Favourite/Least favourite flags? [Load warning]

CJ
Rank 12

June 28th, 2012, 2:45 pm #1

Let's face it, this topic could legitimately go in any one of about five different forums. However, I think flag designs are more like art than history or politics, so here it is.

So, what are your favourite flags? These can be national flags, sub-national flags (e.g. of US states), flags of organisations, historical flags, fictitious flags, anything.

I would say that I like the flags of the UK and Norway, but I won't, because you'd all call me biased - and you'd have a valid point :P . So, looking elsewhere in the world, I've always liked the flag of Mozambique, mainly because it's so distinctive (with that AK-47 with a bayonet and all):

The only thing with this one is that bits of it are symbolic of their struggle for independence and their links with the former USSR, so it is a bit out of date, and maybe it's time to change it. It'll be a pity, though, and I think this flag will be a tough act to follow.

I'm also going to submit the US flag here. It's got good symbolism, it's very distinctive and instantly recognizable (even in greyscale/thumbnail form, which is more than can be said of a lot of flags), and it's not that hard to reproduce:

Which ones are your favourites?
Last edited by CJ on June 28th, 2012, 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Hedgehog121
Rank 8

June 28th, 2012, 9:28 pm #2

I've always liked the Iranian flag, it's very unique.

Same for the Saudi flag:

But I think the most recognizable and most symbolic flag in history is the US flag.

Displayed and managed officially by US marines in over 170 countries, the US flag has become a symbol of liberty and justice for the world. Not to mention it has been on our moon since July of 1969 when Apollo 11 landed.

Jarkko
Rank 9

June 28th, 2012, 10:04 pm #3

Yes, I'm biased. :P

I've always liked the Aussie Aborigine flag for some reason.

The flags of the Russian Republic of Mari El have piqued my interest too:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ari_El.svg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 006%29.svg

These are big images so I've linked them so as not to mess up the page.

Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
CJ wrote:
Jarkko wrote:I noticed the blue colouring wasn't applied to Vancouver Island, though. :P
I suppose they think you've been spending more time on the Wikipedia for some obscure Uralic language I've never heard of, than everyone else combined has been spending on the English-language Wikipedia (even if we only count the time you've been on Vancouver Island :lol: !)

Pyrite
Rank 9

June 28th, 2012, 10:20 pm #4

More bias:

Bias aside, I love these flags:

Botswana

Greece

Honduras

South Africa

Finland

Canada

Denmark
CJ wrote:Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them.
So there's that.

Jarkko
Rank 9

June 28th, 2012, 11:00 pm #5

Finland :D

Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
CJ wrote:
Jarkko wrote:I noticed the blue colouring wasn't applied to Vancouver Island, though. :P
I suppose they think you've been spending more time on the Wikipedia for some obscure Uralic language I've never heard of, than everyone else combined has been spending on the English-language Wikipedia (even if we only count the time you've been on Vancouver Island :lol: !)

CJ
Rank 12

June 28th, 2012, 11:03 pm #6

Well, I like all the Scandinavian ones in general :P .

The only thing wrong with our flag is that people hate you if you fly it upside down....but it's nearly symmetrical, and thus very easy to fly it upside down by mistake!
Last edited by CJ on June 28th, 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Hedgehog121
Rank 8

June 28th, 2012, 11:54 pm #7

I never realized it wasn't symmetrical. Why is it like that??

CJ
Rank 12

June 29th, 2012, 12:16 am #8

No idea. To trick people into flying it upside down :P ?

Catface
Rank 7

June 29th, 2012, 7:28 am #9

/thread

CJ
Rank 12

June 29th, 2012, 11:34 am #10

You know, if there were some way of making a 3D flag, I think that one would benefit massively!