The Bad Maps Thread

Kyng
Rank 12

July 20th, 2017, 10:47 pm #1

Here's a thread to share and discuss maps which are poorly-drawn, display inaccurate information, or are otherwise terrible :P .

I'll kick it off with one of Emperor Tigerstar's videos. He has a history book which he says was fun to read, but rather lacking in the cartography department....and he picked several of the worst examples to share with us in the video below:

I'd love to see what other maps you've got - but I honestly think that American Civil War map at the end of the video is going to take some beating :lol: !
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Jarkko
Rank 9

July 21st, 2017, 4:55 am #2

An oil company tried to make a BC channel look much safer for tanker travel than it actually is. FAIL.

Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
CJ wrote:
Jarkko wrote:I noticed the blue colouring wasn't applied to Vancouver Island, though. :P
I suppose they think you've been spending more time on the Wikipedia for some obscure Uralic language I've never heard of, than everyone else combined has been spending on the English-language Wikipedia (even if we only count the time you've been on Vancouver Island :lol: !)

Kyng
Rank 12

July 22nd, 2017, 9:58 am #3

Wow >_< .

Judging from Google Maps, the channel is still at least 2 miles wide in most places (even with the islands), so it should still be possible for tankers to get through safely - but it doesn't look like the easiest channel in the world to navigate!
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Jarkko
Rank 9

July 22nd, 2017, 7:42 pm #4

No, and it's very sensitive temperate rainforest ecosystem in the area as well.

CJ wrote:
Jarkko wrote:I noticed the blue colouring wasn't applied to Vancouver Island, though. :P
I suppose they think you've been spending more time on the Wikipedia for some obscure Uralic language I've never heard of, than everyone else combined has been spending on the English-language Wikipedia (even if we only count the time you've been on Vancouver Island :lol: !)

Jarkko
Rank 9

September 11th, 2017, 11:08 pm #5

:lol:

No love for North Carolina, apparently. :P

CJ wrote:

Kyng
Rank 12

September 11th, 2017, 11:52 pm #6

:facepalm:

And it's not even like their second "West Virginia" is even west of anything, except a load of sea water :lol: !
Last edited by Jarkko on September 12th, 2017, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jarkko
Rank 9

September 12th, 2017, 1:31 am #7

lol... emoticon code fail :lol: But yeah. Some people shouldn't be cartographers.

CJ wrote:

Kyng
Rank 12

September 22nd, 2017, 6:42 pm #8

I just discovered that Railroad Tycoon II's map for the 'Southern USA' scenario has some seriously wonky state borders. I don't expect perfection from a 400x300 map, but I would have thought something more accurate than this would be possible:

(Click to enlarge)

Some of the worst failings are in the north-eastern corner of the map. Apparently, there's no District of Columbia, and Washington DC is sitting right in the middle of Maryland (standing in for Baltimore, I guess?):

(Click to enlarge)

As an added bonus, I right-clicked the square in the corner (which, on this map, should be part of New Jersey)....and I discovered that they've just made New Jersey a part of Pennsylvania :headdesk: .

EDIT: Here's the kicker. On further inspection, I discovered that they've made the Bahamas a part of Kansas :rofl: !!!!
Last edited by Kyng on September 22nd, 2017, 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kyng
Rank 12

October 5th, 2017, 6:01 pm #9

(Click to enlarge)

Making the Åland Islands a part of Sweden instead of Finland would be an easy mistake to make. Making them a part of Russia, on the other hand....is not an easy mistake to make!

Now, if this map had been set in 1917 or earlier, the Åland Islands being a part of Russia would have been correct. However, that's only because the whole of Finland was part of Russia then - whereas this game starts in 1950, by which point Finland was very much independent!

[NOTE: Of course, the Russian Federation didn't exist in 1950 either! However, RRT2 doesn't support territorial borders which change mid-game, and this map is supposed to run from 1950 to 2000, by which time the Russian Federation did exist. Should I give them a pass for that? Probably not - but I'm going to, since it's nowhere near as bad as making the Bahamas part of Kansas anyway :P ]

Kyng
Rank 12

October 25th, 2017, 4:49 pm #10

Spot the mistake here:

(Click to enlarge; Source - and answer: Here)