Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

September 28th, 2008, 6:22 pm #1

The headline sadly says it all.
Cirio Santiago died yesterday. He had cancer.

There's an obituary here:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerhe ... dies-at-72

Believe it or not but he was actually working on a NEW post-apocalypse film!!! Who else but Santiago would even think of doing one of those 20 years after the genre died. Well, except Bruno Mattei and he also left the building not long ago.

RIP old buddy.

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

BELOWaverage
BELOWaverage

September 28th, 2008, 6:25 pm #2

thats really sad, especially his son dying 6 months before him. His legacy will never be forgotten, thats for sure. Rest in peace.

Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jack J
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

September 28th, 2008, 9:28 pm #3

I'd like to bring to your attention a new Santiago review section over at Fred Adelman's (also a member here) eMag Critical Condition. Fred wrote this in tonight's memorial thread over at Dvdmaniacs (and I hope he doesn't mind my posting it here):
wrote: I've made no secret of my love for everything Santiago, but his death really hit me hard because I am in the middle of creating a page on my site devoted to all of the films he made with Roger Corman. While the page is nowhere near completed (I have at least 20 more films to post), I decided to release it "as is" and add reviews as I type them in. This is my tribute to Mr. Santiago and the hours and hours of enjoyment he has given me:
You'll find the Santiago review page here:

http://www.critcononline.com/cirio_h_sa ... eviews.htm

Jack
2019 AD. The only blog that survived the nuclear holocaust: EN LEJEMORDER SER TILBAGE
The ONLY site in the world devoted entirely to trashy Filipino war flicks: When the Vietnam War raged... in the Philippines
The FLIPSIDE of Asian cinema: Backyard Asia

Michael Gustavsson
Advanced Member
Michael Gustavsson
Advanced Member

September 28th, 2008, 9:47 pm #4

Very sad news Santiago was one of the most enjoyable directors in the action field.

Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Lars Jacobsson
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

September 28th, 2008, 9:52 pm #5

Sad news indeed. RIP, Cirio, thanks for the entertainment

I always had a soft spot for his post apocalyptic actioners. Hell, i'll take WHEELS OF FIRE over MAD MAX any day...

Ed Glaser

September 29th, 2008, 5:44 am #6

Holy cow, I was watching FUTURE HUNTERS the night he died...

I had heard he got sick during the making of ROAD RAIDERS, and I got an email from Jim Wynorski earlier this summer mentioning that he was flying out to Manila to help him finish it. Sounds like Santiago was more than just sick.

Man, that's just awful news.
Neon Harbor - Home of "Deja View," showcasing foreign remakes and rip-offs of popular American films

Naschy77
Naschy77

March 11th, 2017, 3:07 pm #7

Hello, everyone!

Your help is needed: For a book project about CIRIO H. SANTIAGO!
I'm currently starting to collect material for a book about the Philippine B-movie master.

Your cooperation is appreciated and needed! In the western world, Mr. Santiago is almost a book with seven seals ...
Anyone who got written material such as (old) interviews, reviews, newspaper reports, etc. is absolutely welcome to provide me with this.
In copy, digital, anyway - I am grateful for everything! Approved are finds in English, German and Spanish.

Depending on the extent of your help, of course, fame, praiseworthy mention and a free copy are waiting (the realization of the book is already relatively safe! One can never be sure 100% of course - but if necessary it will be an ebook or I scratch it in stone slabs... It will see the light of the world ...)
Thank you for your attention!

Best regards,
David