Dinosaur skeleton sells for €1.6m

Kyng
Rank 12

June 4th, 2018, 10:09 pm #1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44362435

An almost complete dinosaur skeleton from 150 million years ago has been sold to a private buyer at an auction in Paris for €1.6m (£1.4m; $2m).

The nine-metre long specimen is thought to be a new species belonging to the theropod family - a group of dinosaurs that includes the Tyrannosaurus rex.

It was discovered on private land in the US state of Wyoming in 2013.

The auction had earlier been criticised by paleontologists who said science was losing out on valuable fossils.

However, French auction house Aguttes, which held the sale on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower on Monday, said that the dinosaur specimen was "destined for scientific study".

Rather a lot - but then, I suppose it is very old and irreplaceable.

I just hope the new owner is responsible, and doesn't go all Jurassic Park on us :O !
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

JHG
Rank 9

June 5th, 2018, 1:30 am #2

What kind of theropod? Not all of them are carnivorous just as not all carnivorans are carnivorous. Ask the panda!

Shiny Star
Rank 8

June 5th, 2018, 2:09 am #3

It doesn't surprise me that it sold for a lot honestly. It's so cool that people are still finding dinosaur remains within the last 10 years.
Last edited by Shiny Star on June 5th, 2018, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crooked Crow
Rank 5

June 5th, 2018, 3:09 am #4

I do support free market transactions, and this -was- private property.

But... this is not an ordinary, or even a rare item. It's priceless. It should have been donated, or purchased from a museum. Hope it is well taken care of, and considering the individual paid a total sum of $2m dollars, it probably will be.

But still.

:tch-crooked-crow:
The only bridge I've ever burned along this legacy I dance, is the one that linked the cities of prosperity and chance.

[12:41 AM] Nilvafefe: its ck vluin of hjottttor

Pyrite
Rank 9

June 11th, 2018, 9:58 am #5

Imagine having one of those lying around at home! It'd be quite a statement piece, that's for sure.
CJ wrote:Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them.
So there's that.