lamna
Rank 8

June 30th, 2012, 10:34 pm #11

I really like the flag of the Qing Dynasty, no the most popular Chinese Dynasty, but the only one with a proper "modern" flag and I like the look.

I also like the old flag of South Africa. It's become associated with apartheid sadly, even though lots of people in the National Party hated that it had the Union Jack in it, and wanted to replace it with a Springbok or somthing.

I love the flag of the German Empire, but it's become associated with German Neo-Nazis, who use it because the flag of the Third Reich is illegal in Germany. The Nazis used it very early on when they needed support from conservatives, but the quickly banned it after they got into power.

Finally a flag that isn't as hated as the others, though a lot of people in the PRC and Green Party don't like it, the flag of the Republic of China. Also known as the Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth.

While looking up the ROC's flag I found that it's popular as a protest flag in Hong Kong, but so is the Union Jack and the Colonial flag of Hong Kong. Also, tomorrow is the day Hong Kong protests the PRC. Happy July 1st!

Last edited by lamna on June 30th, 2012, 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost robots.

Kyng
Rank 12

July 1st, 2012, 12:41 pm #12

Some more good ones there - my favourite of that lot is the RoC flag.

Now, at the other end of the scale, what about everyone's least favourite flags? One of mine is the flag of American Samoa:

It wouldn't be a bad flag at all if it were flipped the other way around (so that the white edge was towards the hoist), but as it is, it just looks awkward. A basic rule of flag design is that any main symbols should be placed in the top left (the canton) or in the centre - not on the right (because they're then invisible when it's not windy).
Last edited by Kyng on July 1st, 2012, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

lamna
Rank 8

July 1st, 2012, 11:08 pm #13

About half of America's state flags. The ones that are blue, with the state seal and writing on. A flag suppose to clearly display who is belongs too.

Here are the flags of Idaho, Vermont, North Dakota and Virgina. At a glance, who's flag is who's?

I also don't like flags with writing on them. The point of a flag is that you don't have to write who it belongs to on it.

Which brings me to the flag I like least.

I really don't like the English flag, for one it's a football flag and it reminds me of the division of these sceptred isles. It's not my flag, it's the flag of louts and those who want to set themselves aside from the rest of the Kingdom. It's not our flag, not the one we earned. It's one we paid the Genoans to use to get protection from their fleet.

Every time I see it I'm reminded that one that we might loose all that bakes Britain great, that we might end up a Northern Serbia.

No, this is my flag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho0PwxeO8Pk

Kyng
Rank 12

July 1st, 2012, 11:16 pm #14

I dislike those ones that just have seals on too. Unlike flags, seals don't flap in the wind, they're only seen from one side, and they are meant to be seen close-up. Besides, manufacturing a "seal on a blue background" flag must be pretty complicated and expensive, especially since seals aren't reversible, thus forcing the use of double- or triple-thickness fabric.

Mind you, this isn't just an American disease:

Cayman Islands:

Pitcairn Islands:

Colonial flag of Hong Kong:

Colonial flag of Uganda:

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera....
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Hedgehog121
Rank 8

July 1st, 2012, 11:46 pm #15

CJ wrote:Some more good ones there - my favourite of that lot is the RoC flag.

Now, at the other end of the scale, what about everyone's least favourite flags? One of mine is the flag of American Samoa:

It wouldn't be a bad flag at all if it were flipped the other way around (so that the white edge was towards the hoist), but as it is, it just looks awkward. A basic rule of flag design is that any main symbols should be placed in the top left (the canton) or in the centre - not on the right (because they're then invisible when it's not windy).
You do realize if it's a two-sided flag it will have the bird on the other side, right?

Anyway, I think the Louisiana state flag is beautiful.

The pelican is the only bird that will give its own flesh to its young for food if it can't find any.
Last edited by Hedgehog121 on March 20th, 2013, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyng
Rank 12

July 1st, 2012, 11:55 pm #16

rmnldr wrote:
CJ wrote:Some more good ones there - my favourite of that lot is the RoC flag.

You do realize if it's a two-sided flag it will have the bird on the other side, right?
Yes, the bird would change to the other side - but so would the flagpole. The whole point was that having the white edge away from the flagpole looks awkward. At least, to me, it does.

When I said that prominent symbols should be placed in the (top) left or in the centre, the assumption was that the flagpole was on the left.
Last edited by Kyng on July 2nd, 2012, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hedgehog121
Rank 8

July 2nd, 2012, 12:17 am #17

Derp... Derp derp...
e_e

Kyng
Rank 12

July 2nd, 2012, 3:07 am #18

Another one for the "Least favourite" category:

I don't think Gaddafi even tried....

Jarkko
Rank 9

July 2nd, 2012, 5:29 am #19

- the flag of the city of Sosnogorsk, Russia.

The giant turkey thing is what kills it, really. :P

Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
CJ wrote:
Jarkko wrote:I noticed the blue colouring wasn't applied to Vancouver Island, though. :P
I suppose they think you've been spending more time on the Wikipedia for some obscure Uralic language I've never heard of, than everyone else combined has been spending on the English-language Wikipedia (even if we only count the time you've been on Vancouver Island :lol: !)

lamna
Rank 8

July 2nd, 2012, 6:39 am #20

For some reason British Ensigns look better to me. Sorry for the weird England rant, I just really hate the English flags with England written on them.

Louisiana's flag is pretty good by American state standards, not quite up their with the New Mexico and Texas A list flags, but still good. Pelicans don't do that though, they have lots of chicks so in bad years at least one won't starve.

That's not Gaddafi's first flag, he had more generic pan-Arab flags in the 70's, but then he found out that all the other Arabs though he was crazy, and sulked and became King of Africa.

The flag of Penza Oblast is rather weird.
Last edited by lamna on July 2nd, 2012, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.