Moderators: cinehound, Jack J

Cut DVD list!

Stephen Gladwin
Advanced Member
Stephen Gladwin
Advanced Member

November 2nd, 2008, 9:10 pm #1

Well, I had a great brainstorm: Why not keep a running list of cut DVDs cinehound members come across? It could be similar to the old Midnight Video Cut DVD list (which yours truly started years and years ago -- too bad I didn't save the info to my computer! DOH!). Faulty DVD transfers, such as cropboxing (that is, Tim Lucas's term for an overly matted letterboxing that trims picture information) can also be on this list. If possible, we should provide references to UNCUT alternative releases, either on VHS or another DVD release. I don't want to turn this into an "Anti-DVD" or "Anti DVD company X" rant thread. Basically this thread should serve a practical function as a "consumer reports" for us cinehounds to keep us from wasting our hard-earned cash

**Miltos, could you make this a sticky?

Anyways, I'll get us started:

SATAN'S SLAVE (BCI): This "double-bill" DVD (paired with Norman Warren's TERROR) is missing MINUTES of sleazy and gory footage! According to the review from 10,000 bullets, it is missing nearly FOUR MINUTES of footage!

HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP (New Concorde): This release is missing a scene of gore where a most unfortunate carnival goer's head is messily torn off by one of the humanoids. This gore scene is restored in the COMPLETELY UNCUT Japanese "King Records" DVD (so what else is new?), pictured below:

DERANGED (MGM): This "MidniteMovies" double-feature DVD (paired with "Motel Hell) is unfortunately missing the gory "eyeball scooping" scene that was intact in the old Moore Video VHS. A shame, as it is a good transfer. **I believe the German PAL DVD from "Legend Home Entertainment" is UNCUT, but can anyone confirm?

cinehound
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
cinehound
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 2nd, 2008, 10:36 pm #2

Stephen Gladwin wrote:

**Miltos, could you make this a sticky?
Done

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 2nd, 2008, 11:08 pm #3

Stephen Gladwin wrote: Japanese "King Records" DVD ... pictured below:
No it ain't.
devil.jpg
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 2nd, 2008, 11:11 pm #4

Stephen Gladwin wrote: DERANGED (MGM): This "MidniteMovies" double-feature DVD (paired with "Motel Hell) is unfortunately missing the gory "eyeball scooping" scene that was intact in the old Moore Video VHS.
That's really fucked! I don't get it. Why wouldn't they put out their own movies uncut. Jezzz!!! :angry:
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
WANYON
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 2nd, 2008, 11:34 pm #5

Who knows why some companies release cut versions of their own productions on DVD. The most likely reason (and one often put forward by such companies) is a simple error when selecting the master for digital representation. I think in some cases that seems a little slack a reason though as they must know whether a master is cut or not and i feel it is often a case of not wanting to fork out $$$ for a new uncut master to be prepared and feeling working with an existing master will keep costs down, especially for titles they do not predict a great turnover for...

The German DVD of DERANGED is uncut, from what i recall, with the cut footage reinstated from a VHS source (either the old American VHS release or the UK 'Exploited' video release...more likely the former, judging by the quality)...

The uncut version of HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP was shown a few times in a nice clean print here in the UK on one of the SKY MOVIES channels many years ago. I recorded it and still have it. Very nice. The American DVD, from what i hear, is also letterboxed and the matting crops alot from the frame in the way of nudity, etc. Can anyone confirm the matting hampers the release in this way? I know the UK satellite TV version was fully uncut and in an open-matte transfer...

Stephen Gladwin
Advanced Member
Stephen Gladwin
Advanced Member

November 3rd, 2008, 12:44 am #6

Jack: Here's the King Records HUMANOIDS DVD.

As to why MGM put out DERANGED cut, I'd like to cite a Video Watchdog review (issue #97) for a plausible explanation (review by John Charles):

"[The Uncut Moore Video edition] was authorized by the film's producer, Tom Karr, and the print used for the transfer represented the directors' original cut. The AIP release version, however, was missing the picture's most graphic sequence. [The MGM DVD] runs 1m 10s shorter than the tape. This would indicate that the bit in question (which runs 1m 15s and should appear at the 22:22 mark on the DVD) was likely eliminated prior to AIP's purchase of the production...The AIP version closes with a 5s copyright notice for that company and a "names have been changed" disclaimer, accounting for the slight discrepancy in running times."

WANYON: I just checked both the New Concorde US DVD and the Japan DVD and the Japan DVD seems to be ltbx'd at about 1:85, whereas the New Concorde is open matte. The Japan DVD doesn't seem to matte out any nudity (there's even that brief glimpse of that girl's felt below the belt in the beach tent scene), nor does it seem too cramped with the letterboxing. The American DVD doesn't crop nudity either. But that was just a quick glimpse though.

Stephen Gladwin
Advanced Member
Stephen Gladwin
Advanced Member

November 3rd, 2008, 1:26 am #7

Here's two more entries:

MS. 45 (Image Entertainment): This early Image DVD (from 2000 I believe) is missing some crucial footage. Both rape sequences are missing footage as well as some non-graphic footage. And the final shootout is missing footage (about 15 seconds) in which a male partier is wounded by gunfire. Curiously, Richard Harland Smith notes in his review in Video Watchdog #66 that this DVD actually has more exit music (nearly a minute more) than the old uncut USA Video VHS.

PHENOMENA (Anchor Bay): The old Anchor Bay DVD, pictured above, is CUT. I remember split-screen comparing this to the "Integral Hard" Japanese VHS years ago. I do not remember the footage that was cut (honestly, it wasn't very juicy, but it was missing) but the Anchor Bay DVD is indeed shorter.
*It seems the new Anchor Bay DVD of this film (pictured below) is identical in content (but in better quality) as the old AB DVD, which means it is missing the footage from the Integral version. Check out the comments at the bottom of this review here: phenomena review

ajji
Advanced Member
ajji
Advanced Member

November 3rd, 2008, 9:58 am #8

I'm not at all tech-savvy so I won't be able to include images (if someone else here is kind enough to do it, that'll be great). But here are a few 'cut' dvds I have info on:

FANNY HILL
the R1 dvd is cut to shreds! It was mind-boggling as to why someone would release such a truncated dvd of a softcore film in this day and age, when more graphic stuff can be seen on other R1 dvds. The old VHS was uncut, and so is the European (German, I think) dvd release. A friend ordered it and made me a copy,but I still have to see what the cover looks like .

MATA HARI (1985)
Again, the R1 dvd is cut. No idea if there is any uncut version out there, so if anyone has any info, it would be most welcome.

PRIVATE LESSONS
Another film of Sylvia Kristel that has been released in an 'edited' form on dvd. The R1 '25th anniversary' dvd is a sick joke at the buyer's exxpense. Not only is the frontal nudity 'blurred' out, but they've also replaced footage from a key opening title sequence, which was only suggestive and did NOT feature any nudity or underage persons! :angry: I first saw the film as a young teen, on VHS, wheer it was completely uncut. No idea wher to find an uncut version today, so if anyone can enlighten me, please step forward.

DAWN OF THE DEAD (2004)
More R1 mischief: even the 'unrated' dvd of the film has a 'digitally' edited sequence where a nude woman is 'hidden' by blood/gore effects. The international 'unrated dvd is fully uncut, and the nudity is unedited.

THE PUNISHER (1989)
I've heard there is a european dvd which is uncut, but I need someone to verify it. The R1 dvd is, yes, the 'cut' R-rated version.

CAT CHASER
To my knowledge, all existing home video versions of the film are heavily cut. Ferrara owns the 'director's cut', which he supposedly screens for friends at his house.

cinehound
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
cinehound
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 3rd, 2008, 10:29 am #9

ajji wrote:

PRIVATE LESSONS
Another film of Sylvia Kristel that has been released in an 'edited' form on dvd. The R1 '25th anniversary' dvd is a sick joke at the buyer's exxpense. Not only is the frontal nudity 'blurred' out, but they've also replaced footage from a key opening title sequence, which was only suggestive and did NOT feature any nudity or underage persons! :angry: I first saw the film as a young teen, on VHS, wheer it was completely uncut. No idea wher to find an uncut version today, so if anyone can enlighten me, please step forward.
I think the Cinehollywood VHS is uncut...Even if not sure about nothing anymore
Anyone who knows better?

ajji
Advanced Member
ajji
Advanced Member

November 3rd, 2008, 11:58 am #10

2 from David Lynch:

MULHOLLAND DR.
The dvd was supervised by Lynch, and the scene where Laura Harring is seen standing naked just before joining Naomi Watts on the bed, has been digitally 'edited' so that Harring's nudity is blurred. I don't know if an unaltered version exist outside of theatrical prints.

WILD AT HEART
the US dvd included an 'altered' version of the scene where Willem Dafoe gets his head blown off by shotgun. The UK dvd has the original 'unaltered' sequence intact, and that's the version I got...despite it being shorn of extras. :rolleyes: