I enjoyed that. Good world.

Gretchin~
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Gretchin~
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

August 27th, 2016, 10:24 pm #4

Thank you! I'm looking to build it as a gaming table and it'll be the setting for a campaign project I'm in the middle of writing. :3

Not-not-kenny
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Not-not-kenny
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

August 28th, 2016, 11:44 am #5

"Theohooligan" might be the best word I've read all day.

Gretchin~
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Gretchin~
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

August 28th, 2016, 12:12 pm #6

I was getting really tired when I wrote this and misread 'theologian' as 'theohooligan' and I thought it was a rather amusing term for a religious ne'er do well. :3

Alexander
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Alexander
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

September 2nd, 2016, 7:14 pm #7

Beautiful

Gretchin~
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Gretchin~
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

September 2nd, 2016, 10:14 pm #8

Undercroft City
A while ago, I remember reading the blog of a rather splendid author who was writing about the Carceri d'invenzione prints of Giovanni Battista Piranesi, which heavily influenced the Romanticism and Surrealism of later ages, and inspired later surrealists like Kafka and Escher. More closer to home, it is easy to just how much of the Mordheim artwork was perhaps inspired by these prints too. Indeed, the Carceri prints are exactly how I imagined Undercroft City:
wrote:Undercroft City is the very mirror of Frankylmoign, as above so below, the City itself is a twisting maze of consecrated waterways, sewers, crypts, hidden shrines, sunken cathedrals and catacombs. It is a known haven for the more darker and unsavoury cults ratified by the Ministorum; followers of flesh, blood and pain stalk its gloomy walkways, outlawed redemptionists organise their crusades and black priests offer vices beyond imagination to enable anyone to sin in the Emperor's name. The theohooligans and recusant-gangs mark out their territories with arcane symbols, grimly coloured candles and incense-markers.

PDH
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
PDH
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

September 3rd, 2016, 9:03 pm #9

The idea that gangs mark their territories with candles and incense is so wonderfully 40k in my mind. I'm looking forward to this going forward.

Gretchin~
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Gretchin~
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

September 4th, 2016, 3:25 pm #10

Thanks, PDH, I hope you find this all inspirational. :3
The Reliquary
The idea for the Reliquary came about as I was discussing the newly released version of Kill Team with a local hobbyist. I had recently finished reading the latest novel in the Invisible Library series by Genevieve Cogman (a little disjointed and sometimes frustratingly under-fleshed series, but well worth the read) and moving from discussing the typically gothic-industrial/underhive setting that would work really well for Kill Team (seeing as it is something of a simplified Necromunda) I proposed the idea of a continent-sized baroque library would be fun too. Indeed, I could easily imagine a protracted firefight between the likes of PDH's Ordo Scriptorum and the Reliquary archivist guards.

As for tangible imagery concerning the Reliquary, I immediately turned to graphic representations of Lord Sepulchrave's library in the Gormenghast series and Vincent Ward's concept art for the Monastery (to be used in the original Alien 3).

wrote:Almost every Shrine World has some kind of centralised reliquary, where the sacred artefacts of the subsector (and sometimes the entire sector) are housed, alongside varying copies and editions of religious texts (some rare, some not). The Reliquary on Glebe IV is the largest in the galactic cluster, easily spanning several million kilometres. It is a continent-sized edifice of crenelated spires, curved domes, gargantuan arches and intricate stained glass windows that stand miles tall.

They say that many pilgrims that enter its monolithic walls, can spend their entire lives looking for that one relic hidden amongst the twisting labyrinths of packed shelves. They say that some internecine skirmishes over the ownership of certain holy artefacts ground to a stalemate several centuries ago, with the newer generations born since unwilling to break the attrition.