Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 17th, 2013, 11:45 am #1

I want to buy a blu-ray player.

but i dont know what model to buy.

the prices are going from 100 to 1000 euro.

what player would you advise me to go for?

the player will come in the living room and would be conntected to a Panasonic TX-L32G10E LCD TV.

or does a blu-ray player goes much better with a more modern tv?

did some googling, and thought the OPPO BDP-103 is a nice player .... not the cheapest. also have the feeling the player has alott of futures that I will never use .... probably will only watch movies on the machine .... wont listen to music on it, or use the internet options

or is a much cheaper Sony BDP-S5100?

and how is it with land codes?
can a euraian player play japanese and us disks? or are their region free players?

their are so many options of players and I have no idea what to look for!

bubikoglu
Advanced Member
bubikoglu
Advanced Member

November 17th, 2013, 6:40 pm #2

shootgringoshoot wrote:
and how is it with land codes?
can a euraian player play japanese and us disks? or are their region free players?
If you can, try and get a region free Blu Ray player. Mine is region B only and I'm severely limited in terms of what Blu ray releases I can go for.

Players are locked to either region A, B or C

Most common regions are 'A' for USA & Asia releases and 'B' for European releases (also Africa, Middle Eastern and some ASIAPAC countries)

So basically, with my player, I miss out on all of the Region 'A' US releases which are not compatible with my player.

Alternatively, you may want to buy a Region 'B' player and 'unlock' your machine to become Region Free..but probably better to just go for a region free player.

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

November 17th, 2013, 7:04 pm #3

thank you for the info, member caligula pm-ed me and gave me some usefull information aswell.

he also recommended a region free player, and not necessary to buy a very expensive model.

if you only wnat to watch movies, a sony or panasonic player will do the trick.

he has a Panasonic BDP-BD60, and positive about it.

see what I can find in zurich

dekadentast
Advanced Member
dekadentast
Advanced Member

January 11th, 2014, 8:23 pm #4

Sorry if I occupy your thread, but I just wanted to ask a question and didn't want to start a whole new thread.
I have a region-free blu-ray player but there is something wrong with the chip now so it won't play region A. I was thinking about getting a HTPC with blu-ray instead and was wondering about the regions on blu-ray players for computers. Are all region-free (like DVD players for computers) or are those locked as well?