Vairocanum's INQ28

Vairocanum
Warrant Officer Second Class
Vairocanum

7:34 AM - Oct 14, 2016 #1

Hi there people of Ammobunker, this will be my first post on the bunker. I recently came back to the hobby during the summer after a 4 year hiatus and have been converting random things to practice in anticipation for the next edition of the CSM codex (if the rumors are accurate).

While looking at conversions on pinterest i came across the term INQ28 a lot and decided to look deeper into it. I've seen many amazing project logs while researching and it made me want to try my hand at converting non-marine stuff which is all I've done up till now.

I've decided to start building an inquisitor warband but need a bit of help as I'm completely new to INQ28. I've been deciding the members of the warband based on the 3rd edition Daemonhunters codex. Do those fit in with the INQ28 rules? I've downloaded the resources from "INQ28 Rules Discussion" on my phone and will read through them slowly but I thought I'd ask here first so I can get an idea of what to start collecting bits for. So far I have completed an Interrogator (which was supposed to be an inquisitor at first) and am working on a primaris psyker, familiar, and the inquisitor.

Anyways here is my Interrogator Calex Wren (still working out his fluff) C&C is welcome

[+] Spoiler

euansmith
Major
Major

10:06 AM - Oct 14, 2016 #2

I really like that you've sculpted him in mid action.

Welcome to the Bunker. There are a variety of sets of rules available for playing games in the Grim Darkness at Inquisitor level; 40k Kill Team, Inquisitor, Inquisimunda (a mash up of Necromunda and Inquisitor), In The Emperor's Name and One Page Kill Team (both versions of the FUBAR rules set), to name but a few. As a result, I would suggest just making some minis you like the look of, making up some fluff for them, and then worrying about their rules afterwards.

9:53 PM - Oct 14, 2016 #3

THe right arm need to be cut and raised up. If you do the action yourself, your shoulder will be up by your ear.

Razer
Corporal
Corporal
Razer
Corporal
Corporal

10:49 PM - Oct 14, 2016 #4

Very cool, nicely animated.

Vairocanum
Vairocanum

4:01 AM - Oct 15, 2016 #5

@euansmith: Wow I didn't know there were that many versions, I was just thinking about the Inquisitor54 rules haha. I'll take your advice and do some converting first. Thanks!

@ramshackle_curtis: Ahh I see what you mean, but I've placed the arm where it is due to where the "arm holes" are in the chestplate. Any higher and there would be a weird gap between the side of the gorget and the arm. I haven't sculpted a strap on the holster so I guess I could just say that it's mag-locked but with enough give to pivot? If he didn't have to draw the gun "straight up" he his shoulder wouldn't have to go up to his ear (if that makes sense)? Thanks a lot for the C&C its really appreciated, didn't notice till you pointed it out!

@Razer: Thanks! I was originally debating if I wanted to do a crouching pose or a striding pose, and ultimately decided on the striding.

Manus
Warrant Officer First Class
Manus

7:45 AM - Oct 15, 2016 #6

Hello - off to a good start here I'd say.

euansmith
Major
Major

10:06 AM - Oct 15, 2016 #7

Regarding Ramshackles point, I often try out a minis pose for myself to see if it is natural. Another thing to bear in mind is that real humans, even in armour, tend to have more give to them than plastic ones.

So, when re-positioning arms and legs, you might need to shave material off the inside of the limb to recreate the way that they squidge around and into other bodyparts and equipment.

Here, for example, I filed a wedge out of the minis left upper arm, so that is could intersect with his torso, allowing me to bring the arm far enough around for the pose.

One thing that I've learned from looking at other people's minis on this site, is that there is an obstacle to get over when starting out (I'm fairly new to this stuff too). That obstacle is the fear of messing up a mini by aggressive cutting. Seeing what lengths many of the converters here go to, really freed my up. Now my little men get hacked to bits and then greenstuffed back together.

Vairocanum
Vairocanum

9:57 PM - Oct 16, 2016 #8

@Manus: Thank you! I'm sure your project log will continue to help me spark new ideas.

@euansmith: Yea you're exactly right about the aggressive cutting. I've pretty much only converted marine stuff till now so I'm still reluctant to alter the parts too much cause I'm not sure if I'll be able to patch up seamlessly with GS. I'll keep practicing and get a feel for it and then figure out how much to cut off and where to cut stuff.

Tiny update for today, I finished the Inquisitor's familiar. All members of the warband will have hoods of some sort. Painting will probably come quite a bit later but they will also have a darker paint scheme.

Vairocanum
Vairocanum

8:48 PM - Nov 06, 2016 #9

Its been a while since I last worked on INQ28 stuff. I don't have that much non-space marine bits so I couldn't progress a lot, but I have made a bits order so when that arrives I can work on the warband a lot more. I converted this Primaris Psyker from a vampire counts wight king, I wanted to use the hooded head from the Deathwing set but the head was too big so i chopped off the sides and part of the top to make it fit better. Also if anyone has suggestions/tips for building a backpack unit for a magos that would be great because I'm not really sure how I'm going to build it yet. C&C is appreciated

Void Spinner
Void Spinner

1:12 AM - Nov 07, 2016 #10

Great green stuff