bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 1:13 pm #7

I was with Leo. Had my hand on his head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 1:36 pm #8

Klaus wrote: So you guys are saying it's not OK to drive 50 miles and abandon your dying pet in the middle of nowhere?  :hair:
Some people just need killin'.

You show me a man that will mistreat animals and I'll show you a man that will mistreat people.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Friday
Fulla-Carp
Friday
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 8:03 pm #9

I'm in tears right now.  

It never even occurred to me that anyone would leave them.  That's too cruel.

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 8:56 pm #10

The loss of civility is a growing cancer and you find it everywhere, in all walks of life. HR managers stop reaching out to applicants to tell them positions have been filled. Applicants stop reaching out to them to mention that they've found another position. Couples used to take the easy way out by breaking up over the phone. Then we took the next step by relying on texting. Now, it's completely satisfactory to just go full-on coward and stop communicating, with no explanation given.

With families, it's now become acceptable to avoid visiting others in the hospital; a simple "get well soon!" on Facebook suffices. And screening communication from family members is of course completely okay.

We don't face the world anymore, we hide from it. (Ironically, we often do so through communication technology.) You can see it with millenials especially, many of whom are completely and pathetically ill-equipped to handle in-person communication of any kind.

Of course people just leave their pets. Let the vets take care of it, my selfishness can't handle the responsibility.

Bunch of damn cowards.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 9:08 pm #11

Not if our group is any indication.  There have always been the crass, cruel and unfeeling.  I think what lets iot out more these days is our anonymity.  

Davis
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Fulla-Carp

September 14th, 2018, 11:25 pm #12

I agree 100% with everything everyone has said thus far.  I’ve been there for many pets as well as several loved ones.

I can’t help to think that those who avoid will ultimately suffer more.

Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
HOLY CARP!!!

September 14th, 2018, 11:59 pm #13

Mikhailoh wrote: Not if our group is any indication.  There have always been the crass, cruel and unfeeling.  I think what lets iot out more these days is our anonymity.  
I think you got it in one. That and how it bleeds into false perceived anonymity in other circumstances.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Catseye3
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Fulla-Carp

September 15th, 2018, 12:04 am #14

Mikhailoh wrote: Not if our group is any indication.  There have always been the crass, cruel and unfeeling.  I think what lets iot out more these days is our anonymity.  
:yes:  Think how freeing it is to let the demon out on Twitter.  

It's a matter of time before first one, then the next, experiments with letting the demon out in real time.  Then -- watch out!  

Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!
Jolly
HOLY CARP!!!

September 15th, 2018, 12:36 am #15

Aqua Letifer wrote: The loss of civility is a growing cancer and you find it everywhere, in all walks of life. HR managers stop reaching out to applicants to tell them positions have been filled. Applicants stop reaching out to them to mention that they've found another position. Couples used to take the easy way out by breaking up over the phone. Then we took the next step by relying on texting. Now, it's completely satisfactory to just go full-on coward and stop communicating, with no explanation given.

With families, it's now become acceptable to avoid visiting others in the hospital; a simple "get well soon!" on Facebook suffices. And screening communication from family members is of course completely okay.

We don't face the world anymore, we hide from it. (Ironically, we often do so through communication technology.) You can see it with millenials especially, many of whom are completely and pathetically ill-equipped to handle in-person communication of any kind.

Of course people just leave their pets. Let the vets take care of it, my selfishness can't handle the responsibility.

Bunch of damn cowards.
Sometimes you shine.

Now, don't let that go to your head.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros