bleakness and despair

petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 5th, 2013, 6:41 pm #1

I'm wondering what might some of the most depressing movies be in your opinon. Not in the sense that you get depressed from watching them, but in the mood and style of the flick itself...

(of course I have a list of my own suggestions, but I'm looking for new tips and don't want to steer this thread in any kind of direction from the start)

Jönas
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jönas
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 5th, 2013, 6:49 pm #2

Sånger från andra våningen.

My sales/trade thread:
J?nas tapes for trade or sale

My wants:
J?nas wants

Harm
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Harm
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 5th, 2013, 10:25 pm #3

Requiem for a Dream depresses the shit out of me. Famous film of course, so probably not much useful as a suggestion.

Great stuff really, but I'd rather enjoy myself with a movie. However, every now and then it's a fitting watch.

petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 6th, 2013, 8:37 am #4

like I said, although it might be a subtle difference, the movies needn't depress you for watching it. For instance Salo is a movie that depressed me, but watching the depressed doctor in the epic Satantango, heading out in the night in search of wine, is an absolute joy, on a certain level...

nice suggestions so far though, no real hidden gems yet

OCP
Star Member
Star Member
OCP
Star Member
Star Member

August 6th, 2013, 9:45 am #5

How about 'Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes'...it has a certain kind of bleakness to it.

Other titles maybe 'Seul contre Tous' and the very nice surreal animation 'Tenshi no Tamago'.
And there are 2 nice documentaries namely 'Wisconsin Death Trip' and 'The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition' both dealing with great despair.

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 6th, 2013, 10:17 am #6

- il grande silencio - the big silence
it has a bad ending ..... found it pretty cool ..... put not a very optimistic ending

- alott of film noirs are depressing ...... in the sence that they are very dark and paranoid

- stalker, from tarkovsky

- taxi driver

Operazione Bianchi
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Operazione Bianchi
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 6th, 2013, 11:09 am #7

"Angst" is very depressive and disturbing

Jönas
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
Jönas
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 6th, 2013, 12:45 pm #8

Res aldrig på enkel biljett.

My sales/trade thread:
J?nas tapes for trade or sale

My wants:
J?nas wants

shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
shootgringoshoot
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 6th, 2013, 4:02 pm #9

I find the italian neo realism cinema very interesting ..... it is very depressif, it has probably too much drama and poetry to it, not what you are looking for at the moment .......

Umberto D, Mamma Roma, Germania anno Zero ...... In my opinion THE BEST cinema ever made!!!

petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member
petcor80
Superstar Member
Superstar Member

August 6th, 2013, 8:45 pm #10

the ending of Germania anno Zero certainly fits the description of this topic!
A lot of the other Neorealist movies are way more sentimental in my opinion. I've seen a few that I really didn't like at all... Mouchette and L'Eau Froide are good suggestions for movies with thematic links to Germania anno Zero.

A director who for me most fits the description of the topic I started is Philippe Grandrieux. His movie Sombre is (next to Angst, an excellent suggestion!) one of the most intense movies about a serial killer, so should also be of interest to Cinehounds who only care for genre movies. I had thought somebody whould mention him at least... but alas.

Another movie I can recommend is Une Si Jolie Petite Plage directed by Yves Allégret. I guess you can place it in the noir corner, maybe a late entry in poetic realism, anyway it has an incredible sense of doom that you rarely find in cinema.

Sauna, a 2008 horror movie from Finland is also something I would be looking for. The style of this one lies somewhere between Tarkovky's Stalker and Tsukamoto's Nightmare Detective

for more East European bleakness the "necrorealist" cinema of Yefgeni Yufit is something that impressed me a lot. Bela Tarr and Fred Kelemen are essential too.

now, is there more?