The moon and the rut; still though...

Sam Menard
Great White Hunter!
Sam Menard
Great White Hunter!

March 17th, 2009, 9:38 pm #1

Positing about this topic is a bit weird for me because I'm a believer of sound science. I am aware that there has been scientific papers presented that discount Charles Aslsheimer's hypothesis that the 2nd full moon after the fall equinox trigers the rut.

Still though, it's been my own personal experiences that suggests that there might be something behind the hypothesis. Granted, I'm not out in the deer woods 24/7 during the fall so I can only base my opinion on a short window. BUT, there have been times when the hypothesis has been bang on.

Take this past fall for example, many hunters across several Forums reported that the rut didn't happen, or wasn't noticeable. I happen to hunt the week starting Saturday November 13th; which was probably later than most hunters. Our party did experience some classic rutting (breeding) behaviour at several locations. Coincidently, this was at the same time that Alsheimer said would be prime time.

All the arguments that I've read or heard about that discount the hypothesis are valid. Stil though, I'm keeping an open mind about this.

A word about aging fetuses to predict conception dates; I read in Deer and Deer Hunting magazine that some of the methods used are not very accurate. I'm going to go through my back issues to refresh my memory.

Sam

bigfoot
A wise one
A wise one
bigfoot
A wise one
A wise one

March 17th, 2009, 9:41 pm #2

I'm of the persuasion that there is something to it, but that's just me. From what I've seen, there is something to be learned...but then again...,maybe it's ME that's affected by the Moon...LOL..

Renegade
Hunting God
Hunting God
Renegade
Hunting God
Hunting God

March 17th, 2009, 9:45 pm #3

I am on the fence on the moon and the rut myself. I don't think you can base your decision on a few seasons of experience, you need a whole lot of seasons and objective research. I like much of what Charles Aslsheimer has written and no doubt he has some great wisdom on whitetails. Of course there are two sides to this. I don't time my hunt based on what the expected time of the rut is and I judge rutting activity during my hunts. Doe's come into estrous over a long period of time in the fall, just hope to have one near my stand while I'm hunting.

Sam Menard
Great White Hunter!
Sam Menard
Great White Hunter!

March 17th, 2009, 10:04 pm #4

Rene, your right that you can't base an opinion on one or two season. That's why it takes several years of reasearch based on sound scientific principles to publish a scientific paper. I would expect that Alsheimer and Laroche will publish their findings but it will be a few years down the road.

Incidently, I've been deer hunting for over 35 years and from my limited experiences, there is something to their hypothesis. Deer may have some ability beyond our understanding (something more than light levels) that triggers the rut.

If I'm not mistaken, next November's full moon will occur early in the month. It will be interesting to hear what hunters have witnessed re. rutting activity.

Sam

WLK
Advanced Hunter
WLK
Advanced Hunter

March 17th, 2009, 10:28 pm #5

I too am suspect to Alshiemers moon phase theory, but he has stated it's a 15 year study and he's only about in the middle of his research.

Muskoka Whitetails
Great White Hunter!
Muskoka Whitetails
Great White Hunter!

March 17th, 2009, 11:05 pm #6

I definitely think the moon has an effect on animal activity including the rut but I also think that even the best studies are not even coming close to understanding the complexity of all the elements involved. I think it will be decades before the mystery is unraveled to a simplistic form that hunters can use effectively. Right now it is just a bunch of best guesses and theories.
wrote:"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disapprove his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importantance of this fact." ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Aldo Leopold

bigfoot
A wise one
A wise one
bigfoot
A wise one
A wise one

March 17th, 2009, 11:08 pm #7

well put Muskoka Whitetails!..I agree.

Terrym
A wise one
A wise one
Terrym
A wise one
A wise one

March 17th, 2009, 11:45 pm #8

Alot of what I have read also states that its the photoperiod or hours of daylight that triggers the rut. I read that in controlled conditions where they controlled the amount of daylight they could trigger rutting activity in almost any month?

Happiness is a warm gutpile

Renegade
Hunting God
Hunting God
Renegade
Hunting God
Hunting God

March 17th, 2009, 11:46 pm #9

wrote:Alot of what I have read also states that its the photoperiod or hours of daylight that triggers the rut. I read that in controlled conditions where they controlled the amount of daylight they could trigger rutting activity in almost any month?
That is what member TR Michels contends.

Terrym
A wise one
A wise one
Terrym
A wise one
A wise one

March 17th, 2009, 11:49 pm #10

renegade wrote:
wrote:Alot of what I have read also states that its the photoperiod or hours of daylight that triggers the rut. I read that in controlled conditions where they controlled the amount of daylight they could trigger rutting activity in almost any month?
That is what member TR Michels contends.
Yeah I read it from Leonard Lee Rue about 20 yrs ago.

Happiness is a warm gutpile