CJ
Rank 12

July 2nd, 2012, 11:02 am #21

Not that Gaddafi's first efforts were terribly imaginative either. Just copying Egypt there :P !

Mind you, this is when he was trying to merge Libya with them.

@MILH: :headdesk: . A flag with a turkey on????
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Jarkko
Rank 9

July 2nd, 2012, 12:11 pm #22

It seems that way anyway. Looks ridiculous, whatever that thing is.

Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
CJ wrote:
Jarkko wrote:I noticed the blue colouring wasn't applied to Vancouver Island, though. :P
I suppose they think you've been spending more time on the Wikipedia for some obscure Uralic language I've never heard of, than everyone else combined has been spending on the English-language Wikipedia (even if we only count the time you've been on Vancouver Island :lol: !)

lamna
Rank 8

July 2nd, 2012, 1:02 pm #23

I doubt it is an actual turkey, more likely a Capercaillie or black grouse. Still and odd symbol.

I'm not a big fan of quite a few German state flags, which are just the German flag defaced with the coat of arms.
Last edited by lamna on July 2nd, 2012, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost robots.

CJ
Rank 12

July 2nd, 2012, 1:43 pm #24

Those ones aren't that good, and nor is the flag of Hesse:

Apart from proportions and the shade of red, it's identical to the flags of Monaco and Indonesia, despite the state having nothing to do with either country (as far as I'm aware). This is one case where it might have been better to have the coat of arms on it:

Now, on to a German state flag that I do like - the Bavarian "lozenge flag":

I think the lozenges work very well - and besides, how many other flags in the world are like it? The only other one I can think of is this one, which was unofficially used by Monaco, especially in the 17th Century:

Last edited by CJ on July 2nd, 2012, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

lamna
Rank 8

July 2nd, 2012, 1:50 pm #25

It's a good flag, though it's a bit messy around the edges, a bit like how the Bosnian flag has 8 stars, but two halves of one are on the opposite sides of the flag.

The flag of Munich has a lozengy varient, which make sense as it's capital of Bavaria.

Look what I made!

Gonna do the Prince's Flag next, when I find somewhere tropical.

CJ
Rank 12

July 2nd, 2012, 1:58 pm #26

To me, the flag of Bosnia-Herzegovina seems to say "Let's make ourselves look more modern and 'European' than we actually are by copying bits of the EU's flag" :P .

With that said, it's still a better flag than one of the other proposals that Carlos Westendorp came up with for them. To me, it just looks like a 1970s television ident, like this, or this:

Also, nice Minecraft flag :P .

Finally, since we're now having discussions revolving around "least favourite", I'll change the topic title to reflect this. I'll also stick a load warning on here.
Last edited by CJ on July 2nd, 2012, 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lamna
Rank 8

July 2nd, 2012, 2:32 pm #27

Well for the Bosnian flag they had to find something that didn't represent Serbs, Croats or Bosniaks.

Hedgehog121
Rank 8

July 2nd, 2012, 7:06 pm #28

CSA

Maryland

New Orleans

CJ
Rank 12

July 2nd, 2012, 10:49 pm #29

I must say, I'm a bit torn on Maryland's flag. It looks a little too 'busy' for my tastes, but it does have a memorable design, and in any case, it's infinitely better than the state flags that just have writing and/or a seal on a blue background.

I like the other two flags, though.

lamna
Rank 8

July 2nd, 2012, 11:00 pm #30

Not a fan of the modern Confederate flag.

Much prefer this one.