SmartOut Ontario - android app for outdoorsmen

p4rp
Rookie
p4rp
Rookie

February 26th, 2017, 9:29 pm #1

Hi everybody.

I've created a smart phone app (Android only) to help with fishing and hunting seasons and maps. Basically it has:

- Map of Wildlife Management Units (WMU)
- Hunting seasons by game category (Migratory Birds, Deer e.t.c.)
- Hunting seasons by WMU - all seasons for all game in a given WMU
- Map of Fisheries Management Zones (FMZ)
- Fishing Seasons by Zone (FMZ)
- Additional Fishing Opportunities (locations displayed on the map where known)
- Exceptions to zone regulations (locations displayed on the map where known)

Long click anywhere on the map allows to open seasons for this location. Hunting and fishing seasons are presented in familiar format, as in official regulation summaries, but at the same time much easier to look up. Ontario residents hunting seasons are shown by default (can be changed to non-residents in Settings).

The app is about 10 MB download (from Google Play) and it's free! :wink: Check it out - maybe you will find it useful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tout&hl=en
fish_3_screens.jpg
hunt_3_screens.jpg
fish_3_screens.jpg hunt_3_screens.jpg

p4rp
Rookie
p4rp
Rookie

April 20th, 2017, 11:07 pm #2

New version, hunting seasons are updated with 2017-18.

p4rp
Rookie
p4rp
Rookie

May 12th, 2017, 6:54 pm #3

Added some new stuff:

- Southern Ontario Sunday gun hunting map layer. Open WMU map and use top-right ( ⋮ ) menu to turn it on.
- Southern Ontario .275 Calibre map layer (small same hunting restriction for rifle). Open WMU map and use top-right ( ⋮ ) menu to turn it on.

p4rp
Rookie
p4rp
Rookie

May 15th, 2017, 11:28 pm #4

:howdy:
Is anyone like ... alive here? Come on guys, don't you want to put your smart phone to a good use? I thought fellow hunters would at least give my app a chance and check it out ;)

dobber
Know it all
Know it all
dobber
Know it all
Know it all

May 17th, 2017, 5:06 pm #5

For someone who isn't techie in the least i guess the iPhone isn't an android? Thought some of the samsung phones were but as i noted, not a techie here. My phones does all sorts of stuff i haven't used yet, still working on the texting, emails and actually calling people
condescending twat
Someone who looks down on other people and is beyond arrogant

4ST EYES
Advanced Hunter
4ST EYES
Advanced Hunter

May 18th, 2017, 2:04 pm #6

I just got my first cell phone. It is a Samsung but I am still trying to figure it out. It uses the Android platform but at 64 yrs old i am having problems trying to figure it out. I do have a little techie experience but not with cell phones. I will just use the hunting/fishing guide books for now.
EYES ARE WATCHING

p4rp
Rookie
p4rp
Rookie

May 18th, 2017, 7:03 pm #7

dobber wrote:For someone who isn't techie in the least i guess the iPhone isn't an android? Thought some of the samsung phones were but as i noted, not a techie here. My phones does all sorts of stuff i haven't used yet, still working on the texting, emails and actually calling people
You are correct. My app is for Android (Samsung) only and does not work on iPhone. The reason is that Apple requires Apple computer to create apps and I dont have one..

Skeeter
Regular
Skeeter
Regular

May 18th, 2017, 11:28 pm #8

I got it works great don't give up as you add more stuff it will be indispensable.
Bear Baiting
Been there, done that!
Then, been there several more times, because apparently I never learn!

p4rp
Rookie
p4rp
Rookie

May 19th, 2017, 1:49 pm #9

Skeeter wrote:I got it works great don't give up as you add more stuff it will be indispensable.
Thank you! ;) I'm not giving up. The next feature I'm working on will be ability to save locations (marks) locally on your phone. And be able to share location with your friend..

Skeeter
Regular
Skeeter
Regular

May 20th, 2017, 12:28 am #10

you can do that now on the phone saving locations with gps co-ords on google maps eg bear baits then measure straight line distance between baits
but it would be a nice addition to your ap .. maybe the ability to add a note to each saved location
Bear Baiting
Been there, done that!
Then, been there several more times, because apparently I never learn!