FUTURE RELEASES FROM MONDO MACABRO

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

March 22nd, 2009, 9:41 pm #1

Hey, since Mondo Pete is a member here I thought I'd throw in my two cents for what I would like to see Messrs Tombs and Starke put out sometime in the future on DVD. Obviously, it doesn't mean Pete is gonna take any notice but he might get some good ideas for a release (and hopefully they'll coincide with MY wishes! :lol: ).

How about a double disk with ZUMA and ZUMA 2: HELL SERPENT.

And I would just LOVE to see some of the dark HK horror movies:

THE RAPE AFTER
DEAD CURSE
WITCH WITH FLYING HEAD

So, the rest of you guys, if you've got any wishes let's hear them.
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

March 22nd, 2009, 10:30 pm #2

One of the best things about Mondo Macabro is that it's one of the few companies that makes you go "Wow, here's a movie I never knew I wanted to see!". So my answer would be - surpirse us, dig up something amazing that's beyond obscure and bring it to the world's attention!!

(A more boring answer would be: more Franco & Naschy, please? How about Lorna the Exorcist or The Mummy's Revenge? Or maybe a a follow-up to turkish pop cinema disc?)

petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

March 23rd, 2009, 12:41 am #3

I second that second Turkish disc. And I would love to see Altar on it!!!

a Gungala double feature disc would be very nice too

and the other Warrior movies.

Those are the obvious ones for me, but there is loads more of obscure stuff perfect for mondo macabro releases that I would happily buy

I also second all the titles you mention Jack. I guess the rape after is still a difficult title (literally) to get into stores
ooh ooh I also want more koji wakamatsu on dvd!!! so dissapointing that there are so few English friendly releases of his work...

Bill Knight
Advanced Member
Bill Knight
Advanced Member

March 23rd, 2009, 2:21 am #4

I'd like to see these two which only 'Mondo Macabro' would probably know about and release. Although finding master elements for these films may be impossible?

MORBUS

review from the old 'Midnight Video' site:

aka 'Morbus, O Que Aproveche' the 1982 Spanish zombie, Satanism and sex film from Ignasi Serra. A mad scientist discovers a serum to revive the dead which results in the creation of flesh eating zombies. Meanwhile, a pair of prostitutes take their clients into the dark forest for sex when the zombies attack. The zombies next victims are members of a Satanic sect who indulge in bloody rituals and evil, torturous sexual practices. This film has been quoted as being in the Jess Franco vein: "it takes every opportunity to show sadism, zombieism and, especially, lots of female nudity that has been exploited to the acceptable limit". A purely bizarre, atmospheric and macabre film that must been seen. Stars Joan Borras, Carla Day, Mon Ferrer, the insane Victor Israel, Sony Young and Irene Rives.

SEXO SANGRIENTO

review from the old 'Midnight Video' site:

aka 'Bloodthirsy Sex'. Extremely rare 1981 Spanish horror/sexploitation film from Manuel Esteba Gallego. Three young women become involved with a woman painter and her sinister servant who live in a remote, secluded mansion. One of the women, a clairvoyant, predicts the horror and murderous events upcoming but is unable to change the future. What is the evil force behind these hideous events? "A crude sexploitation film in the tradition of Jess Franco's sex and sadism efforts". An extremely atmospheric film with great scenery. Contains plenty of nudity, lesbian footage and bloody skulls! A very warped film with a superb soundtrack. A film which must be seen by the true, die-hard European horror film fan. Stars Ovidi Montllor, Mirta Miller, Diana Conca, Viki Palmer and Elisa Romero.

[color=990000]MIDNIGHT LEGACY[/color]
Giving the films the respect they deserve!
http://www.midnight-legacy.com

[color=000000]eBay auctions (rare VHS tapes from around the world):[/color]
http://shop.ebay.com/midnight_1/m.html? ... =&_ipg=200

Stephen Gladwin
Advanced Member
Stephen Gladwin
Advanced Member

March 23rd, 2009, 2:47 am #5

My votes:

-PHI TA BO, the best Thai horror in my opinion.
-I also second THE RAPE AFTER
-DER FAN! This one REALLY deserves a special edition DVD! Such a great, bizarre film (and so much superior to the similar AUDITION) that has not had a truly definitive DVD release. This is one of the few films that truly haunts me and had me thinking about it for DAYS afterward!
-Definitely WITCH WITH THE FLYING HEAD! The best penanggalan film has tragically never been available in English. I think Pete said something awhile ago about not being able to locate original elements, but at this point, WHO CARES? Just put out the best quality print you can find and slap some well-translated subs on there and I'm good! This one is just too good to stay hidden for so long!
**Or what about those crazy Pakastani horrors like GORKUND?

headless

March 23rd, 2009, 3:04 am #6

+1 for MORBUS and WITCH WITH FLYING HEAD...
What about the 1967 BATWOMAN movie?? (or anything with Maura Monti in it)
Although, I'd expect the next MM release to suprise and freak me out like
they have with their previous releases... Still can't get over MYSTICS
IN BALI.... just brilliant!

WITCH WITH FLYING HEAD!!!

Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

March 23rd, 2009, 8:59 am #7

Stephen Gladwin wrote: -DER FAN!  This one REALLY deserves a special edition DVD!  Such a great, bizarre film (and so much superior to the similar AUDITION) that has not had a truly definitive DVD release.  This is one of the few films that truly haunts me and had me thinking about it for DAYS afterward!
There's a brittish DVD of excellent quality. Only problems is the audio: you can either watch it in badly dubbed english language or the original german track with no subs.

Love the film too!

Mondo Pete

March 23rd, 2009, 12:17 pm #8

Thanks, all. We did investigate Der Fan a few years back, when our good friend Bruce Holocheck suggested it. Jeez, that's one doomy Teutonic movie for sure.

Morbus and Sexo Sangriento are definitely on our radar. I prefer Spanish horror to Italian, to be honest. It's more gritty and less concerned with "style". Morbus is kind of a weird comedy (and the first horror film in Catalan, I believe). It was written by Isabel Coixet who's now HUGELY prestigious. Just check out the awards she's had. Be fun to get her involved in a commentary...

If anyone can find ANY materials (or rights owner) for Witch and Rape After we'd go for both. I've got nowhere with either of them. Ditto The Magic Curse.

We were on the eve of signing a deal on the Zuma's, and then the films got sold to another company. One that's less easy to deal with. But we haven't given up.

There should be an interesting announcement very soon about some upcoming titles that I think (hope!) everyone on here will be interested in. Sorry to be coy, but until we've finally got the contracts and materials sorted I don't want to say anything more. We're 99% there...

At least it'll be something to put on the blog!

petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

March 23rd, 2009, 12:24 pm #9

talking about Spanish thriller/horror..."the corruption of chris miller" would be very nice to own on DVD!!!

Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

March 23rd, 2009, 3:38 pm #10

petcor80 wrote: talking about Spanish thriller/horror..."the corruption of chris miller" would be very nice to own on DVD!!!
I'll second that in a second! One of the top three best spanish horrors/thrillers IMHO. It's also described as a giallo by many = good for sales.