--------------------
1200 numbered copies
Turkish audio with English & Greek subs
Dolby Digital 2.0
Interview with Kunt Tulgar
Photogallery
Biographies
Filmographies
Lost Check Sequence (a never-before-seen lost check sequence that is a mute 40 seconds camera test before the actual shooting. We can see the director Orhan Atadeniz, Kunt Tulgar playing Tarzan as a child etc)
Trailers

I don't know if you remember my review for TARZAN THE MIGHTY MAN (1974):
http://z9.invisionfree.com/THE_CINEHOUN ... wtopic=231
I mentioned there that that cheap cult flick had obviously stolen footage from other films. Bill from Onar Films responded that the film had stolen footage from this one here, TARZAN INSTANBUL'DA, a b/w classic and of course a much-much better film!

But footage is not the only common thing between the two films: Kunt Tulgar, a producer/director/actor of many fantasy & action gems, the man behind TARZAN THE MIGHTY MAN, he's in fact the son of the producer of the first Tarzan and he also has a small part in it, he plays the little child lost in the jungle after his parents' kill by the primitives (a powerful scene) and later becomes...Tarzan, the king of the jungle!

TARZAN ISTANBUL'DA is the first movie shot outside of Turkey. It's a Tarzan classic similar to the best ones of the genre. The fans of Tarzan will love this movie! The others will have a cool time watching it!

The movie has a rather common plot: A Turk journalist is in a safari in Africa. He finds there two skeletons and a letter for an old guy in Istanbul. After his return to his country he visits the man to give him the letter. That letter explains how a couple killed in the jungle by primitives some years ago. Their child escaped in the jungle carrying his father's knife...In fact his father was the old man's brother. Also the letter has a map mentioning a hidden treasure into the mountain of death.

A mission has been organized by the two men - the journalist and the dead man's brother- along with three pilots: A woman, a young man who likes her and a really funny guy who gives a funny note to the whole movie! He claims he's a fearless hunter but in fact he fears even his shadow. Some of his words: "Why Zebras have this colour? They must be prisoners of the animals"!

They travel by plane, by boat and then by foot into the jungle...As always (!) in jungle/treasure films the bad guys are behind them waiting for the right time to steal the treasure. But our company has to face several other enemies: lions, tigers, hungry crocodiles, primitives who hang their prisoners from the trees offering them to the crocodiles (very strong scenes for a Tarzan film if you ask me!) etc...

But of course the king of the jungle is always there to rescue the young sexy lady from the crocodiles and the "human beasts"!

The end hides a surprise - one of the main good characters gets killed, this is something we cannot find in a US Tarzan, that's for sure!

The film has very good direction (of course some animal scenes are taken by documentaries...), nice acting, a cool orchestral soundtrack, a lot of really funny moments - but also some strong fights and a few horror elements too!

There are some powerful scenes, like the one with the kill of the couple by the primitives in front of their son, the hanging of the primitives' prisoners over the river full of crocodiles, a terrible storm into the jungle (eerie scene!), the fight between the company and the primitives etc...

Onar Films made another miracle with this release. Bill should be proud with the extras in this DVD: "Lost Check Sequence" is a very nice find, there are also the usual expectations - trailers, photogallery, filmographies, biographies- but the BEST part is the Kunt Tulgar interview, produced by Bill and taken by Metin Demirhan (R.I.P.)

Kunt Tulgar looks a very nice guy and he's a man very proud about his work into the Turkish Fantasy Film Industry! Oh God, how much I like men like this one here, who talks not with love but with PASSION about those "glory" years! We learn from him too many interesting details about many of those fantasy flicks, (as...how they made Superman to fly!), about his cooperation and friendship with other directors, his studios, his ideas about turkish fantastic films (of course he loves them!), about how he decided to shot the 1974 Tarzan etc etc

Bill leaves his trace in history even with this interview alone...What the f@ck, this is not another Umberto Lenzi interview, wake up, I don't beleive you could find a Kunt Tulgar interview elsewhere! I didn't beleive my eyes & ears watching it...THANX, BILL !!

The sleeve is excellent too and even the authoring is amazing with Tarzan scream over a few scenes of the film colourized!

You can order the DVD straight from Onar Films. Credit Cards payment is safe & easy by Paypal:
http://www.onarfilms.com

ONARFILMS
Advanced Member
ONARFILMS
Advanced Member

November 11th, 2007, 8:15 pm #2

Thanks a lot Miltos!
I already deposited your money into your account.
500 euro, correct?

cinehound
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
cinehound
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 11th, 2007, 8:58 pm #3

Not really! I did my best, you know. I'm even going to watch the film tomorrow

Now, seriously, I liked the film a lot. I don't know if someone hates Tarzan films, I used to watch them a lot as a kid, so I still like them...and this is a VERY GOOD Tarzan film indeed!

As for that interview, what else can I say? SUPERB !!

Jared
Star Member
Star Member
Jared
Star Member
Star Member

November 12th, 2007, 11:51 pm #4

I have a review up as well over at Worldweird. I wasn't as keen on the movie as you are Miltos, but it is a totally fab DVD nonetheless. Ours seem to be the only two reviews out their for this release so far. Anyone else seen any others?

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 13th, 2007, 1:13 pm #5

cinehound wrote:Now, seriously, I liked the film a lot. I don't know if someone hates Tarzan films, I used to watch them a lot as a kid, so I still like them...and this is a VERY GOOD Tarzan film indeed!
If you check the old Psychotronic Video books you'll see that Michael Weldon regards any old Tarzan flick as psychotronic and... well, so do I. I like the good ones and I like the bad ones. I was quite entertained by TARZAN AND THE TRAPPERS even though it's in reality three tv pilots that were spliced together (according to PV).

Jared wrote:Ours seem to be the only two reviews out their for this release so far. Anyone else seen any others?
If nothing else I'll review it at some stage but of course that won't be online but old-school style (i.e. in one of my wee fanzines, whenever I get around to publishing another ish. Not that it'll benefit Bill in any way, unfortunately).

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Aymanoglu
Aymanoglu

November 14th, 2007, 12:00 pm #6

Don't underestimate Jack's humble fanzines - don't worry about the films themselves, read it for his reviews!

I especially like the one where you buuuurpp, apologize drunkenly and complain about life, and behold, the review finishes without any relevance to the film!

STAY SICK my friend

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 14th, 2007, 12:18 pm #7

Ahh, Ayman, in this my time of extreme pain (I have a ruptured muscle in my thigh and it's killing me) it's nice to hear such encouraging words :lol:
I'll try and write more reviews without any mentioning of the film itself.

And I watched TARZAN ISTANBUL'DA yesterday and I was pretty entertained. The interview was great too (just sad to see Metin now). Another cool release from Onar!

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 16th, 2007, 8:06 pm #8

Aymanoglu wrote:Don't underestimate Jack's humble fanzines - don't worry about the films themselves, read it for his reviews! 

I especially like the one where you buuuurpp, apologize drunkenly and complain about life, and behold, the review finishes without any relevance to the film!

STAY SICK  my friend
Alright, completely out of context... just for fun... I thought I'd pull out that ol'e review Ayman mentioned (originally printed in 'Banned in Britain' #2):

The Corpse Grinders
DIR: Ted V. Mikels (USA, 1971)
Buuurppp!!!! Yes, sorry, I know, not very polite but I've had too much to dirnk and I've just watched The Corpse Girnders... and those damn keys on the keyboard keep moving I'm not quite sure why or what's the matter with em. well, anyway, fuck em I say, and let's get onti the review of theiws here flick so I can go to fucken bed, I have to get up eraatly! fuck that's early!! for fucks sake you stpid typerwriter!!!! Well I suppose you can always recnise an old fart, he calls his computer a typewriter!! oh no where did my life go, what haeve i done!!! is this really all it's come to, writing for underground magaszines and i should have ahdhad a life, oh no...!!!! anyway, great movei, see itr if you get a hcance!!

:lol: :rolleyes:

Aymanoglu
Aymanoglu

November 17th, 2007, 5:39 am #9

:lol: :lol: :lol:
When's another STAY SICK or BANNED IN BRITAIN due out?

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 17th, 2007, 10:58 am #10

Aymanoglu wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When's another STAY SICK or BANNED IN BRITAIN due out?
Uhh, I'm working on both but knowing my own work ethics... it may take a while <_<

But you'll be the first to know.

Jack