Moderators: cinehound, Jack J

okerlo
okerlo

January 10th, 2017, 10:45 am #11

Guest wrote:
Sweeney Todd wrote:I got a lot of original VCDs from Malaysia several years ago, including all the available Pontianak titles. By precaution (as I don't know if these VCDs will survive through the years) I copied them on DVD-rs.
you have a very interesting point there, was talking with somebody about this a few days ago.
I have been recording some indonesian laserdiscs to dvdr lately ..... also the laserdiscs slowly show signs of rot!
I can imagen that the vcd's also have a life cycle not so long. in max 10years these vcd's wont play anymore ..... same for dvdr's. probably the best way to transfer the movies is too safe them on a usb stick ....... than again can we read usb sticks in 20years? 20years ago people used too safe there data on floppy disks .... what computer today can still read floppy disks?
This is a problem that probably all archives or people who want to backup their data face: will I still be able to use this particular hardware in a given time from now on? How long will this hardware work? How much redundancy do I really need?

In the end it comes down to financial issues I guess, everyone is responsible for his own stuff and needs to see how much he is willing to spend. I guess the point of digital archives is to always move the data from one place to the next (read: probably better) hardware and always keep this flow going.

For a private person who wants to backup some VCDs? I would suggest burn them on a DVD-r and put the VCD on a hard disk drive or two. Another aspect to keep in mind is to store the backups at several places, not everything in one house for instance, maybe you can store a hdd at a friend or so, maybe you'll need it someday.

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

January 10th, 2017, 12:45 pm #12

well, here in malaysia there's still quite some titles available: some Pontianak ones, some Orang Minyak ones, a few Suzanna and even more Barry Prima and other actions....let's say a good 80/100 titles (more or less) up to the late 80's/early 90's....
don't know if to buy some....i mean, it's going to cost me a lot of money anyway to buy all the dead stocks or just a few copies for each title....plus i need to send them to italy.... it won't be that cheap and most of collectors of indonesian movies I guess they still have all of them

the rarest movies gone away the first time I came here, 4-5 years ago. since then only ordinary stuff is left....till when??

Godzilla-2000

January 10th, 2017, 1:55 pm #13

jinfernal, please let me know if you can find a VCD of "Syukur 21" in Malaysia. Thank you!

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

January 10th, 2017, 4:22 pm #14

mmm...i can try but i never found it in the past two years and it's almost impossible that shops could have get some dead stock copies of it. but i'll try....anyway there are only 7 shops left in KL where to find these movies, so it won't take too long.
I can also ask around to some collectors...i'll check

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

January 10th, 2017, 4:24 pm #15

Godzilla-2000

January 10th, 2017, 6:02 pm #16

Whoa... Do you think they ship internationally?

Member-X
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Member-X
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

January 10th, 2017, 7:51 pm #17

I only have a few VCDs and a one DVD. ^_^

I hope the picture links works, Photobucket has started to suck big time.

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

January 11th, 2017, 2:00 am #18

For Godzilla2000:

I don't know....yesterday I couldn't open that link. If it's working today, I can try to get in touch with the seller and see how to do. Anyway I will also check the last vcd shops here in KL to see if I can find it

Godzilla-2000

January 11th, 2017, 7:16 am #19

That would be fantastic. Thank you so much.

jnfernal
Advanced Member
jnfernal
Advanced Member

January 12th, 2017, 3:00 am #20

Found it. Brand new, sealed. Also in a (few) more copies if somebody need it.

Later I'll post a partial stuff of indonesian/malaysian vcd I can find. Not complete yet. Just for horror/mystery/fantasy/sword-n-sorcery