- Savas Esici (1971) Ölümsüzler - AS Video Center

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 2nd, 2015, 1:39 pm #12

Canisius wrote:Tom, that's an interesting topic! Distinguishing those old Kalkavan issues is tricky. The tapes themselves are helpful in this regard as well. Does the first generation with white sleeves always come with imprinted tapes? I'm asking because the second generation issues with silver sleeves sometimes come with imprinted tapes (which are considered first generation tapes) but there are also later generation tapes with stickers. A knowledgable Turkish collector once told me about at least 3 different generations of Kalkavan tapes. It is quite difficult to see through.
to be very honest, I believe kalkavan used many different tapes, with many different labels.
I can imagen .... but now I am only speculating .... a company like kalkavan was working with a small budget and that they would use what they could get hold on.
I think I saw more different tape labels on kalkavan tapes, than I saw tapes with the same labels.
there are labels with a black and white image, labels with a color image, white labels with texst, all kind of colored labels with texst etc
than you have different kind of tapes with the different kind of above mentioned labels .... so there are so many different variations ...that I don't believe there is a structure to recognise in the "generations" of kalkavan tapes. I divide in first (white sleeves9 and second generation 8silver sleeves)

Canisius
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Canisius
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 2nd, 2015, 6:15 pm #13

shootgringoshoot wrote:
Canisius wrote:Tom, that's an interesting topic! Distinguishing those old Kalkavan issues is tricky. The tapes themselves are helpful in this regard as well. Does the first generation with white sleeves always come with imprinted tapes? I'm asking because the second generation issues with silver sleeves sometimes come with imprinted tapes (which are considered first generation tapes) but there are also later generation tapes with stickers. A knowledgable Turkish collector once told me about at least 3 different generations of Kalkavan tapes. It is quite difficult to see through.
to be very honest, I believe kalkavan used many different tapes, with many different labels.
I can imagen .... but now I am only speculating .... a company like kalkavan was working with a small budget and that they would use what they could get hold on.
I think I saw more different tape labels on kalkavan tapes, than I saw tapes with the same labels.
there are labels with a black and white image, labels with a color image, white labels with texst, all kind of colored labels with texst etc
than you have different kind of tapes with the different kind of above mentioned labels .... so there are so many different variations ...that I don't believe there is a structure to recognise in the "generations" of kalkavan tapes. I divide in first (white sleeves9 and second generation 8silver sleeves)
Tom, there is a basic structure, at least for the legit early to mid eighties tapes. I once had a conversation with a knowledgable Turkish collector who told me some hard facts about Kalkavan releases. The old tapes (early to mid eighties) are made of heavier plastic (quite obvious but important to consider because you come across old sleeves with newer lightweight tapes quite often) and were made in either U.S.A. or Japan (for the most part). They are either imprinted (title of the movie and Kalkavan logo) or feature smaller white stickers with black print (always check the font as there are fakes as well) on them. These are the only legit old releases and luckily pretty easy to recognize.

As a rule of thumb: never spend big money on apparently old Kalkavan tapes that don't meet the aforementioned criteria.
It gets more confusing when it comes to the late eighties releases though. It is safe to say that tapes with stickers featuring coloured cover art can be legit releases but they are merely late eighties releases (second or third generation and therefore should not be pricey!). Kalkavan often used Emka tapes for releases of that period. Emka tapes were made of lightweight plastic and always seem to feature stickers with cover art on them. It is funny because some Turkish sellers don't know how to differentiate the tape stocks and the stickers themselves. Some others know the differences but insist that Emka tapes are legit early eighties releases which they are not. In any case, do not spend too much money on them!:)

Now there are also tapes with black and white cover art stickers floating around. This raises the question: did Kalkavan deliver the tapes to the video shops that way or did the shop owners themselves make copies of the tapes/(coloured) stickers and modify them? In some cases, fake/modified releases seem to be obvious. Let's say that you receive a tape whose sticker is secured with sellotape. It definitely looks questionable. But what if the video shop owner just wanted to protect the sticker from outside influences?
For all those reasons, it is really tricky to compile hard facts about the countless late eighties releases.

In my opinion, a legit early or mid eighties release should always have the white sleeve but also the matching old authentic tape inside the (old authentic) box. Unfortunately, interesting titles that meet the nerdy collector's criteria are hard to find.

"These Parker House Rolls-they belong to my Ma!"

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 9th, 2015, 11:46 am #14

These are the turkish westerns that I have in my collection. a few of them are not "real" westerns, more adventure movies .......but the are spaghetti anuff to include them in the collection.

if you click on the turkish movie titles that ar colored red, you can read the review I wrote for the movie.

Ahmet Sert (1963) Intikam hirsi
- Ahmet Sert (1972) Belalilar sehri
Aram Gülyüz (1974) Atini seven kovboyi
Bilge Olgaç (1971) Üçünüze Bir Mezar
- Çetin Inanç (1970) Çeko
Çetin Inanç (1973)Daglarin oglu = Dag kurdu
Guido Zurli (1973) küçük kovboy
- Ilhan Encin (1972) Batida olum var = Batida kan Vardi
- Irfan Atasoy (1970) Yedi belalilar
- Kartal Tibet (1979) Umudumuz Saban
- Kemal Kan (1970) Ölüm fermani
Mehmet Aslan (1970) Zagor
- Mehmet Aslan (1971) Her kursuna 1 ölü
Mehmet Aslan (1971) Sevimli haydut
Mehmet Dinler (1971) Cilali ibo Teksas Fatihi
Nazmi Ozer (1971) Cesur
Nazmi Ozer (1972) Kanun adami
- Nisan Hançer (1971) Zagor Kara Bela
- Nisan Hançer (1971) Zagor Karakorsan'in hazineleri
Nuri Akinci (1971) Hey Amigo! 5 mezar - Hey Amigo Sartana
- Nuri Akıncı (1962) Beş Hikaye
- Nuri Ergün (1967) Çifte tabancali damat
Remzi Jöntürk (1967) Cango. olum suvarisi
- Savas Esici (1972) Ölümsüzler
T. Fikret Uçak (1971) Azrailin Beş Atlısı
- T. Fikret Uçak (1971) Çilginlar ordusu
- T. Fikret Uçak (1971) Vahsetin esirleri
Taner Oguz (1972) Tom Braks - Seytan Tirnagi
- Tunç Basaran (1971) Korkusuz Kaptan Swing
- Tunç Basaran (1971) Vur
Tunç Basaran (1972) Sehvet
- Türker Inanoglu (1967) Kader bagi
Yavuz Yalinkiliç (1971) Proffessyoneller
Yücel Uçanoglu (1970) Krallarin öfkesi
- Yilmaz Atadeniz (1966) Kovboy Ali
- Yilmaz Atadeniz (1968) Maskeli besler
- Yilmaz Atadeniz (1968) Maskeli beslerin dönüsü
- Yilmaz Atadeniz (1969) Zorro kamcili süvari
Yilmaz Atadeniz (1972) Ölmek var dönmek yok
- Yücel Uçanoglu (1970) Bir çuval para
- Zafer Davutoglu (1967) Kanunsuz kahraman - Ringo Kid

Im still after some titles.....so if anymbody can help me ...... would be great!
or perhaps there are titles you know of that are not on my list?

these Im still looking for:
Ahmet Ündag (1972) Ve Güneşe Kan Siçradi
Aram Gülyüz (1970) Ret Kid
Ferdi Merter (1971) Ipini boynunda bil
Kayahan Arikan (1969) Maskeli Süvari Tom Miks'e karsi
Kayahan Arikan (1971) Simdi silah konusacak - Pekos Bill
Melih Gülgen (1971) Zapata
Melih Gülgen (1972) Çapulcular
Melih Gülgen (1972) Haydut Avcisi
Natuk Baytan (1972) Kan ve Kin
Nuri Akinci (1972) Son düello
Rahmi Kafadar (1972) Üç Mahkum