Moderators: cinehound, Jack J

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

August 31st, 2015, 2:26 am #21

yes he made an horrible end if I remember well....his head was smashed by a brick felt from a roof. I can't be 100% sure if it was him or somebody else but Ali Murat Guven told me he was "another victim of Turkish movies curse" and - laughing - he told me he'll be the next one....

anyway....back to the sales of these new titles

I was reading on some italian forums that some italian labels print even 200 copies per some specific title and sales of other titles hardly reach 50-100 (!) copies

Now...as I work in CD production, I saw how smaller and smaller is becoming the "disk" market nowadays. Back in the 90's thousand of copies were considered unsatisfying for a business. Now there are more and more new labels coming out which print 200-500 copies and they hardly sell them all. At least not in a blink of an eye.

Ok, the market is smaller and smaller. But if I print 500 copies and I sell them all, didn't I reach my target?

500 people or 1000 people on a population of over 6 billions on earth doesnt make much difference.

When we work on some very specific products - and turkish cinema undoubtely is, as well as some music generes - we should be aware that our potential customers are a very restricted, limited, small audience.

I don't think Bill's target was to expand the knowledge of turkish cinema to big audience but simply to preserve or dig out from oblivion a wonderful and imaginary cinema for those who could be interested. And considering that most of those releases are now sold out, I think the target was reached. Of course it takes time - 500 copies are few but it's utopistic to sell them in one year...it can take more and usually this kind of products are a sort of "evergreen": I mean, they will always sell in the future, there will always be somebody - not here, not now - who in the future will search for a personal copy of Cellat or Kilink Istanbul'da...if so, if the interest keeps alive, then it's just a matter of time. And time proved that almost all release has centered the target. And you cover the costs and you can go on with a new releases, may it take one month or 6 months or 3 years.

Then, as I told you, I don't think Bill's choice was determined by a strict selection of exclusive and rare-at-any cost titles. That modern horror movie (I forgot the name) can't be considered anti-commercial and elitist, some titles had already a DVD release before (Captain Swing and the announced two Zagors) and others were already spreaded through youtube or other channels. So, I can not understand why a "Cellat" was a specific title and these "Drakula Istanbul'da" or "Turkish Star Trek" not....in both cases tere were (are) people who try to make the best edition possible, with english subtitles and interesting extra materials, excellent artwork and a possible worldwide distribution.
Because even "Drakula Istanbul'da" is very hard to find in Turkey - I tried for months to put my hands on the first DVD release (with no enslish subtitles, no bonus material, no extra at all) and I never came across it...so more than welcome a new DVD release as it is hard to find for any potential international customer. Same for "Turkish Star Trek" and others. But as I've seen from the list posted I can't say these titles submitted are "commercial", compared to the ones printed by Bill. Titles like "Kiling vs Mandrake" or "Ringo vs Gestapo" can't be considered easy to find.
And in any case - whenever there's a youtube version, now we have the chance to get a proper DVD release with subtitles and lots of extra. This is the point.
Otherwise - by paradox - there's no title that can be defined as "rare" and worthy of a DVD edition, because sooner or later they would be available on youtube and who cares of a DVD edition.

I think the team Guven-Tulgar-Cakir made a really interesting selection of rare, not too rare and sought-after titles, following the same guidelines as Bill's: restoration, extra material, proper subtitles.... in this and because of the people involved in it, I can see a follow up to Onar, I think there's nothing bad in it.

Then, if you say they never had part in it, I believe you. But they told me they made the restoration of Onar's titles, so a little part in it they probably would had.

In any case...if they press 500 titles and they slowly sell all of them, I think the target is reached

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 31st, 2015, 9:41 pm #22

Demirhan was hit by a falling brick??? I've never heard that story before. There was a thread when he got ill and both Bill and Ali Murat Guven said it was a "brain bleeding" but of course that could have been caused by a severe hit to the head. It was just never mentioned before. He was in hospital for about two weeks.
Here's the old thread:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/THE_CINEHOUND_ ... /779199/2/

I agree with you on the 500 sold and the goal is reached if only 500 were released. And no, it doesn't make much of a difference whether you press 500 or 1000 compared to how many potential buyers are in this world.

About newer, less rare films (Turkish Star Trek, etc). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I wouldn't be interested in them. I certainly would buy all of them! I'm just explaining Bill's stance in regards to them and why I think a new label ought to be a new label, not a continuation of ONAR. And I think it's good they have a new name.
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

September 1st, 2015, 8:06 pm #23

No, as I told you....I can't remember if it was him or another turkish researcher.
I was told by Murat Given that already 3-4 people involved in researching and preserving old turkish movies died and in not a good way. Bill, Metin Demirhan and a couple more.
Now, I can't remember if it was him who had such a horrible end or another one, I will ask him again when I'll be in Istanbul. Possibly it was another researcher, he made a lot of names and I wasn't too much into these things at the time. I only remember he told me it happened at the base of the uphill to Galata, in the small square between the Galata Bridge and the uphill to the tower, a place that I know quite well and - in fact - since then I was always a bit scared walking there, when I stayed in Istanbul for a couple of months. And Murat told me h was walking just beside this other researcher when he saw his head exploding like Mr Majestyk's cucumbers because of this brick. But honestly I canìt remember the name he made, I could be wrong but he was 100% another turkish movie researcher involved in hunting old prints and old materials all over the country, I remember he introduced me other 3-4 people (I have a picture with them all)

but he was talking about a "curse" that was striking those who were trying to rediscover old turkish movies and he said "I'll be the next one"

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

September 1st, 2015, 10:31 pm #24

jnfernal wrote: And Murat told me h was walking just beside this other researcher when he saw his head exploding like Mr Majestyk's cucumbers because of this brick.

My gawd, that's just terrible. What an experience!!!

In any case, that rules out Demirhan. As I said he was in hospital for two weeks. That other person would have died right away I'm sure.

Bill always said he was jinxed! No matter what he did something bad happened. I remember how he posted about it on his website. One time someone who worked for him fell down an elevator shaft, and someone else got chased by gangsters, and one dvd had weird ghost noises on it that the technicians had never heard before.
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

okerlo
okerlo

October 24th, 2015, 4:14 pm #25

Any news?

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

October 29th, 2015, 9:36 am #26

don't know. Tomorrow I'll arrive in Istanbul and in the following day I'll go to Aztek Productions office, so I'll see how's going

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

October 30th, 2015, 5:26 am #27

yeah, official release date for 1st DVD is scheduled for December 1st but I don't know what title
As it was said they will start with some titles by Kunt Tulgar, it should be one among these:

1) THE HIDDEN POWER (GİZLİ KUVVET)- 1982
2) LONG LIVE FATHERLAND! (VATAN SAĞOLSUN)-1993
3) DIAMOND CONNECTION (BELALI ELMASLAR)-1982 (AS CO-DIRECTOR / CO-PRODUCER)
4) REVENGE OF TURKISH NINJA (EJDERİN İNTİKAMI)-1984
5) WOLVES LIKE MIDNIGHT (KURTLAR GECEYİ SEVER)-1988
6) TARZAN THE FEARLESS MAN (TARZAN KORKUSUZ ADAM)-1974

1 title per month

this is the official comunicate:

JUST A FEW STEPS TO THE GREAT SUPRISE...
AZTEK PRODUCTION'S ENGLISH DUBBED PROFESSIONAL RE-MADE TRAILER OF THE FIRST FANTASTIC DVD RELEASE IS COMING NEXT WEEK.
AND THE DVD ITSELF WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET IN DECEMBER 1, 2015...
EVERY MONTH A NEW TITLE FROM AZTEK PRODUCTION... 12 TITLES IN A YEAR... TOTAL 60 TITLES IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS, 2016-2020...
UNKNOWN AND UNIQUE TURKISH TRASH MOVIES WITH EXCELLENT ENGLISH SUBTITLES, PROFESIONALLY CORRECTED SOUND AND PICTURE QUALITY, AUDIO COMMENTARIES FROM DIRECTORS-ACTORS, PHOTO-GALLERIES, EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS, TRAILERS, MANY EXTRAS IN THE MENU.
A PERFECT COLLECTORS' EDITION!
SOMETIMES WITH THE ORIGINAL SIGNATURE OF ITS DIRECTOR ON THE DVD COVER! (NATURALLY, IF THEY STILL ALIVE)
WAIT FOR THE FIRST TRAILER AND FRESH NEWS...

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

November 2nd, 2015, 7:36 am #28

first DVD available from December 1st on regular sale and possibly a few days before in pre/order. I am going today to the Aztek Film Production Studios and ask for the exact pre-order release date

Here's the trailer

https://www.facebook.com/alimurat.guven ... age_bubble

Canisius
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Canisius
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 2nd, 2015, 7:49 pm #29

Nice to hear that the spirit of Onar Films lives on!

How likely is a future release of some Cuneyt Arkin classics like Vahsi Kan, Insan Avcisi, En büyük yumruk or Ölüm savascisi. I'd love to have those released on DVD or even VCD! :up:
"These Parker House Rolls-they belong to my Ma!"

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

November 3rd, 2015, 5:44 am #30

there's some western announced as future release. let's see. I don't think they will release some Arkin's movies. They would cost too much in copyright. Most likey Gala Film or Horizon International would repress them, even if without english subites and any shadow of extra material