jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

December 4th, 2017, 12:51 am #21

Do listen, it’s podcast #62.
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

December 5th, 2017, 12:05 am #22

jon-nyc wrote:Do listen, it’s podcast #62.
His attempt to co-opt the meaning of "true" to mean "good" in some moral sense didn't seem well thought out. Even if he succeeded in getting people to use the word "true" that way, the idea of logical coherence would still exist, and we'd just invent another word for it so we could communicate sensibly. He can try to manipulate labels or words but he can't erase the fact that logic has nothing to do with morality.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

December 5th, 2017, 12:34 am #23

That’s pretty much my conclusion. Well, probably just about anybody’s.

I do like his videos on the pronoun law and the opera buffa of today’s campuses.

Moonbat
Pisa-Carp
Moonbat
Pisa-Carp

December 5th, 2017, 12:52 am #24

At various points he appears to suggest that he's not merely playing with words and then at other points he seems to suggest that is all he's doing. He's out of his league talking to Harris. Pity, given how powerful a speaker he is when it comes to opposing the more insiduous aspects of the social justice movement.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

December 6th, 2017, 3:18 pm #25

Hey IT - curious what you think about Peterson’s epistemology. I can’t really see you agreeing with him but I also can’t imagine you siding with Sam Harris without breaking out in hives or something. :)

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

December 6th, 2017, 4:33 pm #26

I browsed a couple more episodes of that podcast. The conversation with Charles Murray was fantastic. But the most recent episode "Is Life Really Worth Living" serves only to prove that the first conversation with Jordan Peterson is far from the dumbest episode of that podcast.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
HOLY CARP!!!

December 6th, 2017, 4:48 pm #27

If you want to hear a great discussion about the moral and political dead end of identity politics, listen to the discussion with Mark Lila about his book ‘the once and future liberal’.

Another excellent one is the discussion with Nikolas Christokas, the prof who was hounded by the mob at Yale in one of the earlier incidents in this era of campus Opera Buffa.

Horace
HOLY CARP!!!
Horace
HOLY CARP!!!

December 6th, 2017, 4:57 pm #28

jon-nyc wrote:If you want to hear a great discussion about the moral and political dead end of identity politics, listen to the discussion with Mark Lila about his book ‘the once and future liberal’.

Another excellent one is the discussion with Nikolas Christokas, the prof who was hounded by the mob at Yale in one of the earlier incidents in this era of campus Opera Buffa.
I liked when Charles Murray said that Hillary's "deplorables" comment may have been a political blunder that changed the course of world history. I've toyed with that thought myself. What an ignoramus thing to have been scripted to say.

But I'm glad she and her followers got the sweet catharsis of saying and hearing it.

I also liked how Murray characterized Trump as the right's "murder weapon".