News, reviews & info about cult DVD, VCD and Blu-Ray releases worldwide!

Moderators: cinehound, Jack J

magnus
Star Member
Star Member
magnus
Star Member
Star Member

September 11th, 2010, 12:12 am #11

I saw the uncut print at the swedish cinematec some 5-7 yeras ago, nothing very special to be honest. give me Images in a convent or Behind conevnt walls anyday.
Just saw Rivettes The Nun the other day as well, in art-cinema that must be the number one nun-movie!

WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

September 11th, 2010, 12:21 pm #12

You would have seen the restored 2004 edit Magnus, not an uncut version. No uncut version exists and it is 99% likely that such a complete/uncut version NEVER will. Even with the 'Rape of Christ' sequence, Sister Jeanne's 'bone-fellatio/masturbation' and the other footage they found reinstated it is still missing a good few seconds of material (not sure how much, but anywhere between a few seconds and as much as maybe 10 or 20 seconds possibly) as i believe the many trims made to Grandier's leg torture were not found nor was the "shit on the altar" trims. A damned shame as this film has really suffered from censor interfence over the years, especially back then, yet even when the long-thought 'lost' footage was found it was only 99% of it...=(

ChevyReeves

October 17th, 2010, 1:28 am #13

Im sure that when me & Inspector Tanzi where at Toby Russell's, he said that he was sure all missing footage was gone for good, evidently there are some very cool stills / production photo's etcetc that no one had seen but that was about it : (

WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

October 21st, 2010, 10:00 am #14

Anyone able to lay their hands on the iTunes version of THE DEVILS? And maybe the Spanish DVD version? I want to try and redo my composite and see whether using these version could benefit it in some way. Either that, or maybe create an iTunes-sized composite (to reduce quality problems)...

L.A.
Advanced Member
L.A.
Advanced Member

November 10th, 2011, 10:04 pm #15

edkrak
edkrak

November 11th, 2011, 11:38 am #16

Not only film will be censored, but also "Hell on Earth" documentary? Wow, that sucks. No way I'm spending a penny on such a release.

Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 14th, 2011, 10:09 am #17

edkrak wrote: Not only film will be censored, but also "Hell on Earth" documentary? Wow, that sucks. No way I'm spending a penny on such a release.
Since Warner flat out refuse to release the uncut print (including the never seen "rape of Christ"-scene) this could hardly be said to be a fault of BFI:s. Looks like a sweet package to me, i'll definitively pick it up. I'm especially glad for the inclusion of "Amelia and the Angel" as an extra, I love Russell's earlier work and that one has remained very hard to see in decent quality until now.

edkrak
edkrak

November 14th, 2011, 3:24 pm #18

I'm not blaming BFI, I understand that's not their fault. I'm just not that eager to spend money on a release missing exactly those scenes I want to see the most. And since my list of DVDs to buy is longer than I can afford at the moment, it's not a hard decision for me to skip this one.

ajji
Advanced Member
ajji
Advanced Member

March 27th, 2012, 4:13 pm #19

well, now that the UK dvd has been released, who will be the first to review it here?

WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

May 15th, 2012, 4:36 pm #20

No real need for a review Ajji as i am sure most of us are familiar with this classic!

I have the 2-Disc BFI release and all that needs to be said is this:

Forget about the fact that Warner refused to allow the found footage to be included in a restored edit for this release or in the HELL ON EARTH documentary as the film is presented in the original British theatrical edit, which in itself is damned near uncut anyway and a version that Russell was happy with and authorised. The BFI were even refused the opportunity to create a HD master and release the film as a Blu Ray but this did not stop them from ensuring the bitrate was as high as possible and giving us the most stunning presentation of the film to date.
Image and audi quality are the best the film has ever had and will not be bettered until a Blu Ray release. Add to that the 2nd disc which is rammed full of extras and the film itself sporting an audio commentary with Ken Russell and his editor and you have what is a MUST-HAVE package for any fan of Russell or the film until such a day comes when a Blu Ray or restored edit is sanctioned.

Don't diss it because they would not allow the found footage to be used....it is an amazing release!