NEW BOARD: Introducing tch-forum.com

Kyng
Rank 12

8:27 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #1

In December 2009, a new forum was born on the ZetaBoards network. Michelle and myself decided that running two separate forums - Blackbird Garden and the Chess Resources Forum - was helping neither of us, and we would be better-served by merging our two forums into a single entity. This started out in life as the Imperial Forum; eventually, it was decided that this name sounded too uptight, and this forum was re-named to The Coffee House in November 2010.

Of course, back then, ZetaBoards was still in a very strong position: it was one of the most modern free pre-hosted forum systems available - and, as such, it boasted a large community of themers and coders. As such, ZetaBoards served us very well as a home during those initial years of the community, and beyond. Unfortunately, as the years went by, ZetaBoards didn't receive the updates that would have allowed it to continue to thrive - and so, the software began to fall further and further behind the times. However, in spite of all of this, there are still four reasons why someone like me would stick with ZetaBoards in 2018:
  1. We have accumulated over 12,000 threads and over 370,000 posts, which it is not practical to transfer elsewhere;
  2. While ZetaBoards has become outdated, it still has decent features for a free service;
  3. There is still a very large selection of high-quality themes and modifications, many dating from the service's heyday;
  4. As already stated, the service is free.
Point #4 was vital to me when I started out, as a broke 19-year-old university student. However, it became less important after I graduated and got a proper job - and then, it went away completely after I started paying for Ad Removal in late 2017. And then, at the beginning of May this year, we learned that the decent features and the range of themes will be going: ZetaBoards forums will be migrated to TapaTalk in the near future. This platform has robust mobile support, but precious little else going for it: it has a very basic feature set, which is not suited to our future needs as a community. Right now, it's not even possible to make a proper custom theme: we've been promised by Brandon that this will be added; however, it's almost certain that the vast range of themes and modifications will not be compatible with the new software. So, that leaves just point #1: all of the topics and posts that we've made over the years. I was rather saddened by this at first - but then, I began to think of it in the following terms: "Do we save our history, or save our future?". This made my choice easy.

So, for the past six weeks or so, we've been very busy setting up a new board, using MyBB's software. Initially, we had planned to migrate to IcyBoards; however, the sudden announcement that that service would be shutting down forced us to switch direction right in the middle of our work. However, we weren't deterred - and, with special thanks to both Megan and Nilla, we set up a new self-hosted MyBB installation, where we continued our work. And, boy, has it been a lot of work: we've been re-creating over eight years' worth of customisations and modifications, on a platform where I have no prior experience. There's no way it would have been possible for me to do it alone - and so, I'm very grateful to all of those who have helped me out along the way. Nilla has been a valuable assistant to me in virtually every aspect of this process: converting themes, installing plugins, cross-posting threads, and others. Gaomon274, too, has been of major help, by investigating every aspect of the software and letting us know what wasn't working (all from a decade-old system which had a hissy fit whenever I tried to use CSS3 for anything :lol: ). Pyrite, too, has had his role to play, even if he has been busy with offline stuff lately. And the beta-testers and early access people deserve special thanks for all the issues they discovered, which will allow our switch to go as smoothly as possible :) .

It's been a very stressful process - but, at long last, it's time for me to pull the curtains back, and unveil our new home. So, I am proud to announce that, on Sunday, 24th June 2018, we will be switching our home to:

We've made every effort to replicate the TCH forum experience on this new board - but, you may notice that some things aren't there just yet, and others have been added that weren't present on ZetaBoards. We have a working Alerts system now; you can rate threads and give reputation to your fellow members - and, most excitingly, we have an arcade again :D ! That's right: for the first time in four years, we're allowing you to waste time of silly Flash games and earn pink Arcade Medals to go beneath your signature :P .

"Okay, that's all well and good, but how do I get an account?"

Registration on this new board is currently closed; however, on Sunday, I will begin the process of pre-registering everybody's accounts. (Okay, not everyone: people who got banned, have long since gone inactive, or were never active in the first place, won't be coming over :P ).

If you would like your account to be pre-registered before then, then please drop me a PM, and I'll register it for you at the earliest convenient opportunity. If you'd like to be registered with a different name from the one you have on TCH, then please let me know, and I'll do that for you; however, it will count towards your annual allocation of free name changes.

Full information on the re-registration process can be found in a separate thread, over here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/The_Coffee_Hou ... 8310029/1/

"And what about my posts and Coffee Credits?"

Don't worry: they'll be coming along too :) . On Sunday, when I pre-register everyone's accounts, I'll transfer their ranks, post counts, awards, items, and Coffee Credits across (along with thread counts, because those are a thing on MyBB :P ). I'll also start the pre-registration process on Sunday by transferring the stats across for everybody who already has an account on there (for example, myself, the beta testers, and anybody who chooses to be pre-registered before Sunday).

Well, when I say "all of your stats will be transferred", there is one exception. Any warnings that you have accumulated on your account will not be transferred across to the new forum. To those of you who have done wrong in the past: consider this a second chance, and make the most of it :) .

If you'd like me to transfer your posts and Coffee Credits before Sunday, then I'll be happy to oblige. However, any further posts and Coffee Credits that you accumulate on ZetaBoards afterwards will NOT be transferred to the new board.

"And what's happening to the ZetaBoards forum?"

After I make the official move on Sunday, I will keep the ZetaBoards forum open for two weeks, just in case anybody has any problems getting onto the new board, or wants to finish off any conversations over here. Then, once those weeks have passed, on Sunday 8th July 2018, I will close the ZetaBoards forum for any further posting - and, from then on, it will be kept as an archive. (If anyone wants temporary posting rights on ZB after 8th July - for example, if they want to cross-post anything with lots of BBCode in it - then I'll be happy to oblige :) ).

So, if you've got any questions, then please go ahead and ask them here. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the new board (and whatever time you have left on ZetaBoards!)
Last edited by Kyng on 11:17 PM - Jun 30, 2018, edited 3 times in total.
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

queenzelda
Rank 7

10:36 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #2

So basically your waiting for Sunday to transfer all of my CC's across to the mybb forum? Cause I was gonna ask why I'm short my current CC (12918).
Last edited by queenzelda on 10:39 PM - Jun 21, 2018, edited 5 times in total.

Nilvafefe
Rank 10
Rank 10

10:40 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #3

queenzelda wrote:So basically your waiting for Sunday to transfer all of my CC's across to the mybb forum? Cause I was gonna ask why I'm short my current CC (12918).
Yes. Sunday is the official move, so everything you have accumulated on here over the years will be transferred to your account on the new board.
CJ's opinion on Nilla being drunk wrote: "Let's just say she's a "useful idiot" when it comes to naming my characters."
Notice: I do NOT make themes for other members or their forums. I make themes for TCH and TCH only. Please do NOT PM ME asking for themes/theme conversions. Thank you!

Kyng
Rank 12

10:47 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #4

Yeah, I'm planning to do it on Sunday, because that's when the official move takes place.

However, like I said: if anyone wants their stats transferred across early, then I'm happy to do that :) .
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

queenzelda
Rank 7

11:03 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #5

Na, I'm good. I can be patient. I was just curious was all. :3 Thanks muchly for the hard work!!! It's much appreciated.

11:15 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #6

Bye Zeta.
This is my final post here!

EDIT:
Guess not...
wrote:Sorry, but you cannot register at this time because the administrator has disabled new account registrations.
<_<
Last edited by MegaphoneStallone on 11:16 PM - Jun 21, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
The Caffeine Crawl is on!
The mission is to have a coffee at every cafe in Melbourne, the world's coffee capital!

Follow the journey!

@CaffeineCrawl_

Nilvafefe
Rank 10
Rank 10

11:17 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #7

MegaphoneStallone wrote:Bye Zeta.

EDIT:
Guess not...
wrote:Sorry, but you cannot register at this time because the administrator has disabled new account registrations.
<_<
If you want you can PM CJ and he can register you today.
CJ's opinion on Nilla being drunk wrote: "Let's just say she's a "useful idiot" when it comes to naming my characters."
Notice: I do NOT make themes for other members or their forums. I make themes for TCH and TCH only. Please do NOT PM ME asking for themes/theme conversions. Thank you!

Kyng
Rank 12

11:18 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #8

Well, if you want an account before the official transfer, please see the following paragraph :) :
wrote:"Okay, that's all well and good, but how do I get an account?"

Registration on this new board is currently closed; however, on Sunday, I will begin the process of pre-registering everybody's accounts. (Okay, not everyone: people who got banned, have long since gone inactive, or were never active in the first place, won't be coming over :P ).

If you would like your account to be pre-registered before then, then please drop me a PM, and I'll register it for you at the earliest convenient opportunity. If you'd like to be registered with a different name from the one you have on TCH, then please let me know, and I'll do that for you; however, it will count towards your annual allocation of free name changes.

Full information on the re-registration process can be found in a separate thread, over here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/The_Coffee_Hou ... 8310029/1/
EDIT: Ninja'd.

EDIT 2: Okay, you should be good to go now :D .
Last edited by Kyng on 11:24 PM - Jun 21, 2018, edited 2 times in total.

11:24 PM - Jun 21, 2018 #9

Nilvafefe wrote:
MegaphoneStallone wrote:Bye Zeta.

EDIT:
Guess not...
<_<
If you want you can PM CJ and he can register you today.
I know, I saw it after I jumped the gun!
The Caffeine Crawl is on!
The mission is to have a coffee at every cafe in Melbourne, the world's coffee capital!

Follow the journey!

@CaffeineCrawl_

Crooked Crow
Rank 5

6:54 AM - Jun 22, 2018 #10

Neato. : D

:tch-crooked-crow:
The only bridge I've ever burned along this legacy I dance, is the one that linked the cities of prosperity and chance.

[12:41 AM] Nilvafefe: its ck vluin of hjottttor