Moderators: cinehound, Jack J

REVIEW OF "SILIP 1985" W/ PICTURES

Deleted User
Deleted User

November 12th, 2007, 8:32 pm #1

**SOME POSSIBLE SPOLIERS**
Leave it to Mondo Macabro for finding some of the most obscure yet most interesting of crazy retro releases from Asian and Indonesia. Silip is a notorious film among some cult collectors and was considered quite rare for a long time. (so many films now are) In the 1980s the Philippines was under Martial Law and their government began advocating the production of sexy movies known as "bold" films. Many of the filipino films from this period are just off the hook, crazy and extreme. What I find interesting is the same exact thing was also occuring in Brazil and at the same time! Their goverment also advocated the production of erotic movies and many of their genre movies were also very extreme.

This movie stars former Miss Philippines, Maria Isabel Lopez and Sarsi Emmanuelle.

Beautifully shot with many day for night scenes Silip takes place in a remote desert region where a community of poor farmers and their families live. Nearly every scene in this film contains some sort of shocking content. We witness the day to day life of the community that enviels numerous sexual relationships, adultrey, sin, rape, adolescent sexuality, hate, intolerance and violence. Each shock in it's own way trying to take a swipe at strict religious oppression.

This is an erotic film. There is so much sex and nudity that these elements dominate any other conotation the film might try to deilver. Maria Isabel Lopez and Sarsi Emmanuelle are completely nude for the last 30 minutes of the film and end up getting graphically gang raped.

THE DVD:

The image quality is very good. There are some very minor flaws here and there. The special features contain two interesting interviews, one with the director Elwood Perez who still looks very young. He is being interviewed in a shopping mall. There is also an interview with Maria Isabel Lopez who speaks about her career and erotic filipino movies of that time.

__

ddiaryofacannibal.jpg
ddiaryofacannibal.jpg

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 12th, 2007, 9:18 pm #2

I can't wait for this. Hey, btw, this isn't even out yet, where did you get yr copy?

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Deleted User
Deleted User

November 12th, 2007, 9:25 pm #3

I got it direct from Mondo/Fantoma promotions. I am friends with those dudes and the dudes at Synapse. All great people by the way.

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 12th, 2007, 9:47 pm #4

brains99 wrote: I got it direct from Mondo/Fantoma promotions. I am friends with those dudes and the dudes at Synapse. All great people by the way.
You lucky fella! You wanna swap friends, you can have mine; Diabolik and Mads, Ha ha (no, D & M, don't walk away, it was a joke... come on... :lol: )

jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines

Deleted User
Deleted User

November 12th, 2007, 9:56 pm #5

Ha ha. Also, in-case you didn't know. Mondo will also be releasing Snake Sisters, which is another notorious filipino sexploiter from this era. Can't wait for that one as well. I just pray everyday these small labels won't go under. It's such a struggle for them to keep a float. If all the small DVD labels die, I may as well get a gun and kill myself.

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 12th, 2007, 10:09 pm #6

brains99 wrote: Ha ha. Also, in-case you didn't know. Mondo will also be releasing Snake Sisters, which is another notorious filipino sexploiter from this era. Can't wait for that one as well. I just pray everyday these small labels won't go under. It's such a struggle for them to keep a float. If all the small DVD labels die, I may as well get a gun and kill myself.
In that case buy a bullet for me as well.

Snake Sisters; I knew about that one, thanks, if you check old posts you'll see we've been talking about it before... and what we've also been talking about... and what you might be able to tell us if you're in the know: is MM going to release QUEEN OF BLACK MAGIC and JAKA SEMBUNG aka The Warrior as they announced earlier this year??? They don't mention these titles in their newsletter anymore. :huh:

Jack

Deleted User
Deleted User

November 12th, 2007, 10:12 pm #7

Right on, yeah I'm new here. Ofcourse, I should have suspected all you guys would know this stuff.

Anyway, unfortunately I don't know myself yet if they are planning those release or not. I can find out though. I'll get back on this.

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 12th, 2007, 10:17 pm #8

brains99 wrote:I can find out though.  I'll get back on this.
Brilliant! Cheers mate.

btw, I searched Amazon for Silip and this alternative release came up. Does anybody know where this stems from???

http://www.amazon.com/Silip-Zubiri-Fran ... 219&sr=1-3

Jack

Deleted User
Deleted User

November 12th, 2007, 10:29 pm #9

***I searched Amazon for Silip and this alternative release came up...***

I have that version and all I can say is, DO NOT buy it. This is one of the very first sexy movies made in the Philippines after their major theater network banned erotic movies a few years back. What a shame that in this day and age the Philippines decides they should ban sexy movies. Give me a break.

Anyway, this remake is truly awful and boring. It's basically a PG-13 rated movie because all theaterical releases in the Philippines must now be PG-13.

Diana Zubiri and Francine Prieto are hot! But again it's a very lame movie.

I don't know if you were just curious about it because it's a remake of Silip or if you want some good contemporary erotic movies from the Philippines. If you want some good reccomendations for new Filipino erotic movies made just BEFORE the ban went into effect then check these out.

http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Drive-Taylor- ... 233&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Liberated-2-Phili ... 298&sr=1-3

http://regalfilms.com/designItems.php?p ... ch=rated-r

Live Show is really great. Very erotic stuff with Ana Capri.

However, the first two still pale in comparison to the 1980s bold films.

M

Deleted User
Deleted User

November 12th, 2007, 10:37 pm #10

Just heard some news from Mondo.

Indeed both QUEEN OF BLACK MAGIC and JAKA SEMBUNG are forthcoming. Queen of Black Magic is slated for FEB/MARCH release. No date yet for the other though.

M