Ask the Brits about Britain

CJ
Rank 12

February 3rd, 2017, 12:29 pm #1

:uk: ASK THE BRITS ABOUT BRITAIN :uk:
I thought I'd try something a little different here :P .

Many of our members, including myself, come from the United Kingdom. However, many come from overseas - and some will know more about Britain than others. To these people, encyclopedias like Wikipedia can be of some use: they can tell you how our political system is structured and how it functions; the history of how the UK came to exist in its current form; the demographic breakdown of the country; and our most popular TV shows, food and drink. What these encyclopedias can't tell you, however, is what these things are like to live with every day. That's what this topic is for.

The format is simple: members from outside Britain ask questions, and members from inside Britain answer them :P . Just a couple of notes, before we begin:
  • Any question, whether political or not, is welcome, as long as it's on-topic (i.e. actually about Britain), and asked in good faith.
  • This topic takes a questions-and-answers format, not a discussion format. You're welcome to ask as many follow-up questions to your answers as you wish; however, any discussions or debates about anything that comes up in here should take place in a separate topic.
  • Not all Brits have the same experience of Britain: someone living in rural Wales will have a very different perspective from someone living in an affluent suburb of London. Therefore, if one Brit answers a question, and then another Brit feels that they have something else to add to that answer, then they're more than welcome to do so.
  • There's no reason why we can't have variations on this format. For example, if one of our Canadian members wants to start "Ask the Canadians about Canada", or one of our Australian members wants to start "Ask the Aussies about Australia", then go right ahead :) !

So, any questions :P ?
Last edited by CJ on February 3rd, 2017, 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

HeroineDark
Rank 8

February 4th, 2017, 12:24 am #2

One of the biggest stereotypes I see in media about Britain is everything after work is about the pub and having a drink. Like literally everyone goes down to a pub. How true/accurate is this stereotype?
Stuff....things....because reasons.... and I blame Eric

:gold-medal: - Member of the Year 2016

"And then did Tyolus say to the people of the low plains, seek not the wickedness amongst your neighbors lest it find purchase in your own house."

The Coliseum....is HERE!

Pyrite
Rank 9

February 4th, 2017, 12:27 am #3

From what I've experienced in the working world in the UK, trips to the pub are rather commonplace. I wouldn't say it always happens after work, but it's definitely quite prevalent.
CJ wrote:Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them.
So there's that.

Gaomon274
Rank 8

February 4th, 2017, 12:30 am #4

Are motorsports (or at least motorsports fans) common in Britain?

What's the most popular motorsports series?

CJ
Rank 12

February 4th, 2017, 12:43 am #5

Pyrite wrote:From what I've experienced in the working world in the UK, trips to the pub are rather commonplace. I wouldn't say it always happens after work, but it's definitely quite prevalent.
It's probably not as common as it once was, now that it has to compete with things like TV and the internet (and lots of local pubs have been closing down lately). However, it is still pretty common, even if it's not something I regularly do myself :P .

(Also, a cynic might claim that Wetherspoons - one of our major pub chains - is popular enough to have swung the Brexit referendum, given that their pubs were full of 'Vote Leave' beer mats in the days leading up to the vote :P !)
Gaomon274 wrote:Are motorsports (or at least motorsports fans) common in Britain?

What's the most popular motorsports series?
Formula One is easily the most popular motorsport over here. Its popularity is cyclical, depending on how well the British drivers are doing, but during a time when a British driver is doing well (like now, with Lewis Hamilton being a championship contender), it's the second most popular sport behind football/soccer. I'm not sure how long that will last, though, as Formula One is gradually moving over to pay TV (like pretty much everything else these days :( ).

There was a time (during the 1980s) when the World Rally Championship was a serious competitor against Formula One in terms of popularity in the United Kingdom. However, that faded with the demise of the spectacular (but dangerous) Group B cars after two fatal accidents in the 1986 season.

Other series, whether local (like the British Touring Car Championship) or international (like the World Endurance Championship) do have their followings here; however, these are fringe sports which attract little to no media attention. MotoGP is sort of mainstream-ish (slightly too popular to be a "fringe sport"), but it's still some way behind F1.
Last edited by CJ on February 4th, 2017, 12:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wheatley says: wrote:Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor consulta el manual.

Gaomon274
Rank 8

February 9th, 2017, 11:31 am #6

Are the Olympics & Paralympics popular in Britain?

CJ
Rank 12

February 9th, 2017, 5:26 pm #7

The Summer Olympics certainly are - although part of that might just be because our athletes have been doing very well recently. Last year in the medals table, Great Britain actually finished 2nd - ahead of China - although we were still way behind the USA :P . The Winter Olympics aren't quite as popular (we usually only get one or two gold medals at most), but a fair number of people do still watch them.

As for Paralympics, the Summer games have become increasingly popular in recent years, but the Winter Paralympics don't seem to get much attention.

CJ
Rank 12

March 2nd, 2017, 5:44 pm #8

I've decided to move this thread (and the similar "Ask the Americans about the USA" thread) into the "Ask Me" threads forum.

All of the questions we've had so far have been non-political, so they're not really at home in the "Current Events and Politics" forum, and they serve the same "Getting to know each other better" purpose as the "Ask Me" threads anyway.

JHG
Rank 9

June 5th, 2017, 6:09 am #9

What is 'Bolt, speak' translated into Elizabethan English?

CJ
Rank 12

June 5th, 2017, 7:03 am #10

Well, the second-person singular form of 'to speak' back then would have been "speakest" or "speak'st"; however, the imperative form was just left uninflected by Shakespeare's time (so, in this context, it would just be "speak"). And we should probably throw in a couple of redundant adjectives/adverbs in order to make it sound more flowery.

So, it would come out as something like: "Accursed Bolt, humbly speak!"