dodo
Star Member
Star Member
dodo
Star Member
Star Member

August 18th, 2014, 12:23 pm #81

Member-X wrote:
Dodo, have you seen the "Noita palaa elämään" dvd for sale lately?
Nop. Noita Palaa Elämään DVD seems to be OOP and rare now...

dodo
Star Member
Star Member
dodo
Star Member
Star Member

August 18th, 2014, 12:25 pm #82

Also I heard that the Sampo DVD's run is only 500 copies, so if anyone still wondering I recommend they buy it now, as it will be OOP soon I bet.

candela
Advanced Member
candela
Advanced Member

August 18th, 2014, 7:40 pm #83

hi dodo, any idea where I can buy Sampo dvd? I found it on discshop.fi and cdon.fi but both don't seem to ship outside finland . I can't find the dvd on dischop.se or cdon.com

dodo
Star Member
Star Member
dodo
Star Member
Star Member

August 20th, 2014, 9:59 am #84

I think I can get you one... I'll PM you soon.

Godzilla-2000

September 1st, 2014, 10:21 pm #85

To Finnish members and experts here...

I'm looking for a copy of the Finnish silent film "Noidan kirot" (1927).

I know it's not on DVD in Finland. Was it available on VHS at some point?
Any info on a VHS or possible DVD-R would be welcome.

dodo
Star Member
Star Member
dodo
Star Member
Star Member

September 2nd, 2014, 4:06 pm #86

I sent PM.

Your nick got me thinking. Does anyone have Japanese cut of Sampo on any format? In Japan the Sampo was called Mahou no Suisha Sampo, meaning Magic Water Mill Sampo or something like that. And the great Ishirô Honda oversaw the the making of the Japanese dubbed version of the film! Honda also wrote essay about the films special effects for the marketing material. I would love to see the Japanese version!

dodo
Star Member
Star Member
dodo
Star Member
Star Member

September 7th, 2014, 2:28 pm #87

petcor80 wrote: In the beginning there is also a scene where the hero of the story travels on a very wild river while standing on a tree... it seems to be a stunt without any special effects... don't think I ever saw something like that before!
This needs a comment. Finland has a lot of lakes and lot of forests. So it's still very common (and practical) to use log floating to move timber. As I have said many times there's not a lot of traditional genre films made in Finland. But there's one genre that's very Finnish and that is films about lumberjacks! Men who are far from home cutting the trees and log floating them. There are serious ones, but most of them are romantic or comedic in nature. But also horror film like Noidan Kirot has evil lumberjacks in it. First Finnish lumberjack film is probably Koskenlaskijan morsian from 1923.

I think I read somewhere theat there's some old Canadian lumberjack film's. Anyone know any lumberjack films from anywhere else? Japan, Russia, anywhere?

The scene in Sampo is typical in lumberjack film's. And some people still ride logs:

https://www.google.fi/search?q=koskenla ... CAYQ_AUoAQ

Old Finnish documentary about lumberjacks:
http://yle.fi/elavaarkisto/artikkelit/t ... edia=31845