Men of Bronze- Paper Templates to Proper Dudes

Easy E
Captain
Captain

10:08 PM - May 23, 2018 #1

I have been working on a gaming project for a little while called Men of Bronze. It focuses on ancient Hoplite battles of the Greek world. This is a game in the style of Daniel Mersey's "Rampant" series of games (Lion Rampant, Dragon Rampant, The Men Who Would Be King, and Pikeman's Lament). The design ethos has been:

1. Unit vs. Unit combat resolution without model removal
2. Streamlined play that focuses on both players being constantly involved
3. Decisions, decisions, and more decisions
4. Simplified and abstracted unit types
5. Somewhat Historical Outcomes

The game rules have been picked up by Osprey Games for publication int he osprey Wargaming Series in late 2019. However, prior to that time I need to make sure I have some armies to photograph in action, armies for demos, and armies for online battle reports. This thread is dedicated to follow the painting process for three armies.....

Spartans

Corinthians[/img]

Macedonians

For playtesting the game, I used a number of paper Stand-up counters that I made for the game. These formed the basis of my might Greek Hoplite armies. They were cheap and easy to make, but tend to fall down from a bit of wind. Plus, as much as I love the price point of paper templates, they wouldn't look good in the Osprey Games book would they?

Greek Peltasts approach Persian forces

Persian troops ravage the Greek fields

Corinthians square off against the Spartans during the Corinthian Wars.

I have an irrational fondness for my little paper Men of Bronze, I need to get them upgraded to real miniatures. Hence, this PLOG is titled paper Templates to Proper Dudes. Some actual painting to follow....

Easy E
Captain
Captain

10:20 PM - May 24, 2018 #2

Here are a few WIP photos to wet the whistle....

Macedonian Phalangites of Phillip the II of Macedon.

Some Spartans supported by Peltasts in the back

The whole big painting desk....

Easy E
Captain
Captain

4:43 PM - May 30, 2018 #3

I actually got some minis painted for Men of Bronze by a friend of mine. They are all Victrix Limited figures from their nice Ancient Greek and Macedonian ranges.

A Spartan Phalanx flanked by armed Helots as Psiloi.

Here is a phalanx of Corinthian Hoplites to battle against the Spartans during the Corinthian War. The Corinthian War took place after Sparta beat teh Delian League/Athens in the Pelopenession War. Eventually, an alliance of Athens, Corinth, Argos, and Thebes fought against eh new Spartan Hegemony with Persian aid. The war was on land and sea. Eventually, as the Allies began to gain momentum, the Persians switched and started backing the Spartans again and the war pretty much sputtered out.

You can read up and see a lot more of these guys on my blog if you are so inclined....
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com ... ronze.html

Easy E
Captain
Captain

9:08 PM - Jun 06, 2018 #4

Macedonian Phalanx

The Macedonians decided to go with more spear and less shield in their phalanxes. I guess it worked out for them as Phillip the II managed to conquer Greece before getting himself assasinated.

Ash
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Ash
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

9:38 PM - Jun 06, 2018 #5

Very nicely done.