The End Of An Era?

horrorC.K.
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
horrorC.K.
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

June 27th, 2015, 8:41 am #1

When I first entered on Cinehound it was a fun forum. Everything was about getting those elusive tapes and getting the Oooohw and Aaaawh's from everybody and after that the tsunami of PM's if you wanted to TRADE them.
Supergreat times!
I bought 1000's of tapes to have trade material. Sometimes even 4 of the same. Made some nice deals!
I was Always on Cinehound. It was the first page I visited and the last every day.
Now I won't say I am the diehard member because there were those long before me but I did know the oldstyle collecting.
But slowly the trading made place for money. And some people were willing to pay good for certain tapes and so it appears money made it appearance and some people made 1000's maybe even 10.000's euro's out of it.
Bought some tapes myself and saw it went on and on.
The forum(s) became a Marketplace......it scared off quite some people, especially those old time members. I had weeks off myself too because of being disgusted by all of it. But...as I was stuck with too much tapes I had no choice and with me more, to sell off some tapes. On ebay for 1 euro starting bid I got off a lot of tapes...people asked me if I stopped collecting. No, was my answer: I have too much tapes and noone wants to trade anymore!
Me too sold some tapes for nice prices and it appealed to more people to do the same and the hobby of collecting became more the hobby of selling and getting good prices. Noone talked about movies anymore only about prices and how much it is worth......it was the general demise of tapecollecting.
New collector's who never even saw a rental store from the inside saw all of this and jumped on the wagon to profit from it all and facebook was the key to that happiness because you could be quite anonymous on there and pretend to be collector. The worldwide appearance and the fact that everybody is always online makes it even easier to sell off tapes so even the last activity on the forums, which was the Marketplace, shifted to facebook.
The forums have died. All of them. Films, music, comics....everything! Money took over and facebook as well!

In the shoutbox Miltos already said he will end the forum and it makes me feeling sad that yet another piece of history will vanish into nothingness. It makes me even feel worse that I saw it coming with the introduction of big money into the game and that I participated in that myself too, although I never got rich of that.

To be honest I don't want to see this forum gone even it has not much activity anymore. Let's hear it if you are with me.

Being on here and buy and sell some tapes would be nice again and if Miltos puts on a 'donate button' he will at least get back some money so he won't have to worry about that. At least I would like that to do.

Nocturna
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Nocturna
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

June 27th, 2015, 1:52 pm #2

Still checking Cinehound every day and I even bought me a New scanner last week to add some scans again .

I hope Miltos will re consider and we can blew new life in to the forum .

I will donate for it !

gialloboy
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
gialloboy
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

June 27th, 2015, 8:17 pm #3

What did I miss? Cinehound cannot die! If its money, I am very happy to help the forum to stay afloat... If only for the memory of Bill!

OCP
Star Member
Star Member
OCP
Star Member
Star Member

June 27th, 2015, 10:59 pm #4

I've only been a member here since two years. So most of the collectors you referred to were already gone when I joined. It's not that I started collecting two years ago...I just rediscovered my love for tapes again. Problem was that I did not have these special tapes to trade...or had a lot of doubles in my collection. So buying them was often the only way to expand my collection (and still is). In that light it makes kind of sence that I spent a lot of time in the sales thread. On the other side I enjoy reading about background stories, rare new finds and lists by label, genre, etc.
Facebook does not provide in those categories at all...I hope Cinehound will still be around for a while!

I AM MEMBER 4322!!!

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

June 28th, 2015, 9:13 am #5

I understand why Miltos wants too shut the forum down ...... but why wait so long .... he could have shut the forum down 3 years ago, so why now?
shut down the sale part ..... can remember this was allready a toppic some years ago.

I love the cinehound forum, and I think it should stay online, even I am not using posting on ehre anymore. I do still use the forum the read old toppics, or to use it as reference.
it would be a pitty to delete the forum, because it is a document with loads of information about weird movies old formats etc. wouldn't know an other place were I can find this information.

what I really find sad, and I can read I am not the only one. that the forum is (raped) used by some members as their own personal sale platform. we all sold something on here, but some really abused the forum.

I have been thinking and starting (never ending)a few times on a website were I can display my video/movie collection. organising my tapes on country and label. perhaps it is a nice Idea to do this on cinehound. I am sure their are many more members here that would like to display their complete collection. gert-jan allready mentioned he just bought a new scanner.

the forum should stay, sale part should go.

lets start the use the forum as a video archive :up: :tapelove:

(I even changed my signature for this post )

OCP
Star Member
Star Member
OCP
Star Member
Star Member

June 28th, 2015, 11:20 am #6

shootgringoshoot wrote:shut down the sale part ..... can remember this was allready a toppic some years ago.

...that the forum is (raped) used by some members as their own personal sale platform. we all sold something on here, but some really abused the forum.

the forum should stay, sale part should go.

Why are you (and some others) so offended by the sales topic? First of all it's easier to communicate. Second of all you know who the other contenders are. And then it's also used for trading....and sometimes there are rarities up for sale. Isn't it part of collecting strange and weird movies?
Maybe Cinehound was used in a different matter years ago...if you want it to be like that again, closing the sales topic won't change all that. Well...maybe it transformes into this great library it already is.

Anyway...in the end it's up to Miltos.

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

June 28th, 2015, 11:36 am #7

OCP wrote:Why are you (and some others) so offended by the sales topic?
because the sales topic is by many used as their own ebay platform.
many members only use the sales topic and dont use any of the other topics on the forum.

if you close the sale part, many members (who only use the sale part) wont use the forum anymore.
less people will stay, but atleast the post that will be posted are about movies etc

you can still trade tapes if you want ..... pm people and go through their posts to see what kind of movies they have in their collection.

OCP
Star Member
Star Member
OCP
Star Member
Star Member

June 28th, 2015, 11:47 am #8

Well...then you chase some members away.
Does that mean everybody will start talking about movies again? Are they all silent because of the sales topic?

I do get the point Cees has made...regarding the trading business changing into sales.
But that sounded like the natural order of things. I'm more curious as of why all these early members just stopped using the forum.

(and I also trade via pm...although that takes a lot more time)

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

June 28th, 2015, 11:58 am #9

yes you are right

OCP
Star Member
Star Member
OCP
Star Member
Star Member

June 28th, 2015, 12:07 pm #10

shootgringoshoot wrote:yes you are right
That was not my reason for debating this sales-topic business

I rather would like to think about how to make the forum more appealing to users...instead of excluding topics.
But then I need to know what happened to all the former user.