KrautScientist
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

September 9th, 2018, 3:56 pm #2031

Cheers, euan! Everybody seems to hate that shark jaw cod piece, so I may have to reconsider that element ;) It's a bit frustrating because it seems like the perfect part to add some chapter-specific decoration, yet the placement is very much the problem: My original plan was to use it on the Marine's collar, but it seems that would overclutter the head area quite a bit...

In the meantime, it seems like all the kitbashes I have wanted to do for a while - and couldn't - now keep bubbling to the surface, so here's another kitbash: A feral worlder based on the AoS Darkoath Chieftain:

It occured to me that we don't get to see nearly enough feral worlders in Inquisitorial retinues, and the chieftain just seemed like the perfect base model. The model is so detailed and delicate that I had to pay attention to carefully bring it into the 40k setting without going overboard.

Seeing how tall this guy is, I think he would make a good follower for the - equally imposing - Inquisitrix Elianu, especially since she looks like she might have come from a warrior culture of some sort herself:
As always, let me know what you think! :)

euansmith
Major
Major

September 9th, 2018, 4:40 pm #2032

Good golly, that Chieftain doesn't even look like a conversion. Amazing!

Trappisto
Sergeant
Sergeant
Trappisto
Sergeant
Sergeant

September 10th, 2018, 3:18 pm #2033

Looks great!  The little details really sell him as a sci-fi piece rather than fantasy, without losing that feral vibe.  I think the shells on his chest draw the eye nicely and immediately say 'Mad Max'!

KrautScientist
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

September 13th, 2018, 2:41 pm #2034

Cheers for the kind words, guys! I really appreciate it! :)

So here's another small update: After a bit of hemming and hawing, here's the final setup I have come up with for the Carcharodon:

I think it works well enough in that the model still looks clean enough to read as a member of the Deathwatch, yet the jaw also adds a certain barbaric je ne sais quoi ;)

If I have one small regret, is that the shaved down jaw looks less like a shark jaw now, and more like a generic monster jaw. But oh well, you win some, you lose some ;)

Trappisto
Sergeant
Sergeant
Trappisto
Sergeant
Sergeant

September 13th, 2018, 2:59 pm #2035

Looks good to me - I was going to suggest moving it up to the collar, but saw that you'd already considered it and ruled it out.  Certainly looks less like an 80s bikini now though XD

I think the bone colour against the Deathwatch black will look great.

euansmith
Major
Major

September 13th, 2018, 5:38 pm #2036

That looks less Mankini, for sure. I guess that, maybe, it could have gone behind his head, like an Iron Halo. Still, he looks like a boss, and, I'm sure, as @Trappisto says, it will stand out interestingly against the black armour.

KrautScientist
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

September 15th, 2018, 1:25 pm #2037

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

Another small round of tweaks: I still felt I needed to make the feral worlder look just ever so slightly more Imperial, and Augustus b'Raass over at The Bolter & Chainsword came up with the excellent idea to just shave off an aquila from a Space Marine bolter -- brilliant! ;)

Now the sword was really the only area with enough space to put the aquila ;) Plus it looks a little weird right now, in electric blue, because it was shaved off a Primaris bolter. But I am confident it should work out well enough once painted.

While I was at it, I added two very small nubs to the Feral Worlder's head, to either hint at some kind of subtle augmentation or at some kind of tribal decoration hammered into the skull:
I also couldn't help myself and added some very subtle decoration to the Carcharodon as well, intended as a small shout out to the look of Malchy's Space Sharks:

Now any further decoration and ornamentation will be left to the painting stage ;)

euansmith
Major
Major

September 15th, 2018, 4:32 pm #2038

Have you seen the Warhammer Community video on making a Carcharodon? It was nowhere near as cool as yours; though they did one neat thing. Although they just started with a vanilla Primaris Reaver, they gave him a Tzaangor Chainsword, which worked really well.

The Aquilla on the barbarian's chainsword is cool. I also really like the brain-bolts screwed in to his head.

KrautScientist
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

September 18th, 2018, 3:28 pm #2039

Cheers, euan -- no, I hadn't seen that. Sounds like a clever little conversion idea. I didn't have any of those swords, unfortunately. Then again, I am pretty happy with the CSM chainsword, because it looks just vicious enough to add a bit of a barbarian vibe, while also looking functional enough to match the rather sleek Deathwatch look.

Lamby
Warrant Officer First Class
Lamby

September 19th, 2018, 6:10 am #2040

O boy that feral worlder looks like he's about to step out of the screen and start raining ruin all around him ;)

Outstanding and deceptively simple conversion work, and the brain bolts suit him nicely too.