Slaves to Darkness

BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant

9:18 AM - Aug 13, 2017 #1

I want to start a Slaves to Darkness Warband. I'm going to focus primarily on the Chaos Knights kit. It's probably my favourite Warhammer Fantasy kit. I love all of the Slaves to Darkness range, but the Knights are really special. I think I will be able to carry over a lot of the conversion techniques I developed for my Chaos Space Marines.

I want to use this project as an opportunity to break my army builder mentality. So I will convert the knights as a group up to a certain point, then I will focus on completely completing one over the course of a single weekend - highlights and all.

I am notorious for biting off more than I can chew, I think focusing on one miniature at a time will be a good way iron out my finishing techniques and build a bit more confidence about finishing miniatures.

I think I will go with a greenish Nurgle style colour scheme as it pairs so well with my shoddy conversion techniques. Using the Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount for some design cues, I noticed he has a tentacle for an arm. A tentacle. Hmm. I also noticed that all of the chaos knights have designated left arms that hold the shields. That's kind of boring.

The main thrust of this project is that I want to spend more time working with green stuff. I can make cloaks, tentacles, horns and bones, sculpt pus and boils, and try some other things. I will equip them with all of the bits available on the sprue as well as kitbashing mainly the zombie sprue I think. There will be lots of skulls and sprouts.

BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant

7:25 AM - Aug 14, 2017 #2

Alrighty I was hoping I would be able to get away with just gluing the shoulders directly into the joints. But once I really set to the conversions everything just collapsed. I'm really heavy handed; lacks finesse, you might say.
Cludgeon would be the best word to describe my conversion style. I didn't even realise I just invented a word.
It's like bludgeoning someone with the backside of your axe. You know like; he's trying real hard, but I'm not even using the sharp side of my blade here.

I guess what I'm saying is that my hobby is where I come to relax and unwind. My hobby is fun, not a serious thing - although I do take it seriously - I also want to have fun with it.

So I will name the first guy Kludge. Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that I have to infact pin the shoulder joint, then attach the shoulder itself and treat it like a universal joint. First fixing the shoulder to the body, then drilling and pinning the elbow aswell.
For now I am using the Chaos Space arms to make a start, though I won't have any hard and fast rules about how I work around the left arm situation. The tentacles are a good cheap and universal option, but I will try a bit of everything to achieve certain goals. The aim of the game is to treat each one like and individual hero or character, and so each one should be different from the last.

Just some photos to show the work

ok, got the shoulders done, tomorrow will be the shoulder pads and maybe ill try making a cloak or two first.

Had a little fun trying to capture the moment. Will need to figured out a good way to photograph them and finalise the details.

Greatest miniatures ever.

euansmith
Major
Major

4:04 PM - Aug 14, 2017 #3

These are coming on very well. Bodge for the Bodge-god! Kludge for the Kludge-throne!

BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant

6:09 PM - Aug 14, 2017 #4

Haha thanks Euansmith, that made me laugh, I'll name the next one Bodge in honour of your comment. Man I like the miniatures so much I'm not sure I will convert them as hard as I implied, I'm really keen to paint one up. I might build my way towards the Lord and Sorcerer reserving the cloaks and most fancy bits for them.

Cheers!

BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant

11:08 PM - Aug 17, 2017 #5

Got some more progress on Kludge and his gang or misfits.

A new lord appeared quite ahead of schedule.

Ok so, it's been awhile since I made a cloak and I thought I would just give it a shot. This is my first try. I also had some zombie parts which are allowing me to make a start in the general direction I want to go. I think it will be worth building up the other 5 men, and bidding my time for another week. Next week I will grab the zombie box and skeletons boxs and go over the top with my kitbashing.

Looks like I smooshed it a bit

But at least I have an idea now of the general flow.

I'm rather pleased with how Lord Stodge is shaping up. I'll want to do some work to intergrate the zombie corpse, perhaps with some cables implying it is some kind of drip fed Sorcerer's device. Perhaps some Outgard or AOS28 connection.

Either way Lord Stodge and his brave band have become well and truly lost traversing the shattered realms. Relying solely on the guidance and signs given to them buy great Papa Nurgle and interpreted by the now Nameless Lord Sorcerer.

BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant

4:48 AM - Aug 20, 2017 #6

So I did the bases and finalised those first five guys.

Now i have set upon the nest five.

Showing some work on pinning the arms.

The next five are coming together really fast, I didn't get to take many photos

Let me know what you think so far. I really like the miniatures and so I dont want to damage them with conversions. I might try shifting the theme around and going with my own brand of Khaos Knights. I think I have converted them enough so that they are unique and characterful without me needed to go over the top much further.

Cheers
I'm having fun with this lot so I took some extra photos to help show them off.

From here I will need to experment with fuirther techniques and colour schemes. I think I want to go for a grotty Blanchian style, something like maybe terracotta>yellow orche> bleached bone with lots of sepia and brown washes. Problem is then I will have to find a scheme for the actual bone areas and come up with a contrasting base scheme aswell. Could get tricky. Going with a pre-determined colour scheme will be a safer bet, though less exciting.

A green Nurgle theme might work equaling as well, and will allow me to focus on actual painting and finishing techniques.
which is a goal of the project.

hmm...

Here are the last five.

BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant

7:52 AM - Aug 23, 2017 #7

So I got the last 5 done. I'm pretty happy with them, I've started experimenting with different ideas, using the tubes as corruption, and making tenetacles to bulk them out a bit more and give them some character. It was a happy accident actually, I kept rolling out way too much green stuff and I didn't want to throw it away, so I thought; oh well, tentacles for everybody!

I'm not sure if I will kitbash them further or not, I'm really fishing for advice on this one. I have already sealed the bases, I feel if I bulk the miniatures up too much then I will need to bring up the bases to match.
Seeing as I have already sealed the bases this will be a chore to build them up.

For now let's just enjoy the pictures while I muse on the decision. I could buy the zombies box and some scenery for basing, or I could just buy 10 more knights. The only pressure I'm feeling is my desire to paint the miniatures asap.

Patience young Jimmy-son, soon your time will come. There are some really great value boxes for the Slave to Darkness too, plus I think I know what I want to do for my Lord on Demonic Mount. It will require me to push strong with theNurgle theme.

I was really impressed today as I did alll the work on the weekend and didn't stop to take photos or even look. So it's like I'm laying fresh eyes on them, I forgot how much I did too.

Soon colour!

Omegon
Warrant Officer Second Class
Omegon

10:35 AM - Aug 24, 2017 #8

Looking good. The knight kit is fantastic. Have you thought about using the Varanguard to add some characters to the warband?

BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant

10:57 AM - Aug 24, 2017 #9

Thanks Omegon! Yes I have indeed, but I think I want to go with the Chaos Lord/Sorcerer on Manticore. I'm fairly certain they are two seperate riders. So then I was thinking I would just try to make some kind of centipede or lizard thing, like a giant Chaos spawn, some kind of scratchbuild Demonic mount. I've been looking a lot at the Forge World range, Kazyk the Befoulded and so on, there used to be this old FW chaos mount, idk what it was but it had wings and was some weird Demonic Chaos thing.

I'm not sure. I really like the Varanguard, (I think I saw the 4th horseman on instagram.) but I want to build something custom for my lord. It certain it's going to work out very well, so I'll always have the Varanguard to fall back on.

I really just want more Knights, there a still a few poses I want to try out. I could collect knights as if they were space marines!

Thanks for the comment!

BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant
BrotherJim
Sergeant
Sergeant

8:39 AM - Aug 28, 2017 #10

Ahh yes so a bit of an explanation recap. Basically I haven't started painting yet. This will be the last round of W.I.P photos.

I bought the zombie box and had a little fun with it. I didn't go too overboard as it just didn't seem nessessary. I actually need to remember to leave some space to actually do some painting.

Things spiralled dangerously out of control, I ended up doing all the jobs I thought I wouldn't. I used the snazzy little grave stone to do some basing, along with some plastic tube which I will attempt to make look like tree trunks.

So I did some basing.

I also added lots of small and random details, it was hard not to get carried away, but I don't really think they need too much.

I made a banner from green stuff, added lots of sprouts and pores which I later gently melted with my lighter. You'll see where I forgot to be gentle and accidentally singed them a little.

Everything was pretty straight forward. I'm not very good at sculpting with greenstuff, but I'm really good at taking shortcuts.

Ok so what's important is that I now need to zone in and focus on two at a time, finish the jobs that need doing and prep them for painting. I'm getting lost chasing my tail around in circles creating more problems then I solve at the moment. It's been fun; but it's time to finish them up.

So the last crazy mirad randomia of WIP photos. They came out backwards in my imgur so I'll do my best to put them back in order for your viewing pleasure.

INSANE CLOSE UPS!!!

Phewy we made it.

Now just to choose two and make it happen.