Moderators: cinehound, Jack J

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

July 26th, 2013, 6:04 pm #31

on one hand it is nice that oop dvd's will still be available .... on the other hand, I will know it will distrub me, when I know that in my mm dvd collection is 1 movie that is not "orriginal".

maybe a small detail ..... but will the dvdr's have the title printed on them, or hand written?

Harm
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Harm
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

July 26th, 2013, 6:24 pm #32

DVDR's literally can rot away. I know this, as I've seen it happen to cheapo discs, but also BASF, TDK and Philips discs. They basically suck.

mondoboy
Advanced Member
mondoboy
Advanced Member

July 26th, 2013, 9:55 pm #33

I never had any single "rot" dvdr or anything too, got + 4000 at home..Btw iam only using Verbatim +r! you just have to be careful with them! once they're scratched, impossible to make a back up ( as everyone knows)!

Regarding MM i prefer to spend a little more and to have a real dvd!
Cinehound,the forum that kill your bank account!!!

WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

July 27th, 2013, 6:52 am #34

I've never had problems with dvd-rs not playing after several years myself. I am sure there may be a few that are like that which I have not touched in years and those are titles recorded on disc stock that I am unfamiliar with. But those that I have re-watched over the years on stock such as Verbatim, TDK, Sony and Taiyo Yuden all play fine still.

If Pete is considering doing this though and there is interest from collectors in him doing it, I would hope that (just to cover himself and also to ensure quality) he would use dvd-rs that are guaranteed to last 'forever'. There is a particular brand out there now (I cannot recall the name) that market their discs on the fact that they have stronger layers and dye that do not deteriorate like some dvd-rs. More expensive, but if their dvd-rs are not was easy to scratch and their dye used holds the information permanently, then I think that would be the responsible choice when opting for the 'on-demand' dvd-r route...

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

July 27th, 2013, 1:00 pm #35

It's a fact that a good number of people, including myself, have experienced that Something Weird Video's dvd-r releases do indeed "rot", i.e. they start to freeze, skip, and eventually stop working. However, I'm 99% sure this is due to the glue on the paper labels that SWV stick on the discs. I've had SWV dvd-r's that started to go bad after 6 months!

I think it's a brilliant idea that MM are willing to make their out-of-print films available as print-on-demand dvd-r's for those fans who can't find them/don't have the money or wish to fork over steep collector's prices for rare OOP editions.

I don't see the problem that some serious collectors might have with it. If you're a serious collector it shouldn't be a problem that they exist on dvd-r. Is it a problem to the VHS collector that a film exists on dvd or bluray? Of course not! All you have to do is track down the original dvd version! Besides, even if MM were to skip the dvd-r format and instread print up a batch of new dvd's, how would that benefit the collection of the serious collector? It would still be a second printing! A reprint!! No good for the anal, serious collector anyway. He wants the 1st print edition.
DSC_0164__Copiar_.jpg
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Sweeney Todd
Advanced Member
Sweeney Todd
Advanced Member

July 30th, 2013, 6:22 am #36

Quote: "The dvd-r's that don't work after a few years (actually after 6 months!!) are the ones from SWV and I strongly believe it has to do with the glue they use for the disc labels."

But even in this case, the remedy, as you know, is very simple. Immediately after receiving a DVD-r, you made a copy on an external hard drive, so if something wrong happens, you can burn an exact clone of the original. I have three 3To external hard-drives so I have "security copies" of any rare stuff in my collection. I rarely encountered problems with a DVD-r, but this sometimes happens, alas.
I remember to have bought an original Dutch DVD (NOT a DVD-r) of "The Legend of Sweeney Todd" (with Ben Kingsley) and the disc was freezing around the 50th minute. Well, I just made a copy, burned it on another disc, and this DVD-r played perfectly on any machine...

mondoboy
Advanced Member
mondoboy
Advanced Member

August 6th, 2013, 10:02 am #37

EXT HD can easily die..

Anyone knows where can i contact MM staff ??

Jared
Star Member
Star Member
Jared
Star Member
Star Member

August 16th, 2013, 6:32 am #38

I can help you. Just PM your question.

mondoboy
Advanced Member
mondoboy
Advanced Member

September 18th, 2013, 9:10 am #39

What happend to MM ? they don't seem to send stock to stores anymore since 2 months!

Merlin
Merlin

November 10th, 2013, 2:23 pm #40

Aren't they releasing Piero Vivarelli's 'Snake God' soon? I didn't see any mention of it here in this thread.

More info over at the Latarnia forums here including the press sheet:

http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/topic ... n-XrOKCfIU

It's a great little movie, but don't expect a 'horror/giallo' film because it isn't (as one odd reviewer over there seems to expect) It's a drama about two women, one black, one white, and Djambala! Great score, lush cinematography and some solid performances from the two female leads - probably riding on the coattails of the success of Alberto Cavallone's 'Le Salamandre' which touches on many of the same themes. Ultimately, it really depends on whether you like that kind of thing.