Sergeant
Sergeant
JDM
Sergeant
Sergeant

6:25 AM - Feb 03, 2018 #1

I INTRODUCTION

Hey folks,

Its been a while since I've posted anything on this site.
I moved away from the hobby for a bit, but I'm back!

I've recently been reading the 1980's Realm of Chaos books and I love the idea.
I know that there have been individuals that have used the rule set in more modern times, and the results they've produced were phenomenal.
This is my exploration of the rules. I have been, and will, more or less be letting the dice decide what the outcomes are.

II THE CHAOS POWER

Not wanting to pick one of the four major chaos powers, I decided to make a pantheon of my own, dedicated to a Daemon Prince rather than one of the chaos gods. The theme: Terror.
The pantheon is more of less the fantasy equivalent blend of the Night Lords and Alpha Legion... or something like that.

The incredibly messy and nearly incomprehensible development notes can be found here:
[+] Spoiler
I developed my own list of creatures to pull from whenever I needed to do a substitution. This helped to ensure that a theme ran through the pantheon, but I regret using a d10 + d8 to determine the creatures as the extremes only come up 2% of the time.

+-------------------------------------------------+
The Daemon Prince quickly became two, with the second chaos attribute I rolled being. duplication. I decided to run with it and promote an Alpharius and Omegon vibe.

The Daemon Princes each have their starting gear. Not too many chaos or daemon weapons, which is good because they don't really have hands to wield them.

The Chaos Steed was unfortunate enough not to get any chaos attributes, But it is a killy mess of praying mantis, scorpion and crow.
The Beast has a cute combination of chaos attributes, it has a very low toughness score but it can turn invisible at will. Also, because it has the head of a tick, it can latch onto opponents and suck them dry. A terrifying thought!

The lesser daemon of the Night Lords is a weird one. Nothing humanoid at all. Funnily enough they have technology, an awesome mutation, but they have a very low Ballistic Skill. So they may never hit...
The greater daemon is a doozy. I didn't want it to be humanoid. There is something more terrifying about non-humanoid creatures. So that theme runs through the whole pantheon. Being able to freely choose patron attributes lead me to abuse his access to technology. It might be a little cheesey, but needle rifles aren't that powerful, right?

I threw some sketches together trying to comprehend how a creature with three goblin shark heads might function. This turned into a general sketch of what certain mutations of this pantheon might look like.
III THE WARBAND

I've rolled up the entire warband. Its hefty.
I've also bought all of the models I'm going to use.
Today I am only going to show off the Champion of Chaos.

Champion of Chaos - Taem, The Meek

A pathetic individual.
Hardly worthy of being a Champion of Chaos but nonetheless is the leader of this warband.
'Puny' is such a debilitating mutation. It divides Strength and Toughness by 4! You can see how unwilling I was to accept that fate at first. After some time I decided to take it on the chin and allow this to be Taem's fate. His starting equipment will be distributed to the rest of warband, except for the long bow.His reward on the other hand is really good, and makes up for his lack of physical ability. The 4 chaos spawn have all been rolled up, but I'll reveal them when I have the miniatures closer to completion.
Taem himself is a very very simple conversion. A chaos cultist head has been transplanted on to an Elven archer's body.

I look forward to determining Taem's fate!

nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

9:04 AM - Feb 03, 2018 #2

This looks like it'll be fun! Also, I'd *love* a goblinshark. How would that even work?

RADU LYKAN
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
RADU LYKAN
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

8:25 AM - Feb 20, 2018 #3

Am looking forward to more of your war band, it takes balls to keep the weaker rolls especially on the leader.
I rolled a bit better than you on my own leaders, I rolled a war band for each of the four gods with the slaanesh one ending up as a chaos lord with daemon weapon etc while in comparison the other 3 champions were a bit less fortunate with their rolls but nobody ended up with puny lol, possibly the worst roll for a leader
Here’s a plog with pics in it (still not sorted my plots on here since the photobucket thing ) for as far as I got https://yaktribe.games/community/thread ... cery.4349/
I see one of your sketches of the three heads mutation is heads within heads, that’s what I went with for my two headed tzeentch bloke

euansmith
Major
Major

6:51 PM - Mar 18, 2018 #4

Hey, Radu, can you please change your photo to something else, as the photobucket image makes it difficult to read your comments? Thank you.

RADU LYKAN
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
RADU LYKAN
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

8:47 AM - Mar 26, 2018 #5

Only just saw this, my avatar was always blank, it was just the standard ammobunker pic but that must have been hosted on photobucket, looks like one of our lovely mods has sorted it out for everybody affected now.
Anyway, @JDM any progress mate?

euansmith
Major
Major

9:16 AM - Aug 05, 2018 #6

I really like the idea of a "weak" leader for a Chaos Warband. It ties in to so many pulp fantasy tales, where the antagonist is some weedy scholar or noble; hiding behind his stronger bodyguards. He must bring something to the party; brains, cunning, or even just the fact that he has been chosen to lead by the capricious Chaos Gods.