Moderators: cinehound, Jack J

"Onar Films" lives again

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

3:01 PM - Jun 30, 2015 #1

If you check FB, you'll notice mr. Levent Cakir and Ali Murat Guven and Kunt Tulgar's plans to start a new line of DVD releases starting from next October 2015....they have a huge catalogue of titles meant to be reissued every 2 months in a limited run (500 copies each).

The new company name is Aztek Production. hey gave a list of 15 titles to be released at the moment.

The good think is that Leven Cakir (the main actor of the Zagor turkish films) is really active in this project....after a few years of troubles, he's back in action with full energy and renewed enthusiasm...

I'll be in Istanbul for a couple of months from next October....if you need more information, I will be on the spot overthere soon!

check the link here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1461349 ... p_activity

okerlo
okerlo

5:00 PM - Jun 30, 2015 #2

Enlighten a newcomer, what makes Onar Films so special?

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

11:08 PM - Jun 30, 2015 #3

well, it was the only label who put out some gems of old turkish cinema on DVD: the turkish Superman, a few Killing movies, the turkish Death Wish, a bunch of thriller and horror....until the sudden death of its founder, Bill Barounis.
More movies were planned but everything was put on hold until now, when the original partners of Bill, Ali Murat Guven and Kunt Tulgar (with the addition of Levent Cakir) decided to start again from where they stopped.

Three years ago I met them and they were really intended to keep on the path but they hadn't enough resources to restore the movies....we were talking but then I kept on travelling so I lost contacts with them. Now it's already 2-3 months that the news is spreaded and through Facebook there are already plans and work in progress

If you like old turkish cinema - wester, superheroes, masked heroes, crime, action, rip-off of famous movies, then you should give a try and discover the craziness of the good ol' turkish cinema

okerlo
okerlo

7:39 AM - Jul 01, 2015 #4

Oh, I see. Thank you for your fast answer.
It is good to see that people in Turkey aren't hiding from this part of their culture and try to bring back some of the movies on a modern medium.

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

6:39 PM - Jul 01, 2015 #5

do you have any information on what movies they have planned too release?
and do they also plan to include optional english subtitles tp their disks .... would be a real shame if they wouldn't include subs ....

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

7:53 PM - Jul 01, 2015 #6

they will all include subtitles as well as much material as it could be found: trailer, reproduction of original posters, interviews, backstages, according to what can be found and whose actors/directors are still available for new interviews.

Subtitles will be properly done and also in the air there is a new DVD edition of the 2 Zagor movies with improved subtitles, rmastered negatives and additional bonus material.

The list is still a work in progress: Levent Cakir - who's really active on the "Our Man in Sitanbul" FB page provided a long choice of titles that are already in the hands of Aztek Production (former Onar Films), some already remastered, some already belonging to the back catalogue of Onar (which couldn't be released due to the loss of Bill) and other new founds which need some restoration.

There is already a long list of titles submitted to the fans: those who will get more votes will be released but - as I hope - if the project has success, I don't doubt they will release them all.

There are specific lines: Adventure, Horror, Sci-Fi, so I guess they will try to fill all these series with many titles.

The FB page is still active since a couple of months and there are news and updated everyday, thanks to the revamped Levent Cakir who's putting an incredible energy in this project

Unfortunately my PC is old and almost dead....scrolling back to the previous news became almost impossible (script errors, slowing downs, continuous blocking when I open FB) so I checked only a few news backwards....I am sure Levent Cakir submitted to the fans other titles to be eventually released.

Among the few titles I checked (actually I am following this page since it's beginning but I never wrote down the full list of titles submitted to the fan's poll), there are:

-Ringo vs la Gestapo
-Karpuzcu (turkish remake of Mr. Majestyk)
-Flying saucers UFO in Istanbul
-The revenge of Turkish Bruce Lee/Ejderin intikami
-Badi
-Turkish Star Trek
-Behcet commando
-Tough guys/4 hergele/4 for all (with Richard Harrison and Gordon Mitchell, co-directed by Giulio Giuseppe Negri, maybe this is a supposed turkish version/edit)
-Yilmayan Seytan/The deathless Devil
-Gizli kuvvet/The hidden force
-Ceko
-Seytan/The turkish exorcist
-Kizilmaske/The Phantom
-Maskeli Ucler/The masked three (with Levent Cakir)
-Dracula in Istanbul
-Bedmen yarasa adam (with Levent Cakir)
-Killing vs Mandrake

Now, as far as I remember, when I met Kunt Tulgar and Ali Murat Guven 3 years ago, they told me that Bill's widow still has a 12-15 copyrights in her hand and all the title announced as "trailer" in the previous Onar DVD releases are still available for an actual DVD edition.
Now, more titles are added to the list and some of them got huge response by the fans on FB...

For sure Killing vs Mandrake and Ringo vs Gestapo are not in pristine condition but others are. In any case - as we can read on FB - they will try to offer each title in the best condition possible and with the most bonus material that could be gathered.

But the best thing is to join the FB page "Our Man in Istanbul" and be active in the discussion...Levent can speak a really good english and he's really active on that page, he already posted a deadline for each release (once every two months but I hope it will be monthly if the project gets success)....and....well, I will be there for the first release, I really want to met the Aztek Productions team and see what's going on

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

8:06 PM - Jul 01, 2015 #7

thank you for the information.

I can remember that I talked with bill and he mentioned Ringo vs Gestapo .... I was really thrilled hearing he found that movie.

now that I see Ceko is also on the list!
A turkish friend told me a few months ago that Ceko was shown in a cinema in Istanbul. Çetin Inanç and Yilmaz Köksal were also present! If I would have known this before, I would have really tried to be in istanbul around this time.

their are a few turkish movie groups on facebook, these I am a "member" of:
Onar Films
The World Of Turkish Historical, Fantasy, Horror & Peplum Cinema

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

10:10 AM - Jul 02, 2015 #8

the official forum of Aztek Productions is this one here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1461349 ... 0/?fref=ts

You see in the banner Mr. Ali Murat Guven shooting with a gun

bubikoglu
Advanced Member
bubikoglu
Advanced Member

10:40 PM - Jul 31, 2015 #9

This is great news! Looking forward to seeing these on DVD if it ever happens.
I've seen the Turkish edit of '4 Four All', it's considerably shorter than the international print and from memory doesn't add any additional footage.

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

12:24 PM - Aug 20, 2015 #10

Let's see. The first batch of DVD should be available on October. There aren't any relevant news on the "Our Man In Istanbul" facebook page, so I guess they're working on the DVD edition at the moment