USA + Canada + Mexico World Cup 2026?

Kyng
Rank 12

6:51 PM - Apr 10, 2017 #1

:soccer-ball: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39544868 :soccer-ball:

The USA, Canada and Mexico have announced they will launch a historic joint bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

It will be the first tournament after the expansion from 32 teams to 48 and, if successful, it would be the first time a World Cup has been hosted jointly by three countries.

The USA staged the 1994 World Cup, which had the highest average attendance in the tournament's history.

A decision on who will host the tournament will be made in 2020.

That is three years later than originally scheduled because of corruption allegations surrounding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar.

It's an interesting idea - but, are all three nations going to qualify automatically as hosts?

Even with the expansion in the number of teams, that would lock up half of NCAC's six slots in the tournament....

Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Jarkko
Rank 9

10:08 PM - Apr 10, 2017 #2

I don't like it either. It seems like a cheap way for Canada to get into the Cup. :P I mean sure, it isn't quite on par with Qatar, who have never made it, but still... I also disagree with the football logistics of it all. As you said, it would take half of CONCACAF's spots. Finally, these are three BIG countries we're talking about. The travel would probably play a factor too - even more so than USA '94.

Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
CJ wrote:
Jarkko wrote:I noticed the blue colouring wasn't applied to Vancouver Island, though. :P
I suppose they think you've been spending more time on the Wikipedia for some obscure Uralic language I've never heard of, than everyone else combined has been spending on the English-language Wikipedia (even if we only count the time you've been on Vancouver Island :lol: !)

Kyng
Rank 12

10:40 PM - Apr 10, 2017 #3

Yeah, that's a good point about the travel. Chances are it would be very tough for the teams, and very tough for the fans.

(Also, did I really say NCAC in my post?! I meant CONCACAF, of course....I blame Eric :P )
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Kyng
Rank 12

4:58 PM - Jun 13, 2018 #4

Well, the selection has been made official today - and, the 2026 tournament will be jointly hosted by Canada, the USA and Mexico:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44464913

There will be ten host cities in the USA, while there will be three each in Canada and Mexico. However, it's not been decided what will be done about automatic qualification for the host(s).