Flea markets: what is worth saving?

A special section about the glorious VHS from all over the world # Also Beta & V2000 # Tons of ultra-rare sleeves!

Moderators: cinehound, Jack J

Flea markets: what is worth saving?

candela
Advanced Member
candela
Advanced Member

May 5th, 2013, 7:31 pm #1

I regularly go to flea markets in Belgium (and Holland) and often see VHS tapes being sold for peanuts. 99% is disney and mainstream crap but sometimes I actually see some movies that I own myself on DVD. However, I have no idea if the VHS versions are worth buying and making sure they receive a home with an actual VHS collector (I only collect DVD myself). I really hate seeing these tapes ending up in a trash bin when somewhere someone is actually looking for these things. Now of course if I would see something like a Mario Bava or spaghetti western tape (hasn't actually happened :)) I would not hesitate and buy it instantly. But what about 80s action stuff like Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, Cynthia Rothrock, etc. (the things I see most often). Judging from the excellent condition these tapes are in I assume they are sell through and not rental versions.

Some examples of movies I saw this weekend:
Alley Cat (1984) [was actually a rental with photocopied cover]
Enemy Territory (1987)
Fist Fighter (1989)
Lipstick (1976)

Some stuff I took home in the past:

Is there some general rule to follow, what is interesting and what not? Seeing they practically give away these tapes for free, price is not an issue. However I don't want to take them home and then be stuck with them forever

Harm
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Harm
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

May 5th, 2013, 7:41 pm #2

If they don't cost much, they're worth a gamble. You can just throw them away, can't you?

Fist Fighter is an entertaining film, by the way.

anthonyCSR
Star Member
Star Member
anthonyCSR
Star Member
Star Member

May 6th, 2013, 8:15 am #3

3 outta 4 on your pic are def sull throughs so they aren't worth much but that doesn't mean they're not entertaining love the enemy territory, great flick!

candela
Advanced Member
candela
Advanced Member

June 9th, 2013, 7:15 pm #4

I've started buying VHS the last few weeks on flea markets. Here's what I have found so far

Although I bought them with the intent rescuing them from the garbage bin, now I'm tempted to start collecting VHS :). I love the cover art on some of them. However they take up so much space and my room is already piled with DVDs. So I'll guess I will sell everything that is available DVD. And possibly trying to convert the ones that aren't on DVD.

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

June 9th, 2013, 7:38 pm #5

so many nice tapes! you should have started buying taes on flea markets a long time ago!

Julebrus
Advanced Member
Julebrus
Advanced Member

June 10th, 2013, 11:44 am #6

Some real nice finds there!

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

June 10th, 2013, 9:30 pm #7

Wauw! Rare ones there.

THE BEASTS!! That Dutch tape took me literally years to get hold of (from a Dutch collector).
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

candela
Advanced Member
candela
Advanced Member

June 11th, 2013, 7:55 am #8

The top row of VHS, including The Beasts, I got from the same guy. He got them from a neighbour who apparently had a room full of those things and was getting rid of them as he was switching to DVD. He had a few more ex-rentals with him (more mainstream stuff like 1984 and Screwballs) but he said he had lot's more stuff at home which he was willing to bring next time. So hopefully the weather next weekend is ok and I'll be scoring big time, lol

I don't know why that second picture stopped working, I'll reupload in the weekend.

Is there a DVD of The Beasts since it seems to be a popular VHS for some reason. The cover is hideous but the movie appears to be cool. Never heard of it before

bubikoglu
Advanced Member
bubikoglu
Advanced Member

June 11th, 2013, 5:39 pm #9

candela wrote:
Is there a DVD of The Beasts since it seems to be a popular VHS for some reason.
Yes, there's a region free Hong Kong DVD on the Pearl City label. I believe it's OOP now though.

bdc
Star Member
Star Member
bdc
Star Member
Star Member

June 11th, 2013, 6:22 pm #10

Isn't the dvd slightly cut?
Also the vhs has the English dub.