nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

January 25th, 2015, 8:04 pm #1

Hello!

Finally getting back in the saddle, metaphorically speaking, when it comes to painting. I'm using the OMAM challenge as a lovely way to start those good habits again, and happily completed my first proper figure in nearly four years - Captain Victoria Haley from Warmachine. So well done Ammobunker, the threat of a public shaming for commiting and not delivering helped me get moving again!

I've had this figure primed and in storage for about ten years, so thought it would be a nice choice to start with. You can see how it should actually be painted on the Privateer Press site.

It's evident I have a lot of relearning to do and tried quite a few different approaches on this figure, but as a starting point I'm reasonably happy. The lady's a Warcaster and that means magic and voodo, so I tried to make the blue cloth have a slightly glowing quality to it by highlighting up with green but it didn't work out quite as planned. Also my highlighting needs practice ... a lot of practice. Metallics almost worked, but I think playing with bright, shiny, dull, worn and verdigris on a single figure was pushing my luck.

Discovered the Vallejo pigments last weekend, so excuse the enthusiastic coating of Natural Umber on the base. But my word - that pigment is amazing, and I need to learn how to use it properly.

So there we go - my contribution to OMAM up and running with something completed in January ahead of schedule. Phew.

Figure mounted on a GW base (complete with Marine helmet) as I don't play Warmachine so it doesn't make me twitchy crossing the gaming streams

17/05/2015: Link updated because Photobucket hates people who reorganise their folders.

Brambleten
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Brambleten
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

January 26th, 2015, 12:12 am #2

For a first figure in four years she is looking pretty good

I like the metallics, there is a nice variation in them across the figure. The spear blade is particularly cool and the verdigris works as it is limited to the pistol

For glowy blue/green (and undead spirits) I've taken to the GW Technical Nihilakh Oxide (basically verdigris in a wash) over a light grey followed by blue or green inks/washes, depending on which way you want to go.

What else have you got in the pipeline?

Keravin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Keravin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

January 26th, 2015, 10:11 am #3

Welcome back and the metals look good. I don't usually see that version of P Haley. So used to the other one.

nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

January 26th, 2015, 10:58 pm #4

Thanks for the comments excellent people.

@Brambleton - This Citadel technical range is totally unknown to me, but looks potentially nifty. Interesting to see them move out into this effects range. For verdigris I've normally used either Scurf Green or Sick Green then Falcon Turqoise (Vallejo Game Color range).

@Keravin - Just looked and found the Captain Haley alternate and Major Haley version with the super whooshy cloak, and that looks seriously cool. Wasn't aware of the other versions, so thanks for the heads up.

Next up? I found the Blood Angel objective marker from Space Hulk in the to-do pile, so that could be good fun!

nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

January 31st, 2015, 9:14 pm #5

Finally sat down and start putting paint on figure again. Obviously quite WIP while I work out what to do with it

Don't like the edge highlighting on new Blood Angels and prefer the older soft orange gradient, so may try and incorporate that. Not too worried about being able to repeat a technique on other Termies as the other figures from the Space Hulk were mid-conversion to be Space Wolf Terminators. But can I find them since moving house? Noooo ...

Alongside this, I finally childproofed my paint collection by buying a decent toolbox then fitting it out with wooden inserts and pluck foam. Luxury. Daddy's little angels aren't going to be meddling with this any time soon.

03/05/2015: Link updated because Photobucket hates people who reorganise their folders.

nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

February 2nd, 2015, 10:42 pm #6

Well that escalated quickly. Space Hulk objective marker finished already. The base is simply a placeholder to put the figure on for a photograph. In-game it won't have a base - or I may use one an industrial bases from the CMON Kickstarter whenever they arrive.

Usually I wouldn't bother with a rear shot, but the back of the chair is so wonderfully detailed.

Camera shots magnify all your flaws in the most wonderful way. Obviously I'd swear the red/orange layering was flawless IRL, but patently that's not the case Still playing with metallics, but feel like I have a little more control of them - although the verdigris did get a little out of hand, but no matter! All the wiring on the termie is dull greys/blacks as the reds and purples were already quite a barrage of colour.

Next up? Well I've started on a couple of scouts for my old Space Wolf army ...

Mmm, brown!

03/05/2015: Link updated because Photobucket hates people who reorganise their folders.

nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

February 9th, 2015, 11:03 pm #7

Mojo clearly not running this week. Trying to work out how easy it is to paint up troop types with minimal highlights and using washes. Coupled with a somewhat slapdash paintjob, darned if I can take a half-decent photograph this evening. But anyway, here's the work in progress so far ...

Upsides - legs, utility bags and colour choices. Downsides - many! Tried to dampen down the metallics as it felt appropriate to a scout force, but they look awfully shiny in the above photo and not quite sure what's going on with the sword now. Still, this is why we have things in progress.

dean
Major
Major

February 10th, 2015, 1:22 am #8

I am liking the combat knife. How did you do that? Just washes? I like the mud wash on metal, dulls it down a bit and gives it an oily look. Black will do it too but too much black gets into sooty.

Great work on the Objective. Dont worry about the camera, the mini is usually larger than life size so the boo boos usually are too.

nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

February 10th, 2015, 8:35 am #9

dean wrote:I am liking the combat knife. How did you do that? Just washes? I like the mud wash on metal, dulls it down a bit and gives it an oily look. Black will do it too but too much black gets into sooty.
Cheers, Dean! Knife is Vallejo Gunmetal then I dragged Scarlett Blood and Bloody Red over the top. The edge was drybrushed with Chainmail Silver but that's now a little too bright along the edge, so I think you're re right that something like Devlan Mud will see action to dampen it down a little, and fit with the more muted palette I was aiming for.

nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

February 14th, 2015, 10:47 pm #10

Still waiting for my mojo to return on the Space Wolf scouts, so picked another random figure to paint. It's a Cthulhu turn marker for Arkham Horror and a mini version (purpose tbc).

I mulled stealing trying to recreate the colouring from the excellent Ben Templesmith's Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse graphic novels, but then realised it could also double as an amusing genestealer patriarch turn marker for Space Hulk, and lo the palette was set ...

Progress is good, and it feels like he's already going in the right direction. This has also gotten the juices going for finally tackling the Space Hulk genestealers sitting in another box that I've sorely neglected for a few years. Well, maybe.